o_O ooookay, so I would love some tips/advice on how to tackle my homeschool job

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Peachyness, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2011

I will be working with two lovely boys. They are sweet and seem pretty bright. But, well, they are boys. :rolleyes:

Today, I went in to observe the mom work with them. Today was their official first day in homeschool. The way their school works is they go to this very neat private/charter school 2.5 days a week, and the rest of the week they work at home. So, parents at this school are HIGHLY involved. Parents and teachers are consistently communicating with each other. It's a really great school!!!! So, the family hired me to work with their kids 1.5 days a week (mom/dad works with them on Mondays).

So, I went in today to shadow/observe to get an idea on how the day works.

So, I'm starting this thread because, well, I'm feeling overwhelmed here. I don't quite know how to introduce myself to the boys and go over my rules with them. The mom did go over the rules with them, but I want to do it again.

Questions:
    1) any neat ideas on how to introduce myself to the boys (a fun activity, etc). And vice versa?
    2) any ideas on a fun way to go over mom's rules (and a few more thrown in for my sanity)
    3) rewards: so mom is doing the marble thing to reward them, but I'm wondering if I can do something FUN with them to reward their hard work or if they do something simple as come to the table without pouting. Remember, they are two lovely but rambunctious boys who rather be playing video games or playing with the dog (oy, I don't know what to do with the dog either). I was thinking of doing PAT with them, but don't think it would quite work as I'm barely with them as it is. I would just like to reward them in addition to the marble thing that mom does. I don't know though.... I feel so at a lost since it's just two boys.

I'm sure I will need to seek some more advice from you, my brain is a bit fried from observing all day..... :whistle:

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 30, 2011

Will you be their primary teacher for the other 2.5 days?

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 30, 2011

What are their ages? I tutor a homeschool boy 4 hours a week. I grew up with the dad but hadn't met the mom when I started. They are part of a homeschool organization that uses the classical curriculum, which I hate. Anyway, they are happy that I bring something new and different to the mix. And I really like all of them. I don't like to issue rules in the beginning like I do with a classroom. We go with the flow. This little guy is rather hyper and the mom is glad that I am firm with him in that regard. What else do you want to know?

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2011

Teacherpippi, I only teach them 1.5 days a week. The rest of the week they go to their classical school and have their regular teacher.

Upsadaisy, that's interesting that you didn't start off with the rules. Any reason why?

When it's time to get to work, does your little guy drag his feet and pull out every trick in the book to avoid school as much as possible? That's what I saw when I was observing mom. Of course, having taught for 6 years, I do have pretty good classroom management. I'm just worried that since they are so lax with mom, that they will do that with me. I'm just wondering how to come down hard on them, without them hating school even more. They seem like bright boys, just, well, they are boys and rather play.

ETA: One is in second and the other is in fourth. The second grader seems either right at grade level or perhaps above, while the fourth grader seems to struggle in all subject areas. Both boys seem to have attention difficulties.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 31, 2011

I never have to state rules when tutoring because they just seem to sense what we need to do. When my 6 year old kiddo gets distracted, I just redirect him. Sometimes I have to tell him that what he is doing isn't what students do. Sometimes I have to specifically tell him that I'm watching to see if he can finish something with zero talking.

On my first visit, I traced him and he colored himself and we added words to describe him. It is still hanging on their wall. We do have a separate little classroom to work in, which is nice.

We used to break for snack, but now he brings it in to the table and eats while we work so we don't waste time. He has matured a lot in a few months.