Obama's speech On 9/8/2009

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Sep 7, 2009.

?

Obama's Speech

Poll closed Sep 10, 2009.
  1. Will you be showing it?

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Can a teacher opt out?

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Can your kids (parents) Opt out?

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  4. Did you have kids opt out?

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Does it have educational merit?

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  6. Is it political?

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. Have you or did you read it before hand?

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2009

How many will be showing it?
    Can a teacher opt out?
    Can your kids (parents) Opt out?
    How many kids did opt out?
    Does it have educational merit?

I have read the script for his speech
    It is not too bad
    I only have one problem when he says near the end:
    "I’m working hard to fix up your classrooms and get you the books, equipment and computers you need to learn."
    I agree he is working but HE IS NOT THE ONLY ONE there are thousands of others who are working "hard to fix up your classrooms and get you the books, equipment and computers you need to learn."

Lets remember what Amanda says "keep it nice"

Edit Now that I am on the east cost I forget that a late post is not late on the west cost

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 7, 2009

I will be showing it.
    Teachers have 100% say in my school.
    No parents have had anything but positive comments.
    No kids are opted out.
    Yes, it is a civics lesson, and a language arts lesson, and fits perfectly into my Make Your Own Dream Come True theme for the year.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2009

Add what area or state you're in. I think it would be interesting. Or not.

Georgia--northwest region

How many will be showing it? Showing it in two out of four of our 5th grade classrooms
    Can a teacher opt out?Teacher opts out by choosing to be in the classroom that doesn't show it.
    Can your kids (parents) Opt out? Parents tell 5th grader that they are not to watch it, and the kids are in the "opt out" room
    How many kids did opt out? We'll find out tomorrow!
    Does it have educational merit? Principal sent a letter home to parents and listed the standards that are addressed by watching the speech.

Personally--I was asked to be in the room that doesn't show it. Darn. I was late to the decision and didn't get to say I wanted to see it. I have a sneaky feeling that my co-workers think I'd put my political feelings in, but I wouldn't do that. Seriously.

But I'm going to watch from the doorway while monitoring the other kids. Maybe we won't have so many so we can watch it in 3 of the classrooms. And I'll keep my mouth shut.

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 7, 2009

I'm not showing it because I'm in Kinder, but would show it if I was in an older grade.
    It has been a non-issue at my school so any teacher that wants to can show it, and there students will watch it.
    I believe it definitely has educational merit.
    It's not political.
    Yes I've read it, actually a few times.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2009

We are not allowed to show it or talk about it. So most of the question were moot.

I'm concerned that we are setting a precedent. If a small number of parents object to any public figure, they can prevent any class discussions regarding that person.

I'm not even sure if I can even bring up the fact that Barack Obama is president any more.

7. KDS

KDS Companion

Sep 7, 2009

most schools in my area are not allowed to show it or talk about it either...

and i agree...bad precedent...i think it would be worthwhile to show and then if people disagree with what he says, then they can express their ideas...it should be all about discussion on the world around them...

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2009

I wish people would read it BEFORE saying yes or no I don't vote for Obama, But the speech does seem to be pro-education and non-political it should be a non-issue there are other things to deal with that are more important then this.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 8, 2009

We will find out the plan for showing the speech when we get to school today. I'll post this afternoon. I do know that we will be showing it and that parents do have the option to opt out of it.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2009

I will be at lunch. I may try to replay it afterwards

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 8, 2009

As a district, we are not showing it live.
    At the campus level we review it to see if it fits in the curriculum, with guidance from the district.
    If it fits in the curriculum, we can share what meshes with the curriculum.

The official district statement says something about curriculum of the speech, debate, communication classes but never references elementary. I'm thinking we aren't showing it.

Texas

I haven't heard anything from parents.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2009

I've read it on-line and will certainly be showing parts of it (if my technology allows) or reading parts of it with my grade 7/8 students tomorrow. It's message is an important one for the students to hear as they start the new school year. I wish I could do it today, but with it being the first day of school I have other responsibilities at the time it is being aired.

13. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Sep 8, 2009

Parents complained so our district in CT won't be showing it. I think they will put it on the website if people choose to view it afterward.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2009

I will be showing it.
    Teachers may or may not show it at my school.
    Parents may opt out (though no info was sent home about it).
    1 transfer has opted out...it will be her third day at our school.
    Of course it has educational value.
    It isn't political.
    I have read the speech.

15. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 8, 2009

Like MrsC, I will be showing it in my Social Studies classroom, despite the fact that I am in Canada, not the US, the speech is non-partisan and then we will discuss why the kids think that some parents wouldn't want their kids to watch it.

I love how important current events are in my new curriculum.

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2009

You know you have a point this is is another item sent from "on high" for the frontline teachers to have to deal with (on the first day for some). It is a reasonably good "stay in school, do good work" speech but shouldn't it come a couple weeks into the school year (for some)? This is a logistical problem which is never understood by educational outsiders, time is needed for frontline teachers to intergrade it into the classroom. Sometime before Columbus Day, (Thanksgiving (Canada), Indigenous People's Day Berkeley, CA, or Native American Day in some parts, just trying to be politically correct :) )
    I agree a "pep talk" is needed near the start of the school year and coming from the office of the President couldn't hurt if it is non political.
    The problem is logistical not political.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 8, 2009

I just got this memo. Remember that I teach online so my students can wander to the television at any time if their parents permit it:

Dear **** Teachers,

As you are probably aware, there is some controversy regarding President Obama’s planned message today to our nation’s schoolchildren.

Many districts in Ohio have chosen not to air the President’s speech, while others are mandating attendance.

****’s position is that all students are welcome to watch the President at noon. This is not encouraged OR discouraged at this time.

The speech will be linked from the school announcements and will be available for students to view.

If students choose to watch the address instead of attending an [online class] session scheduled in conflict with the speech, students should not be penalized.

The President’s message includes encouragement for students to stay engaged in their coursework, to work hard and to do their best.​

18. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 8, 2009

We're not allowed to show it because our district doesn't have the bandwidth for streaming video. We'd crash the system if we tried to show it.

19. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Sep 8, 2009

agree he is working but HE IS NOT THE ONLY ONE there are thousands of others who are working "hard to fix up your classrooms and get you the books, equipment and computers you need to learn."

But he is the one with this message to the students? I think it's a given that there are others working hard to improve education in the USA.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 8, 2009

Someone help me understand here! Why would ANY parent reject having their kids listen to the president give a speech about how they can improve their education?

If it's about the fact that parents feel that their kids already know the importance of education, then what's wrong w/ hearing a highly public, influential figure & role model stress that point?

If it's that the parents resent Obama himself & don't want HIM to tell their kids what to do, then I guess I'll never understand.

Would people rather a celebrity like Brad Pitt or Britney Spears make a speech like this?

I mean political figure or not, why don't certain parents want their kids to hear this? It's to their benefit.

BTW, if I had my own classroom, I'd definitely want to show my class Obama's speech. I mean even if a small percentage actually listen & promise themselves to stay on track & do well in school than it would have been worth it.

21. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Sep 8, 2009

It is really stupid to not allow this speech. This is (like it or not) our president and he is delivering a wonderful encouraging message to students concerning education.

The decision to ban this speech from a school system is very narrow minded. Most school systems are driven by fear, and this is a shining example of that fear in action.

How much choice do our students have in learning or hearing about other elements of history? Do we not mention Hiroshima because Johnny is of Asian decent and it’s not a good memory for him?

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 8, 2009

I was told this morning that I was not allowed to show it. I had not really planned to anyway, because I had a bunch of other things going on, but when I was told I was NOT ALLOWED, it pissed me off.

The POTUS is speaking, with a message to children. I've said it before, I'll say it again-as a citizen, I was taught to respect the office of the President, whether I liked the man or not. There have been Presidents I didn't care for, but I still listened when they spoke because I would like to form an opinion.

I agree with Sarge-"Barack Obama" has become a dirty word anymore, and that is sad.

I'm deep in the heart of red country-Nebraska.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 8, 2009

I don't recall it being this way w/ past presidents. That's a SAD day if this happens! :mad:

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 8, 2009

Some time ago an old friend wondered aloud why really smart people never seem to consider running for President.

The brouhaha over this fairly innocuous speech stands as Exhibit A. Who needs the grief?

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2009

It was during our lunch. I also didn't know if it would be appropriate for 3rd graders, and I didn't really know about it anyways until it was too late to send anything home to parents (which I felt I would have had do, just because of all the controversy). After I read it I wished it would have worked out better; it would have been a good message for the kids. I agree that it wasn't great timing; the first day back after a long weekend is always crazy, and for those just starting I'm sure it was even more chaotic!

26. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Sep 8, 2009

Very sad.:(

In the past any American would let their kids listen to the President of the UNited States and decipher if they agree or disagree but no no...not with President Obama....there has got to be underlined issues other than political for such an explosion in deciding whether to listen to the President or not...after all...he was addressing students on education.

Sad day and I am truly hurt. Sometimes I am not even proud to say I am American.

27. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Sep 8, 2009

We had the option of showing it or not showing it. We didn't advertise to parents that we would show it. I had one note this morning from a parent who didn't want her child to see/hear it. We sent that child to a teacher who did not plan on showing it.

28. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 8, 2009

well... consider that when he was elected his approval rating was around 72%. It now stands at 48%.

Those numbers don't reflect racism (they just realized he was black?). I believe it reflects a public who either aren't happy with his policies/how he is handling things...or having doubts about them.

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2009

Let us not call parents or teachers names.
    Many complaints are from a lack of information and hearsay.
    Both sides have given out miss information in the past.

I remember both Clinton and Bush having messages opted out by parents.
    with Bush it was NCLB
    with Clinton it was .... well you could write a book on why some would not want to have him talk to kids (and I voted for him).

It is at the local level where the choice is made it has been that way since public schools started in America. And local boards Have to listen to the voters.

30. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 8, 2009

I thought it was a good old-fashioned pull yourself up by your bootstraps kind of speech. Honestly, considering McCain was also schooled away from mainland US (he was born in the Panama Canal and was an army kid), I bet we would have heard a similar speech from him if he'd been president. I'm glad my school decided to webcast it no matter who was speaking. My kids need every kind of inspiration possible.

31. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2009

To all of you who think this is something new in the world of politics, I have to tell you it isn't! It is partisan politics! Ms I, times really haven't changed all that much. This was a partisan controversy 18 years ago, too. Let's step back in time to 1991 when George H Bush gave a VERY similar speech:

When President George H.W. Bush delivered a similar speech on October 1, 1991, from Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington DC, the controversy was just beginning. Democrats, then the majority party in Congress, not only denounced Bush's speech -- they also ordered the General Accounting Office to investigate its production and later summoned top Bush administration officials to Capitol Hill for an extensive hearing on the issue. ... n 1991 most of the controversy came after, not before, the president's school appearance. The day after Bush spoke, the Washington Post published a front-page story suggesting the speech was carefully staged for the president's political benefit. 'The White House turned a Northwest Washington junior high classroom into a television studio and its students into props,' the Post reported."

With the Post article in hand, Democrats pounced. 'The Department of Education should not be producing paid political advertising for the president, it should be helping us to produce smarter students,' said Richard Gephardt, then the House Majority Leader. 'And the president should be doing more about education than saying, "Lights, camera, action. With Bush in '91, the Democrats wanted to investigate him.

No, times haven't really changed, now have they?

32. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2009

I had a parent send a note that their child can not partake in any lesson/discussion with Barack Obama's name in it the entire year.

If people have that big of a problem with our president, they need to move to a different country.

33. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 8, 2009

That is outrageous! There's partisanship and then there's complete denial of an elected head of state. I've disliked past heads of state but have never denied their existence. This sends a chilling message to the upcoming generation, and I'm a little frightened for the future. :dizzy:

34. JoshCHT

JoshCHT Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

The speech was a good speech and there was nothing partisan or bad about it.

It was all about how kids should stay in school, study, and have goals.

He told students that they could rise above their circumstances and succeed.

I can't believe that critics were calling it things like "socialist", "communist" or even "nazi"! :eek:

There was an older gentleman that was interviewed on CNN last night that didn't want his grandkids to watch Obama's speech because of "commonism". :dizzy:

The rhetoric is getting way too inflammatory. I think the conservatives/Republicans are trying to incite violence.

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 8, 2009

My recollection is that George W. Bush's numbers at this point in 2001 weren't so hot either. I say this not to disparage Mr. Bush and his support but to note that slumps in ratings tend to befall the incumbent once certain portions of the electorate wake up enough to realize that all the problems in which they're invested didn't get solved to their satisfaction overnight. That they don't wake up enough to realize that said problems can't and couldn't have been solved overnight is unfortunate but highly typical.

36. JoshCHT

JoshCHT Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

I think it has more to do with the crazies on Fox News (and other conservative media) calling Obama a socialist/fascist/communist/secret radical Muslim/Anti-Christ etc and these crazy conspiracy theories (birthers, deathers etc) that they have promoted.

A lot of ignorant people actually believe these things.

The racism and violence at these tea parities and town halls hasn't helped either.

37. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2009

I have heard McCain do his "stay in school" speech (at a school I was teaching at back in the 80s) and it is equally well done as Obama's
    BTW he was not an Army kid But a NAVY Son !:D

38. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2009

Again lets keep this educational
    is the speech appropriate for k-12?
    Most of us agree it is
    and it is not political.

Now how about the timing of it?
    for many it is the first day of school
    when I taught I spent the summer getting ready for the first day and first week of school (and first semester too)
    was it in any way an intrusion in your classroom?
    It would have been in mine I would have wanted a week or more notice (I do not know how much of a notice teachers got)

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2009

Why were the approval ratings busted out? Did I miss something?

As far as timing is concerned, you can't possibly please everyone. We've been in school for over one month at this point, so...again, you can't please everyone. I personally had plenty of notice. And I like the idea of showing it the very first day, but if not, then the second...I think those schools which began today and didn't watch it for that reason should gather students in an assembly tomorrow or have every single classroom show it at the same time tomorrow morning.

I wanted my students to see it live, to really be part of the event, and I'm glad they had the opportunity.

To the parents who said they didn't want their children involved in any discussion with Obama's name in it: that may top all of the ignorant things I've heard in the past several days stemming from this topic.

40. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2009

:confused: What are you talking about? Racism and violence? I see people exercising their first amendment rights!

41. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 8, 2009

Josh, you may not know, but we ask that political discussions be taken elsewhere, which is why we are trying to focus on the speech and not our personal political opinions. Please stop the political bashing so we can keep this thread open. There are unreasonable people on both sides and there is no need to lump everyone together. (I'm sure you wouldn't like to be lumped in with the crazy pro-Obama guy who bit someone's finger off at a protest? )