Obama statement

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by czacza, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 2, 2011

From the Godfather........

Sonny: "What the hell is this?
    Tessio: "It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes."

More currently.........

U.S. Navy Seals: "It's a U.S. military message. It means that murderer, Bin Laden, sleeps with the fishes."

2. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 2, 2011

Burial at sea also prevents the exact location from being known and becoming a focal point for those his followers. It should help reduce his effectiveness as a martyr, although it certainly won't eliminate it.

From what I've read, burial at sea does comply with Muslim law, as does burial within 24 hours. I am glad our military respected the customs of Muslim law, despite the heinous nature of the man himself. :thumb:

3. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

May 2, 2011

I am in Abu Dhabi now and they are reporting a little bit of a different perspective on the news here. Depending on the channel that is on, they are either showing the scenes in NYC and D.C. and the relief that America is feeling. That is CNN. BBC is reporting more along the lines from Pakistan and Afghanistan, showing how it actually happened and that the European Union is also happy. They give a little more history behind bin Laden and al Qaeda. They show some of the locals in Pakistan and Afghanistan and how they are also glad. No one knew that he was living in the city. Al Jazeera (which is also broadcast in English) is pretty much the same as BBC. It is being reported that the Pakistani president did not know ahead of time that we were going to go in and do this final attack. It said he wishes he did know. I saw him giving a statement. They have also said that the people in the countries over here want the U.S. to either withdraw or stick to the time frame for withdrawal of the troops now that he is dead.

They have sent out a worldwide travel alert warning Americans living and traveling abroad to be alert and to stay in their home or hotel as much as possible and avoid demonstrations. I think it will be safe for the most part in my country because most people came here to get away from the terror. But only time will tell.

It is Muslim tradition to bury the body within 24 hours. The news about this broke when I was on my way to school this morning... about 6:30 a.m. our time on May 2nd. I think Pakistan is an hour ahead of us.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 2, 2011

Our news station said Hitler's death was also announced on 5-1.

I am glad he's dead...but I would have rather seen him caught alive and faced everyone.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 2, 2011

We can agree to disagree. When I listened it just hit me wrong. I think it would have been a much more powerful message if the first part had not centered around the "I" decided, briefed, called or whatever else he said. We didn't need to know the obvious. It just felt to me like he needed us to give him credit for doing his job. I think the center of attention should have been the thousands of brave men and women who have been trying to follow through on his orders, not the one who gave the order. Also, what took him so long? If he knew about it in advance, why didn't he have his speech prepared?

6. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 2, 2011

I so completely agree. Where he said, "I", he should have been saying "we." Arrogant. Other than that one paragraph, his speech was pretty good.

I'm just glad Bin Laden is gone.

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 2, 2011

God Bless the U.S. Navy Seals........ They are a hard core, skilled, brave group of warriors..... :thumb::thumb:

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 2, 2011

"Arrogant" isn't a word I'd ever use to describe President Obama.

In his speech where he used "I" statements, it was generally to describe his actions within a timeline of events. He has typically given speeches like this, where he describes how everything unfolded. There are things that he, as commander-in-chief, did that no one else did, so it wouldn't be appropriate for him to use "we" statements all the time.

Below are ALL the "I" statements that President Obama used in his speech. I think that in every one of them you'll see that he is either describing his role in the events as they unfolded (and those sorts of descriptions are best made with "I" statements) and/or decisions that he made as commander-in-chief (and those sorts of decisions are made by no one else). I guess if you want to be critical of him, fine, but I don't think it's appropriate to criticize him for saying "I" too many times. He used an "I" statement exactly 7 times. He used a "we" statement 37 times.

"Tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world that the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of al Qaeda, and a terrorist who’s responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children."

"And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against al Qaeda, even as we continued our broader efforts to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat his network."

"Then, last August, after years of painstaking work by our intelligence community, I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden."

"I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside of Pakistan."

"And finally, last week, I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action, and authorized an operation to get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice."

"Tonight, I called President Zardari, and my team has also spoken with their Pakistani counterparts."

"And tonight, let us think back to the sense of unity that prevailed on 9/11. I know that it has, at times, frayed. Yet today’s achievement is a testament to the greatness of our country and the determination of the American people."

9. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

May 2, 2011

Facebook status I saw: "Obama birth certificate and Osama death certificate in the same week??"

[​IMG]

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 2, 2011

:lol:

They buried him at sea for a couple of reasons: 1) so his grave would not become a shrine and 2)no country would take his remains (so the news reported). They did bury him according to Muslim law (and that's nicer than what I think he deserves).

[/QUOTE]

The news here reported that the Navy Seals went into his mansion in Pakistan (that happened to be near a Pakistan military base). He actually fought back and was shot in the head. This took place a week ago; however, they wanted to make sure that it was actually him so completed DNA testing to ensure it was him.

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 2, 2011

* If we want this thread to stay open let us try harder to not make it political and have emotions rise to a level that has caused past threads closed

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 2, 2011

I think we have moved away from the original thread...with that said, I cried last night when I heard the news. My baby cousin has been in Afgahnastan for going on 18 months. He has a small child (just turned 4 last month) that he has only seen for less than 6 months at a time (twice) since she was born because he has been deployed to Afgahnastan. All I can think about is that is the sacrifice our family and especially his baby, have made for our country. Now I am praying that in 6 weeks he comes home safely. Our brave soldiers have been fighting this demon and his troops for too long, but I am not stupid enough to think that this is the end of it.

13. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 2, 2011

I wonder if this was the last thing bin Laden saw ........ Navy Seals are awesome...:thumb:.. I like the statement about "when" the SEALS have to use a back up handgun.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTVBYlHsIRY

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 2, 2011

I had a difficult conversation with my 5-year old this morning. My 10-year old and I were discussing what happened, and the younger one overheard. Of course, she wanted to know what we were talking about.

Me: We're talking about a very bad man who had killed a lot of people and tried to hurt a lot of innocent people around the world.

Her: So what happened to him?

Me: Well, we killed him.

Her: I thought it was bad to kill people?

Me: Well, it is. He killed a lot of people.

Her: Then why did he get the same thing?

I didn't really have an answer to that.

Make no mistake, I'm glad he's incapable of harming or causing others to harm innocent people. But sometimes it takes a 5-year old to bring you back to the reality and gravity of the situation.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 2, 2011

Yes, indeed, kcjo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.