NYC Sub Teachers

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mathman, Oct 31, 2007.

1. mathman

mathman Rookie

Oct 31, 2007

Dear subs/teachers:

I called subcentral and requested for 12 Districts which they gladly added to my profile "Location" category.
    However, I am not getting calls at night. Instead, I get calls about 20 minutes before class begins and often at locations that too far for me to reach on time. I checked my online profile and there is nothing wrong. I also went to subcentral on Monday and the man I spoke to said there is NOTHING wrong with my subcentral profile and DOE records. So, why am I not getting calls between 5pm and 10pm? Does anyone know the real reason? Last year, I only had 5 Districts and could not stop subcentral from calling. Any advice? Suggestions?

Thanks

3. obro

obro Rookie

Oct 31, 2007

I have no advice or suggestions--only sympathy. Last year I subbed in NYC and never did figure out Subcentral. For months I received no calls. Then suddenly I began to receive multiple calls every evening and morning. When i was being ignored I called them directly and was told my account was fine but nothing changed for awhile. I guess what i am saying is good luck

4. Shylac

Shylac Rookie

Nov 3, 2007

Hey, I also sub in NYC. I was linked to all the boroughs and I was getting called nonstop. I removed myself to all but one of which is where I live. I wouldn't worry because I am not receiving many calls from 5-10 only about 1 or 2 a week. For some reason it slowed down a lot. I really haven't been getting any calls in the morning either, only at the schools of which I am on their preferred list. Hope this helps!

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 3, 2007

I am not a sub but a teacher. I know that a lot of the subs in our building are scheduled in advance or the night before. But LOTS are scheduled that morning - teacher wakes up sick, kids wake up sick ect.... that's probably why you are called in the morning right before school starts.

6. computerman1002

computerman1002 Rookie

Nov 26, 2007

I wanted to know how do you know there is nothing wrong with your substitute teaching file? I know that after you subistute at a school, that school can leave positive or negative notations on the Sub Central database. How can you find out what is written about you in that database?

I too have not been called very often since Sept 2007. As a matter of fact, I have only subsitute taught 3 times since school started. In each case, I was told I did a great job and they could tell I have extensive teaching experience (I taught full time from 1970-1980). In each case, I was told I would be called "often". I have also gone to several schools in my area. There too, I was told I would definitely called (except in one school where they said they would look up where I taught and subed at).

I also noticed that I can get a call and at the same time I could be online at sub Central doing a search for sub positions in the districts I have chosen to teach in. Nothing would show up on my screen, but yet I was on the phone with sub central with a substitute teaching position for that day. This isn't the first time this has happened. I have called subcentral and in each case, sub central says there is nothing wrong with their sub central database.

The only thing I can think of is that someone may have put a negative comment or notation in my file on Sub Central. I wanted to know is there any way you can see your file. I know full time teachers can see their teaching file anytime they request to, and each time they get an evaluation, they must sign before it is put into their personnel file. What is the procedure to look at your file on Sub central?

If this continues (lack of sub positions), I may change my goals and not go back for another masters and go back to teaching full time. I can't subsist on only being called to substitute teach once a month. My sister is also a teacher and she tells me that she sees the same subs in her school every day (even on days that no teachers are out). I get the feeling that even though Mayor Bloomberg took over the Dept of Education, politcs and who you know is still going on, maybe even more so now!

I have called the UFT and they are no help at all. The UFT takes out union dues out of subsitute checks whether we want to be part of the union or not, yet the UFT does nothing for Subsitute teachers at ALL!

7. NewLee

NewLee New Member

Dec 6, 2007

Sorry, this has nothing to do with the question posted. I am interested in becoming a teacher and wondering if everyone starts off as a sub?

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2007

Lee, not everyone does. But if you're not lucky enough to get hired right out of school, most people sub in districts to get their foot in the door in hopes to get a full time teaching position later.