Objective

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mardi08, Jul 2, 2009.

1. mardi08

mardi08 Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

Hi all,

What does your objective say in your resume?

Thanks!

3. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Jul 2, 2009

I don't have an objective. To me, it seems silly. My objective is to get a job, isn't that obvious?

...just my two cents :)

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

I used it to map out my plan for obtaining a permanent teaching license. That didn't really fit anywhere else on the resume, and I wanted to emphasize that I will be fully certified by the start of next year.

If I had not needed that, I would have omitted the objective entirely. I would only include it if you have something important to add that doesn't fit neatly anywhere else.

5. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

This is where I went blank in my interview (the only one), when the P asked why I wanted to teach at her school. It was like because I need, want, have to have this job! I didn't really say it but I sure lost my mind for a minute!

6. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

I don't have one either, just a summary.

7. TeachEnglish

TeachEnglish Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

I use my objective to state that I want to teach and coach/sponsor something. This way, the employer knows that I can do something else. Also, the education career counselor at my college said to put "fluent in Spanish" in my objective too because it's so useful today. I think the objective can be used to show exactly what kind of job you're looking for. (ie chemistry, American literature, etc)

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

I don't have one. I'm sure the principals know what your objective is.

9. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 2, 2009

I've seen sample resumes that have highlights of qualifications where the objective typically goes. Has anyone put that on a resume? How do you not sound cliche?

10. mardi08

mardi08 Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

Thanks for the advice. I just found a sample resume in which she put a quick summary in place of where the objective would be. Here's the link:

11. mardi08

mardi08 Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 2, 2009

I don't have an objective on my resume either. I saw this online but I did not like the way it flowed on my resume. But I am sure if you said something like: to find a teaching position for the 2009-2010 school year, it would be enough.

My resume was pretty non traditional I think. Mainly because I had no clue what I was doing. It had been a few years since I had to think about one and I had to research resumes online to even know where to begin. It took me two weeks for two pages including references.

13. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

I have an objective on my resume. I've found that it has been helpful for principals, actually, but I think that is because of the area I'm in and what I want to do. Mine is right under my name and contact info and says,

Objective: To obtain an elementary teaching position in an urban community. Will be ready for employment July 1st, 2009.

I put that on there to show that a) I could start working in July (which is common in Los Angeles because of tracking) and b) that I want to work in the inner-city. I only applied to schools in the inner-city and I wanted to demonstrate my commitment.

If there is something that you want to demonstrate that the rest of your resume doesn't explicitly show, I would recommend one. Otherwise, I agree with the rest of the posters and don't bother. I just know that LAUSD likes it.