NYC Pre-K Teachers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ST13, Aug 17, 2015.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 17, 2015

Hi!

I am interested in looking into teaching Pre-K in the NYC system.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the salary/benefits portions of it.

If a NYC pre-K center is part of the NYC DOE, do you still get the same salary you would get as a regular teacher? Do you still get health benefits?

How do you know if a pre-K center is considered part of the DOE or if it is privately owned?

The reason I am asking is because I know on Long Island if an elementary school has a pre-K program as part of the school, it is associated with the district. However, the majority of Pre-K centers on Long Island are privately owned and have much lower salaries compared to a public school job and many do not offer benefits.

3. Merevaik

Merevaik Rookie

Aug 17, 2015

It's taught. They say that only 2 certified teacher out of 10 have a chance to work for DOE UPK. Then you can have all the benefits.

Other are stuck with CB centers. Expect lower salary, no benefits, and in most cases longer work hours - you have to work till they close ( 5/ 5:30 pm ), because there is no way they will hire another teacher to work after your 6 UPK hours.

I've been there :)

4. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 17, 2015

Ughhh that is pretty similar to the center I currently work at ... I was hoping for better conditions but I guess it's almost as impossible as finding a district job on LI!

5. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 17, 2015

Working in a Pre-K classroom with the DOE is the same salary as all the other teachers. Working outside a public school means a lower salary with no benefits. Also, Pre-K is now competitive being that it is hard to get a teaching job in general and being that Pre-K teachers are needed, everyone is going for those jobs.

I'd definitely expand the options on what grades you want to teach. Maybe consider going for an Early Childhood degree and license? You can teach Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade.

6. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 17, 2015

I'm certified birth - 6th grade but I have a lot of experience in Pre-k so I was seeing if maybe it'd be a little easier to find a job since upk in NYC is so popular right now.

When I go to the new teacher finder for the NYC DOEi see all these prek jobs but I was curious to know if all of them are getting the same salary as NYC teachers

7. Merevaik

Merevaik Rookie

Aug 17, 2015

Of course not. Many of then will offer the same salary as DOE though. :D

But that's a joke, because for the same amount of money they ask to work 12 months 8 - 5:30 and no benefits. :eek:

8. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 17, 2015

I worked at a center a few years ago that had UPK before Pre-K for all. Those teachers had all the same vacations as the NYC DOE and did not have to work beyond 2:30. They had an AM and a PM class of 18 each. They did get paid better. Not sure about benefits. I'm guessing now they get the salary and benefits. There were strict guidelines they had to follow and teach from the NYCDOE. Where as the regular pre-k in the center didn't and taught however they wanted.

9. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 17, 2015

Wow that sounds awesome!!