NYT's Article - Teacher Shortages!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Genmai, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Sep 16, 2009

I used to think highly of the NYT until they started publishing ridiculous articles about teacher shortages like this one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/15/education/15teach.html?ref=education

Where do they say these shortages exist? New York they say? And California? Baltimore I can understand since it is a really *tough* blighted urban system. But New York and California??? Did I misread the article?

::crosseyed

3. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 17, 2009

Maybe we should all move to the Philipines to get jobs here in America.

What the heck?:confused:

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 17, 2009

It also did state that districts were basically using the Filipinos because they could get it all done in one trip. The new teachers also paid a recruiting firm. Random thought who got a kickback from that?

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 17, 2009

I know it's upsetting to read about schools hiring from the Philippines, but at the same time some of these districts have 50 or more openings even after hiring from overseas. In places where there is truly a shortage, teachers from overseas are better than no teachers.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 17, 2009

If they are talking about New York, they probably mean NYC. The rest of New York has enough teachers and has even laid off some. I know that there have been NO job fairs anywhere within hudreds of miles where I live.

7. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

Wow, if I wasn't tied down to a mortgage, I'd consider moving to Baltimore to get a job.

There might be shortages in inner cities of these states, but I think the article needs to clarify that. Obviously those states in general are not experiencing shortages, or some of us would not be unemployed.

8. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Sep 17, 2009

I'm one state away (CT) and *supposedly* we have a "teacher shortage" in the urban areas - however, when I try to apply, I am told "we are looking for candidates that represent our population"(yes, I did get that letter after an interview).

I am also beat out by jobs given to TFA (schools laid off hundreds of teachers, only to take in 200+ from TFA)

It is frustrating......

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 17, 2009

Hmmm.... hard to fill positions, eh?

Like the position I left in an inner city school where the kids were putting cleaning solution in our coffee, getting into fist fights in the classroom, stealing my money/phone/iPod, etc., the parents gave fake phone numbers and the principal was NEVER in the building?

Good rideance.

Maybe these schools should ask themselves WHY those positions are hard to fill, and why they have to bring teachers in from out of the country to teach for them. That school specifically hired teachers from out of state-the entire staff minus two were brand new to the state that year. All of us were hired over the phone. None of us were told of the conditions. So they bring in these teachers for a year. Do the teachers stay? Do they take their green card and run? Are they really achieving higher scores on a consistent level? How sad that they couldn't just take a look at why their schools aren't desirable to fabulous teachers from the area, and work on those issues. Invest the money into hiring effective administrators, working on classroom management issues and changing the attitude towards school in general in the community-THAT'S what I'd like to see.

10. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2009

Hmm, I think yes, you misread it.

Those are the job markets that attract the most applicants, not which accept the most foreign teachers. Though it's fairly likely they also accept significant numbers of foreign teachers, but simply due to the size of the states. Wyoming probably wouldn't make the list even if they were hiring a quarter of their teachers from overseas.

Nevertheless, it is a bit disturbing. Work visas of this kind are supposed to go for very high-need areas -- one of the more reliable ways to immigrate to the US is to become a nurse. However, from everything I read teachers really aren't that in demand. In that case, the available jobs should go to American citizens, as long as willing and qualified citizens can be found. I find it a bit hard to believe that in this market, they can't.

11. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

Whether one misread that article or not, these type os headlines are everywhere and they are misleading. Not only is there no teacher shortage, there is an oversaturation of them (us).
    The truth is most people with their busy lives have short attention spans; therefore, many people really believe in the great teacher shortage after glancing at the aforementioned headlines.
    What bothers me is my friends do not understand why I can't find a job because they read such headlines and believe them.
    I think they either think I am not trying hard enough or that I am doing something wrong--or both!
    I know, I know, I need to stop taking this so personally, but it's frustrating!

12. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

So the country is insourcing people to come over here for jobs.....Hmmmmm...............................:dizzy:

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 17, 2009

I have never gotten that kind letter (even though I know that's what they meant) but if a job posting says, "minority candiates encouraged to apply" then I sometimes don't bother applying.

14. Bseballchick

Bseballchick Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

Bernice-This is what frustrates me so much! My non-teaching friends and family all believe there is a shortage from articles such as this. Especially in my field-Special Ed. They keep asking me why I can't find anything, and talking about the need for teachers! Yikes, it's so maddening!

15. Ross

Ross Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

Once again the journalist fail to do in-depth research on all the facts of the story.

The same journalist that every year fall for and publish the story that the planet Mars will appear in the night sky the same size as our moon. Have you seen that story?

On this forum, teachers representing all parts of the country have posted stories about layoffs and budget cuts. Many qualified teachers are still looking for full time employment.

16. hatima

hatima Devotee

Sep 17, 2009

California? Teachers from California that were "let go" due to that states budget are applying here. It really infuriates me that the media and often time school districts misrepresents the amount of teachers out there. APS didn't hold their annual job fair and changed how schools fill classrooms. It is agitating. Once the must hire list was filled this summer I started contacting schools. One school would take resumes only in person, and I was out of INK and GAS, I NEEDED to email it. But on the principals voice mail, she had two positions and each had well over 100 applicants, many of which were out of state highly experienced teachers who had been let go due to their states budget woes.

Last year I had to explain to local friends and family that there were not as many jobs open in APS as the news claimed. The news fails to recognize that jobs remain posted once filled until HR clears the applicant