NYC Regents tutoring

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by roll, Aug 23, 2011.

1. roll

roll Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

I plan to relocate to NYC and accept a p/t job. My first thought was to look for another p/t job but I've been told the way to make real money is by tutoring, I can charge $40-100 for tutoring for Regents.

Anyone here from NY and know more about this - I'm not from NY and have never even seen the regents? I am PA certified in special ed, and took the Praxis tests so am also certified in math 7-9 and English 7-12. I don't know if I want to teach higher math, as I heard NY has their own weird brand of math but if I had the material I'm sure I could teach anything else. I have only taught preschool and elem, never middle or high school but would feel comfortable working one-on-one or two. My question is - how do I get started working with older students if I never have done so? And what should I do to prepare for Regents tutoring?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2011

Here's a great Regents Prep site:
    http://regentsprep.org/
    (You want Algebra/Geometry/ Algebra II & Trig, not Math A/B.)

And here's the NY State library:
    http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/regentsexams.htm

Regents are given mostly at the end of the school year. (A LOT of the January Exams have been cut.) They serve as a final exam in most schools.

Tutoring Regents is really no different from regular tutoring; kids who know their stuff generally tend to do well. So what I think you want to to is make a reputation as a tutor; the Regents stuff will come along starting in about March.

Get comfortable with the material this year, and next year go for a math teaching job. Of all your certificiations, it's the one most likely to land you a job.

4. roll

roll Rookie

Aug 24, 2011

I'm certified to teach math in PA, not NY. I can't get certified in NY without a degree in math which I don't have - I'm only eligible for their students with disabilities cert because that was my major. So I can teach math in private schools - but not public schools.

Thanks for the resources, I'm going to go through them. I have experience tutoring elementary but never high school. I'm guessing if I start out cheap enough I won't have issues getting students - tutoring is expensive in New York!

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2011

I'm also in NYC wondering where to get tutoring clients. I get a lot of people asking me to provide government mandated services which pay about $40 an hour but also entails a hunk of paperwork. I do already have several cases of that but I'd really like to go private a few hours a week to raise my income. I was Regents-schooled myself but haven't kept up to date on the changing maths curriculum. I consider myself highly capable of preparing students for the English exam and can easily brush up on biology and Earth science well enough to do a good job on those too. I'm good with math tutoring in general so I suppose that can be adapted to whatever they've done to the Regents. All I'm missing is a good client base...

I hung fliers all over my neighborhood and have a pretty good word-of-mouth reputation among parents in the school where I work, but all that got me were the government funded cases. And it's not a poor neighborhood, though it is mixed and my school in particular has more of the middle-to-low income clientele.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

I've had a lot of success contacting the head of guidance at local high schools. I let them know my area of certification and years of experience. I include a few business cards, and ask them to recommend me.

They do.

7. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2011

Good idea, I'll have to try that.

Where do you tutor? In your home or some other location?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

I don't tutor Regents, but I do tutor in the NYC metro area. Families who are spending the kind of money that tutors charge around here want experienced, certified teachers. Brushing up on the Regents at the sites Alice suggested may give you some insight to the test, but you will be competing for tutoring jobs with certified teachers who have direct experience with the test. You might want to consider more generalized math tutoring for HS students rather than trying to specialize in this particular test prep.
    Also, NY doesn't necessarily have its own 'weird brand of math'. In fact, NY Has adopted the common core standards.
    Good luck to you!

9. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2011

I think I'm about as qualified as the high-charging Regents tutors, just not as experienced just yet - but it's still hard to find cients.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

Market yourself...business cards, guidance depts...once you have one or two clients, word of mouth builds your business.:thumb: