NYC PRINCIPALS

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bound2move, Jul 10, 2009.

1. bound2move

bound2move Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

I have had 3 phone interviews thus far. I am suppose to hear back from the last one by today. The other 2??? It's been awhile. I have sent email follow ups and nothing.... Are they just rude up there or what???? I wish they would at least acknowledge they received my emails. Tell me yes or no if I am still a candidate. It's professional courtesy!:mad:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

I'm from "up there." I'll skip the rest of what I was planning to write out of fear of appearing rude.

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

I'm chosing to believe that principals are not rude...they are just busy. That is what I keep telling myself. I rarely hear back from principals whether it be after interviews (both phone and in person) or just sending my resumes. They have a lot on their plate and while this may seem like our entire world, it isn't their's. Now, I cannot say that I'm not sitting here fuming at a P who has not contacted me after he said he would on Mon and has not responded to my email.

Let me also say, usually a phone interview is a screener. Most P's want to see their candidates face to face...It is hard to look for a job out of state---trust me I just moved from FL to TN. I'm hoping P's will give me a chance now. If you haven't heard back then most likely they've moved on and so should you. I know that may sound harsh but that is the reality at this point. There may be something better out there. Good luck and keep your chin up!

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 10, 2009

bound,
    I know sometimes interviewers say they will get back to you either way -- I think sometimes interviewers underestimate the task that turns out to be. It is much easier to inform one applicant they got the job, then 8 or 10 that they didn't. Each one of them is hoping the call is to offer them the job. Some are so sure you are calling to offer the job that they get all excited when you call, only to be completely devasted to hear they didn't get the job. Do you know that often when you do contact someone, they cry or get very emotional? I had one lady begin sobbing "BUt I'm going to lose my house if I don't get this job.. I can't feed my kids...Why didn't you pick me? I can do the job.. really!" and go on and on?

Did you know that some shout and get abusive? Some try to talk you out of your decision. Some threaten you. Some threaten to file a lawsuit for some perceived inequity or illegality that doesnt exist. Some become downright abusive. I know you would never do that, but it happens more often than you think. Most of the time, even if they accept the news gracefully, they want to know the reason "why?" This leads to a much longer (and legally dangerous) discussion. The pat answer is always "We selected someone with more experience." or "We selected a candidate who best fitted our currrent needs." Most interviewers will not put themselves in this position again once something like this happens, and it only takes once. They then rely on sending letters, or letting silence answer the question.

There is also another reason -- Some districts (like mine) have policies that they are not allowed to tell any of the candidates they were not selected until the selected candidate formally signs the contract and is approved by the school board. That can take days or it can take weeks, depending on reference checks, and when the next school board meeting is scheduled. Until then, the principal is not able to tell anyone their status in terms of the postion. (They aren't even allowed to tell the applicant that they can't tell them anything right now.) It can be very frustrating, but it is this way in my places -- especially large school districts. A lot of times, the principal's hands are tied by policies such as these.

I realize you would like to hear, but there are two sides to every story. I've been on interviewing committees where the process has taken forever. Candidates will email saying "Has a selection been made yet?" I can't say that we have made one, that we are waiting for that persons references, or that we are waiting for the next school board meeting. So what can I say? There is no positive way to respond. So silence is what our human resource dept recommends. I tried responding to such an email once with a very neutral "I'll let you know as soon as a decision is finalized." The next day, I had a reply saying "When do you anticipate that will be?" Again, I couldn't answer that. So I learned to follow the advice to not respond. It is frustrating -- especially when you know the applicants personally.

Many larger districts also have a "we only notified selected candidates" policy, which means the princpal is instructed not to contact applicants to say they didn't get a job. If the principal is contacted by the applicant, he is supposed to forward that information to human resources and they are supposed to respond. Often, they do not, because they do no feel obligated to -- since their policy is that they only notify selected candidates.

As frustrating as it is, it is fairly common and has been for quite a while --since the 1980's actually -- which is when many companies and districts adopted these policies.

I hope the next phone call you get is the one saying you've been selected! :)

6. bound2move

bound2move Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

Sorry Aliceacc~~~ I just meant the principals!!!!:hugs: A little frustrated is all....

7. bound2move

bound2move Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

Thanks Rainstorm! That was VERY enlightening!!! :thumb:

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

My apologies as well. I just took my 1st spongebath after Wednesday's surgery and for some reason I'm in tears. I'm hiding out in the basement so I won't worry the kids.

There's nothing wrong, just nerves or something. But I do apologize for the reply.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

bound~it's not just NYC principals. It's everywhere. Rain gave great advice and great insight into the process.

10. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Jul 10, 2009

When did you interview with them? You are aware of the NYC BOE hiring freeze right? Which confuses me bc I cant see why they would even interview you with the freeze goign on.

11. bound2move

bound2move Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

I am aware. But the exceptions are charter schools that opened 2007 and 2008 and those opening in 2009. Up to 40% of their staff can be out of state or new hires. So those are the ones I applied to and interviewed with.

12. bound2move

bound2move Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

No problem Aliceacc! I hope you feel better! :) :hugs:

13. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Jul 11, 2009

Ah a charter school. I didn't realize that. Charter schools sometimes take longer in the process. There's nothing wrong with sending the principal a follow up email asking about the timeline of the hiring process.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

In addition to Rain's excellent points , let me recount a conversation I have every year at final exam time:

-"Mrs A, how did I do on my Final?"

- Joe, you didn't get one of the 4 100's. Beyond that, I'm not saying.

- Well, did I pass?

- I'm not saying.

- Did I fail?

- I'm not saying.

-WHY NOT???

- Let's pretend Susie got a 98-- and I told her. She runs and tells all her friends and they all come over and ask me what they got. Eventually I'll have to tell some kid that he got a 12%. At that point, he either cries or curses me out. Why would I set both of us up for that scene??? (And, for the record, if it's during the rest of the Final exams, I'm also setting that same kid up for failure on that day's test.)

The moral to the story is this: sometimes it's hard being the bearer of bad news. As a result, people sometimes choose not to do it.

15. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 11, 2009

If I don't hear after a while- I call the office to ask if a decision has been made. If they say "yes", i have my answer. If they say "not yet", I ask if there is any other information they need from me (usually it's "no - we're fine")....it's my way of saying I'm still interested without making a PIA of myself.

16. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 11, 2009

That's not being a "PIA" by any means. I thiknk sometimes it takes a long time to get things approved, and by then the principal figures "well, they all know they didn't get it" so they don't bother to send out the "thanks but no thanks letters."

On a brighter note, McKenna, I totally remember when a candidate who wasn't selected dropped by unexpectedly "to check on thigns" weeks after the interview. The truth is we had offered the position to someone else. Her references fell through. We then called our second choice, but she had already been hired by another school. We were all sitting together trying to figure out if we were going to call our third choice, or start over -- and the beginning of the school year was getting close. In walks this candidate to see if a decision had been made (some people would think this was being a PIA -- we didn't.) We all looked at each other and then looked at her. We totally remembered her, and there were so many positive things from her interview. The principal asked her to wait in the reception area for a few minutes, we all gabbed -- the result, he called her in and made the offer. She was qualified, we had positive recall of her interview (she was memoriable!) and to top it all off -- we needed somebody and she was it!

Now, we can't imagine she wasn't our "first choice." Sometimes follow-through gets you a job.