Obama to increase time in school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by skittleroo, Sep 27, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2009

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090927/ap_on_re_us/us_more_school

Ok, I am alright with adding school in summer because kids don't make progress during the summer (and many regress), but school day???? I teach kinder and they barely make it to 3. Longer days doesn't equate with better/more education.

One of the ways that he justifies increase in the school days is for us to babysit - parents are worried about what their kids are doing after school So, they need to stay in school so parents can finish working and not be responsible for their kids?

I'm sorry, but I have 6 kids and have the responsibility to ensure they are taken care of past 3.

And, are we still going to be paid the same amount for more work??????

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

4. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Sep 27, 2009

No, we're just going to volunteer. We don't have or need lives. :p Well, maybe more jobs will open up... but where is this money coming from again? Maybe the department of education will start a cell phone company and have a store in the school? :lol:

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2009

Ummm, my school hours are CONTRACTED time. My contract is not negotiated with the FEDERAL government. The Feds should stay out of local education decisions...

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2009

yes I just saw the other thread.................thanks

7. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Sep 27, 2009

Agree, what may good for one state or district is not the best for another.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2009

Mods, could we possibly combine the threads into one discussion?

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 27, 2009

I keep hearing that disadvantaged and poor families need longer school hours - maybe we could have this decided by each community. Rich/Advantaged children have a normal school day and poor/disadvantaged have school til their parents come get them after working two jobs.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2009

Ouch!

Talk about getting kicked when you're down.

"I'm sorry, honey, but we don't have enough money for you to get out of school early."

Absolutely NOT what you meant, I know, but probably the way a lot of kids would see it.

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2009

:|

12. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 27, 2009

I agree! My kids would be those kids that would be told "Sorry mom only makes $50,000 a year so we cannot afford to live where school gets out early" My kids would revolt, both are high acheivers. My daughter will be graduating cum laude (possibly magna cum laude) this year. I just read the article to my kids and they said if America would just develop a work ethic and apply it to school then maybe they would not have to add time.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 27, 2009

I know I'm probably in the minority here - but I do see a big loss in the kids' academics over the summer. If you think about it, they only attend school 1/2 of the year - 180 out of 365 days. Maybe not extending the actual school day, but in this global economy with so many other countries attending just more hours of school, limiting the 3 months the kids have off in the summer wouldn't be such a bad thing. (Don't throw things at me :)).

14. Mister Teacher

Mister Teacher Companion

Sep 27, 2009

Yeah, I haven't read the whole post, but the Yahoo headliner said something about keeping schools open on weekends so kids would have a place to go to be safe. I'm all for that, but who is going to hold the schools open for them? Teachers?

Like somebody said earlier, we CAN have lives, ya know...

15. skimmel

skimmel New Member

Sep 28, 2009

I haven't read what President Obama has said, but many discussions about time spent in school remind me of my schooling when I was still in Korea. My middle school day started at 8PM and ended at 3PM or 5PM, depending on day of the week, we had school Saturday, and only had about 2 months off from school (including holidays, I believe. It was three weeks in the winter, one month in the summer, and a few days of vacation.)

Apparently by high school I would had been packing two lunches (one lunch, one dinner) and arriving at school by 8am and leaving at 6PM or 8PM. There were often highschoolers on TV being interviewed about how they would only sleep 4-6 hours a day in order to keep up to all the studying (20 subjects are taught at once) so that they can maintain a grade good enough for college.

The first year I moved to the US, and there was that 2.5 month long summer break, I was so bored and stumped. I couldn't even study ahead, because there wasn't a standardized textbook to look at to see what I would be learning next year, nor was there a way I could see what the students in the US had been learning so far. I just knew that I was giant leaps ahead in math, music, and art compared to everyone else, but otherwise the education system seemed so arbitrary that it was difficult to make out who was being taught what.

Anyway, long old story aside, I think students in the US would benefit greatly if their long vacations were spread out throughout the school year. I know some teachers dread vacations because the students come back and don't remember anything, but maybe there's a way to avoid students from spending so much time away from the classroom and most importantly, their peers.

16. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 28, 2009

I'm sure we would be expected to do this with no increase in pay. I am equally sure that this would be one of those nonfunded requirements handed down by the federal government. I know my tiny district cannot afford to increase everyone's salary to make up for a longer school year. We are on a limited tax base.

17. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Sep 28, 2009

First - we are done at the end of May and start again in early August, so that is about 2 months off, not 3.

Second - I like the idea of spreading the breaks. A district near me is on a modified year-round schedule and I'd love to do that. They have about 5 weeks off in the summer, but their Fall and Spring breaks are 2 weeks. So they have a nice break after each quarter with a slightly longer one in the summer.

Third - I'm fine with adding more days if I am paid accordingly.

18. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 28, 2009

I have a question about these extended fall and spring breaks. Do you still have the days off for regular holidays? Like, we are home today for Yom Kippur. You don't lose out on that because you have 2 weeks off at the end of fall, right? Still a 4 day weekend for Thanksgiving? Columbus Day? Etc?

19. Mister Teacher

Mister Teacher Companion

Sep 28, 2009

I'm sure it would depend on where you were. I mean, we don't get Jewish holidays off, nor do we get Columbus Day off here in TX...

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2009

We don't even have that long, so I am NOT okay with shortening summers even more than they already have been. There are better solutions.

21. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 28, 2009

Our kids don't go back until the last week in August - so they do have 3 months - end of May until the end of August.

22. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 28, 2009

I sure hope we never subject our youth to anything like this. What a tragedy.

Being bored in summer is actually a good thing. It encourages self-reflection, self-direction, and recuperation.

23. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 28, 2009

I don't know where everyone else is concerned about the modified calendar but ours is : we start the first week of August then have off Labor Day, a week in October, a week at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas, a week in February (the week of President's Day) and a week for Spring Break in April. We get out the end of May.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2009

I wouldn't mind this....as long as the school day remains the same.

25. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Sep 29, 2009

This thread sounds like more people voicing their political opinions than really thinking about what is good for the children...

All that anyone has heard about "Obama's plan to extend the school day" is purely speculation up to this point.

I already teach afterschool intervention to teach sixth graders how to ADD (without fingers)... why aren't they learning that in first grade? Maybe more school hours would allow time for first grade teachers to teach two and a half hours of Houghton Mifflin Reading (low income Reading First school) AND math.

26. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Sep 30, 2009

It's a pretty frequent occurence on this board, even though politics are "supposed" to be against the TOS. However I have noticed that as long as you are on a certain side of the fence you are allowed to make all the thinly veiled political posts you want.

27. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 30, 2009

I have noticed EXACTLY the same thing. :whistle:

28. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2009

uuuhhh, actually I voted for Obama thank you. I agree with most of what he stands for. However, I am a person with a mind of my own and happen to NOT agree with this. This is a great perk of living in America. My reason for starting this thread has nothing to do with politics. And no what Obama wants is not speculation. If you watch the news you could have heard him say it himself. He makes no bones about it.

I personally believe we should have shorter summers so kids don't regress as much, but if you are telling me a kindergartener needs to be in school longer than 7 hours a day - NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! You can keep them in school 24 hours a day and they will stop learning after a certain time.

I am so sorry if your district has tons of 6th graders that can't add. I believe the the quality of instruction needs to be looked at not the quantity.

29. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Sep 30, 2009

I'm a bit torn on this.

I read the article and it says our students still go longer than any other country-yet we are the lowest in academics...so...going longer doesn't seem to be the answer.

The 'teacher' in me-says well studies show that they forget things over the summer break.
    However, the other side of me says a few things:
    #1-heck no, I want my summer break
    #2-heck no, these kids need to have family time-perhaps bringing that back could decrease some of the problems in the family home.
    #3-I don't buy the I'm bored thing. There are TONS of stuff or kids to do during the summer-with or without money.

I personally think-if we'd get away from that STUPID test and the set in stone criteria-and just let us teach to where the kids understand and we can have good discussions about areas that students are interested in from time to time-instead of curtailing them almost every time because 'we gotta get this stuff in before the test'. Then we might be better off as an educational country.

JMO-feel free to agree/disagree or totally ignore :blush:

30. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2009

I am soo tired of hearing about other countries out doing us. Of course they do because many of those countries only allow the smart kids to stay in school. The other ones are sent to trades or worse if they can't hack it. These comparisons don't make sense. You are comparing ALL of our kids with only the BEST AND BRIGHTEST of many of those other countries.

31. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2009

I am glad I read your post before I posted. I was just going to say the exact same thing.:lol:

32. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2009

No, not really.

From the 4th grade NAEP test:

55% of the students got this correct (keep in mind that 25% would get it right by guessing). 42% got it wrong.

From the Singapore Math 4th grade placement test:

Perhaps I should also mention they're not kicking kids out in fourth grade.

33. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Sep 30, 2009

I certainly do not support year round school - prob for my own selfish reasons (hello burnout?!). But also I dont think that it is the answer to our school system issues.

However, I stand by what I said regarding political posts. They are supposed to be against TOS but as long as they are on one side of the fence they are allowed.

34. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Sep 30, 2009

I'm not comparing..I'm saying what I got from the article. The article I read about OUR students said this information. Thanks.

35. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2009

It seems to me that this is another rhetorical discussion from the politicians. If the federal government does not provide the pay for the extra hours which according to someone could be as much as three more hours a day. Which by the way already breaks federal and state work laws, no one is supposed to work over 8 hours a day. The states would need to provide the pay. If the states can't provide the pay and the federal government doesn't provide the pay and the government still expects us to aquiess to the demand; my guess is we as members of the NEA and AFT could have one of the largest strikes in US history. Because no teacher I know is going to be forced to work extra hours every day without pay. Then what are they going to do fire a few million teachers and replace us all? Yeah right!

36. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 30, 2009

My 2 cents and more:

If we don't have 100% parental involvement, then nothing will change, regardless how much time we spend in school. I call home to all 25 of my kids at least 1 time a week. I share with parents some strategies to help their kids with homework or how to modify behaviors. I can tell which parents are involved by completed homework, test scores, and behavior. It is all about communication, not how long we are in school or how much money we pour into our schools. Other countries value education. Some families in the USA value street life or taking care of family members. If this happens my salary better raise $20,000!

37. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2009

First of all, there are lots of issues in regard to how, where, and when NAEP tests. These tests are given to a "sample". There are nationally known educational researchers that question when and how this test is being given.

Only if a child passes the Primary Six Leaving Exam do they get the privilege of moving on to secondary schools . And even then they are "tracked" according to intellect.

Parents are also responsible for paying for alot of fees for education- tuition, tutoring, etc.

Singapore also has the death penalty for drugs..... Think how smart some of our kiddos would be if drugs didn't play a part.

Special needs kids are exempted from attending school at all.

Still not comparing apples to apples.
    and this is the best example because the other countries don't do as well as Singapore. You also have to consider Singapore's population.

38. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2009

politicians (from either side) say lots of things they can't back up to support their views. Surely we all understand this happens.

Do we want U.S. to be stronger in standings - absolutely. But keeping kids cooped in a room longer than a normal work day isn't the answer.

I can't believe we would even suggest kids to stay in school longer than most U.S. workers work. My kinders are in class 7 hours a day and Obama wants to add up to 3 hours. ARE YOUR KIDDING ME>>> We seriously want our kids in school 10 hours a day?????? I can't believe anyone would support that.

I have no problems calling out a president(politician) who is acting ridiculous. The same way I think NCLB is crazy and Bush was riding it like a bandwagon, I feel the same way about Obama's move.

I believe the key to helping our kids compete powerfully is MOTIVATING them. Giving them a reason to learn - forcing them to stay in a room won't make them smarter.

39. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2009

Maybe Obama or his Ed secretary never had to read the Federal and State work laws that employers must post in a central location at all jobs in the USA. Lol

40. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Sep 30, 2009

With all the political back and forth, this comment made me laugh out loud! That posted right next to the minimum wage requirements, right?

41. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 30, 2009

I think it would be wise for all of us to be expressing our feelings to our Representatives and Senators.