OBNOXIOUS NEIGHBORS!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teachings4Me, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jan 13, 2011

Good afternoon everyone! I'm on snow day number 4 and catching up on my atozforum addiction. (Okay, maybe not addiction, but I haven't been on here in a while and I'm loving getting up to speed with what's going on-- hence my name popping up all over the boards)

Anyway-- here's my dilemma:
    I moved to NC in the summer and found this beautiful condo to rent. I love everything about it (besides that it's on the wrong side of town adding about 10 unnecessary minutes to my commute, but I think it's worth it.) The rent is a little steep, but again well worth it (hardwood floors, 2 bed, 2 bath. garage, balcony, views of the woods, etc.) Living in a condo, we have to deal with what my dad calls the "condo nazis" but it hasn't been too troublesome. It's a first floor unit and the upstairs unit was vacant until about October. It was so quiet, it was wonderful. Now, I'm not too far out of college, and I can stand a little bit of noise (think: college apartments) but when our new neighbors moved in upstairs... HOLY MAMMA they're buffaloes! They're also renting, they don't own the unit. They have been loud since day 1. At first, I just figured it was them moving in and getting settled, but it has never stopped! I can't figure out the family situation either (not that it's any of my business) but the 2 teenagers, the 3 year old and the dog don't help with the noise. First, I'm irritated that I'm paying as much as I am for rent and that the walls/ceiling are as thin as they are. When I'm in my bathroom, I can hear them singing upstairs in their shower! I can hear EVERY step they take... Second, it starts about 6 am and goes easily until 10. Now I'm a teacher that gets up at 5, likes to be in bed shortly after 9 and needs quiet to sleep! My bf works nights and has to deal with the noise all day long while he tries to sleep. Third, it sounds like they never leave-- not for school or anything, which also has me confused. I've never even met them-- we're never out at the same time so I can't politely say "Hey, shut it!" What do I do? I don't want to have to move AGAIN because of them! I've got until June to decide.... but I know I can't live another year like this... They stomp around so much it makes the blades on our ceiling fan shake and the frames on our wall rattle! I'm about to complain because I know well enough that if we, as renters, made such a noise, the association would kick us out (one of the members shares a wall with us), but I don't want to **** off the people upstairs, especially with two teenagers! AHHHHH Just SHUT UP already! What should I do?!:help:

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 13, 2011

Maybe in conversation to the assoc. member next door you might ask "wow, do you ever hear the people upstairs?" And see if they could be the one to handle it.

4. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jan 13, 2011

Well, I've determined I have to do something...being at home for the last four days made me realize just how loud they are....

5. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 13, 2011

I would speak with the "condo nazis. i would think they would rather have you as a tenant, than the wild bunch. Sometimes I wonder what the floors/ceiling are made of that it can be so noisy. Not the same as a home, but we seem to have that same problem in hotels. Why are they even up at 2 o'clock in the morning and why are they jumping up and down with boots on??

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 13, 2011

I would mention something to the "condo nazis" as well. I'm sure they'll have a plan in place for such issues.

One of my friends only lives on the top floor of buildings. She says it's quieter that way.

I've always lived in one-story single-family homes, so I'd have no clue if I were being too noisy. Noise was never an issue in my college dorm. My dorm was all concrete blocks and concrete floors. Not much noise.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 14, 2011

The whole neighbor issue & living in such close quarters is the main reason I don't want to live in an apt or condo. You never know who your neighbors are/going to be. I personally hope I never have to live in one.

Good luck!

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2011

I have a family with two toddlers up stairs from me, I really don't notice it until someone says something about it
    I figure it is the price I pay for a ground floor Apartment also I have a dog thanks to a squirt bottle she has stopped the annoying barking now it is just one soft growl my dog is very protective of the apartment and us so we had to stop the barking (so I guess it was payback for the kids bouncing all over the floors upstairs :D)

Noisy is just something you have with a ground floor unit
    I say just live with it. After all you don't plan to live there the rest of your life do you?

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 14, 2011

I doubt the neighbors are being obnoxious on purpose. They probably just don't realize how loud they are being. You might try approaching them on a friendly basis and tell them you live in the apartment below. Maybe take a cake or pie as an ice breaker and welcome them to the complex. I wouldn't even mention the noise during the first meeting. Sometimes, just being reminded there is a person living below them (rather than a nameless tenant) is enough to make them a little more considerate about the noise, especially once they have a face and a name to go with the person. If the noise persists, you might meet with them again and explain your work schedule and your sleep is being affected. Hearing them singing in the shower, however, is just something you're going to have to live with. It isn't their fault the floors and walls are so thin.

If that doesn't work - or you don't feel comfortable doing it - then I would suggest handing the problem to the condo Nazi.

My last semester of college, I had the same problem with the guys in the room above us. I never confronted them directly, although I should have. Instead, I went to my RA (since it WAS his job to handle stuff like this). At first, they DID become obnoxious and went out of their way to make more noise - so I kept reporting them. They finally got the message when the RA told them they would be kicked out of the dorm if he had to come up there again. Still, I could hear them talking almost every night and was convinced they were doing that on purpose too. The RA went up one more time, but came back and said they were talking in a normal voice. He pointed out that the room connected to mine (by a bathroom) was empty and probably amplified the noise from upstairs since there was nothing in there to absorb the noise. That room had been occupied during the first semester and I realized the noise didn't really become a problem until it became empty.

So, again, the neighbors may not realize how loud their actions are and the building may be contributing to part of the problem as well.

10. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jan 30, 2011

Yes, yes, all valid points. I lived in a dorm for 2 years and in college apartments for 2 years, followed by another apartment the year after and I know what to expect when it comes to dorms and apartments with noise... I guess I'm just disgusted that a condo would have walls this thin. I can't imagine paying big bucks to own something as soundproof as my cheap college apartment. Ah well, since I've posted, I've found an incredible apartment complex about 15 minutes away (would only add 2 minutes to my morning commute) that has everything I could want, for a better price, and I could live on the top floor. :) I'm going for it in June, no more noisy buffaloes overhead, no more condo nazis, and the landlord won't be in to "check up" on me. :)