NYC/NJ differences

Discussion in 'ESL/ELL' started by joeteach, Jun 22, 2018.

1. joeteach

joeteach Rookie

Jun 22, 2018

Hi,

I'm on track to get certified in NYC for TESOL K-12 in January. I'm considering trying to look long term in NJ and have my certification transferred. Does anyone have any advice or insight about relevant difference between TESOL in NY and NJ, or going about transferring certification? Thanks for the help.

Best,
    Joe

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2018

I am just going to guess that the certification will be reciprocal, with maybe little differences. I just what to throw out there this tidbit - if you teach in NJ, you must live in NJ. Exceptions are those who were already living out of state when this requirement went into effect, somewhere around 2012. Those individuals were exempt. Coming into the state since then has required the teacher to reside in NJ within one academic year. Will this change? No one knows, so if you want to live in NJ and teach here, let me say welcome to the Garden State.

As far as reciprocity, I always recommend going to the NJ DOE website for the most current laws, requirements, and and changes coming down the pike. Best of luck.

4. joeteach

joeteach Rookie

Jun 23, 2018

Thanks for the reply. I actually do live in NJ now and am looking forward to continuing to. Can you give me any insight about teaching in NJ as opposed to NY? Particularly in terms practical or policy aspect of working with ELLs? Or any union/benefit information? It's all a bit new to me and I'm trying to get a jump start on thinking all of this through? Thanks so much.