Obama statement

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by czacza, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 1, 2011

He gets the 72 Virgins.....they just happen to be 72 of his former suicide bombers. :p

2. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 1, 2011

I know how bad, devastating, evil, horrific, etc it is that our soldiers are captured, tortured and killed. I just hope that nothing fishy comes out of this and makes us look even worse than we already do to other countries. Hopefully, we didn't torture him or do anything hypocritical.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Hypocritical?

4. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 1, 2011

Break the Geneva Convention.

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 1, 2011

I doubt he was tortured...but I wouldn't give a darn if he was.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 1, 2011

I'm proud we have the Special Forces that we do. They are a brave group of men/women ..... who have taken out a merciless, evil murderer of innocent men, women, and children........

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 1, 2011

What?

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 1, 2011

How many times in 1 speech did he say "I" and take credit for it? It makes me sick that it turned into a political campaign speech.

9. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 1, 2011

I'm not saying that we did torture him or break the Geneva Convention. I clearly wasn't there. I was just expressing concern that I hope that nothing comes forward incriminating the US or our military.

Maybe I'm crazy but I would care if he was tortured. I think it's horrific when our soldiers are captured, tortured, videotaped, murdered, etc by other countries during this time of war. It's unlawful and it's evil. Obviously, Bin Laden is a horrible, bad man (that doesn't even cover it) but that doesn't mean that our men should be unlawful or evil as well.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Guess I have a higher opinion of our Special Forces. Pakistan gave permission and support of this operation. There may have even been a Pakstani helicopter involved in the mission as they were being threatened by Al Quaeda in Islamabad...The President was clearly informed on the planning and progress...our forces have been focused and dedicated to tracking OBL for nearly 10 years...Obama made getting OBL a priority...mission accomplished.
    I'm sure we'll hear more about it in the coming days, but my main concern isn't a breach of the GC...I'd be more concerned about rogue terrorist cells and sleeper cells who do not live by such codes.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 1, 2011

Of course I am glad that Bin Laden can't harm any more innocent people but I'm worried about retaliation from his supporters. They are already reporting increased security at bases on the news.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

It's a great day to be an American (even if you're an American in Mexico). I am proud of country... :)

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 1, 2011

I think that LUCH's statements might be being misread. I'm reading it not as though she thinks our troops would have broken the GC's, but that she really hopes nothing comes out that we did. There most certainly be ramifications to the US finally killing Bin Laden. There are a lot of people in the world who hate us. Remember how we felt when we saw those people in other countries pouring out in celebration of 9/11? We were ready to attack and kill...and we did. Now, go turn on your TV. Go look at the scene in front of the White House. Do you not think that supporters of Bin Laden and Al Qaeda feel something like we felt watching those scenes?

Also, as much as I also respect our troops, it would be a lie to pretend every single troop has been above board every single instance. Quite the contrary, there have been multiple well-publicized incidents involving US and allied troops mistreating enemy prisoners.

I think, what LUCH is saying is that she hopes that every single move we made was above board, and we won't have to deal with scandals involving torture and abuse that would seriously mar the extent of our victory.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 1, 2011

It didn't come off as a campaign speech to me...

15. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 1, 2011

agreed...He mentioned family of 911 victims and everything. Very sensitive and humble speech.

0----------

I am loving the hundreds of people at the white house cheering!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.