NYS Bus Strike

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PCdiva, Jan 17, 2013.

1. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2013

Is it impacting anyone?

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2013

My brothers girlfriend is a MS self contained teacher.....she had to allow her students...6th grade and special ed to ride a subway home yesterday alone.....in fact students as young as 3rd grade were given single metro cards, 2nd and under also got one for a guardian. To me, its mind boggling!

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jan 17, 2013

NYS or NYC?

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2013

NYC....its been a long day!

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2013

Her math lesson yesterday was to help the students to understand if they were going Uptown or Downtown on the subway..because though they know their street, they really had no clue which direction to go....she had to teach them if their street is higher than the one they are on they are going up, etc.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 17, 2013

I had no idea NYC kids took the public bus home. I would expect the parents to teach them how to ride the subway and know how to get home...or would I be expecting too much??? :blush:

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2013

3rd grade and above were given metro cards....at least in her case, the parents took them to the stop and would be waiting for them at the stop by their house....but still the stop is 2 blocks from the school-that's a far way for an 8 year old to walk by themself. The teacher walked the kids the 2 blocks yesterday, but can't necessarily do that everyday.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2013

Some who were school bus riders are now having to take public buses or other transportation.

10. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Jan 17, 2013

I can't believe the teachers are exspected to walk two blocks out of their way and be responsible for anything that happen to those children in two city blocks and the parents just wait at the stop. Why don't they just make the teachers drive each bused student home? :rolleyes:

I mean, these parents can't take a day off or leave work early?

This is why I don't believe in busing. If you can't walk or drive your students to school, or they can walk/drive themselves at certain ages, you shouldn't be going to that school.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2013

There's a bus strike, resentful. Some of the families have students with disabilities, other have young kids, not everyone lives within walking distance of a school. I saw a mom on the news yesterday who spent an HOUR in morning traffic taking her disabled daughter to school, then faced a drive home and then to work in the opposite direction, and then would have to repeat at the end of the day. You might not believe in busing, but it's how millions of students get to their LOCAL schools every day.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 17, 2013

Resentful, I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic.

I know MANY parents who have no flexibility in their work schedule. We have one high school and one elementary school for my district. There's no way all my kids could drive themselves or walk to our school given how big the area is. High schoolers can find rides sometimes with each other but not our junior high and elementary kids. Plus, here kids with new licenses are only allowed to have one passenger by law.

13. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Jan 17, 2013

I didn't think of disabled students. I can't imagine having healthy able body children and dropping them off EVERYDAY at a place that you can't access yourself. That really confuses me. So, if your child had an accident and got sent to the local hospital, which would be closer to the school than your house, how would you get there?! I think as a country, I can't say for non US countries, we really depend too much on state/government run systems and then wonder why we are in so much debt.

14. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Jan 17, 2013

As teachers, I don't see how, or why, it would be our responsbility to take them home and/to a bus stop. I can't believe parents would think this. :unsure: A parent can't help their children, but the teacher has to help MANY students who take a bus? On top of that, you have to be responsible for whatever happens to them in a two block radius. :eek: I'm sorry, it's not our job to do that. As a parent, you have to do it.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 18, 2013

I don't think teachers should be walking students anywhere off school property. Would they be liable if something happened to them on the way to the subway or ON the subway?

16. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2013

It was the teachers decision, no one told her to walk the kid, and as first year teachers...it was something she thought about, so a speech teacher also walked with her.

I don't know if anyone would be liable if something happened ON the subway, but it wouldn't be the teacher, it would be the NYC dept of ed who decided all students 3rd grade and up could take the Subway....in my opinion

17. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2013

THe last time NYC had a bus strike, it lasted 13 1/2 weeks.....would your boss let you be late or leave early for 13 1/2 weeks? It's not like its a freak once in a while thing.

18. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Jan 18, 2013

No, but if I had children I would have someone pick them up. Be it family, friend, or paid child service. I wouldn't exspect the teacher to be taking them anyway off of school grounds, sans field trips, but I guess as a teacher I have a different view.

I just don't understand the whole "the parents can't pick up their kids" mentality. Then, who's responsible. We always hear of "bad" teachers, there was a post about NBC saying that not too long ago, but when a parent can't meet basic needs there's always an excuse. I'm sick of it. We as a society even praise these type of people. Look at all these teen mom and Honey Booboo type of shows.

19. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jan 18, 2013

What's wrong with Honey Boo Boo?

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2013

I doubt anyone expects teachers to be walking kids to the bus. My impression is that educators are doing this on their own. Even if it's what schools are asking, I'd suspect it's what most teachers would do...we're here for the kids, right?

And while you can't imagine why parents can't pick up their kids, it is the reality in these times of dual income families combining paychecks to just pay their bills. As educators we should be empathetic towards our students'' home situations.:2cents:

21. bubbles

bubbles Rookie

Jan 19, 2013

I semi-get what you're talking about here Resentful, but I think you're forgetting something very important. These parents DID have someone to get their kids home - the bus driver! Although I'm not a parent, I have never heard of a bus strike until now, so its pretty safe to say (at least around here) that I could assume that my child will safely go from the school to the bus to home every day.

When that is all of the sudden thrown into a tailspin by a strike or some other action, it may take a little while until the parents can find other means of safe transportation.

What I do think is crazy though is the teacher who had to teach her kids whether to go uptown or downtown and which subways to get on/off at. I think that could be considered neglect by the parents in not teaching and/or writing down directions of getting home. Once these parents realized they couldn't take off work, or have a friend get them home, it is their responsiblity to teach their own child exactly what to do, where to go, and if it were me - roleplay until I was confident that my child would make it from school, to subway, to home safely and in one piece.

BTW - I do think the NYC people are crazy to begin this at 3rd grade, they're so young and naive! To me there a huge difference in maturity between 3rd - 5th grades.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2013

I'm a teacher. My hours are pretty strict. I wouldn't be able to go on late or leave early on any sort of regular basis, certainly not every day for weeks or until this strike ends. I imagine that there are may others with similarly time-strict jobs.

Not everyone has a car, and not everyone lives close to school. Some of my students live 30+ miles away. When I was a student, we were considered "rural" because we lived in a housing development several miles outside of the city limits. I wouldn't have been able to walk to school for several reasons: 1. No sidewalks out there in the country or on the arterial roads into the city; 2. It was probably 6 or 7 miles, which is too far to expect a kid, even a teenager, to walk to school; 3. The weather where I lived was very, very cold in the winter (October - April). It would have been unsafe and I probably would have died in the first mile of the walk, not exaggerating.

Your comments are sort of ridiculous.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2013

:thumb:

MOST students in NYC walk or take public transportation to school. However, more than 50,000 students are special needs who rely on school buses to get to their schools.
    Families ( and school employees) are doing what they can to get their kids to school and back home again.