NYC New Teachers - Danielson Workshop

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Bunnie, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 14, 2014

Yes do that. I googled stalked my network. Lol

Hey it's $77 more in my pocket. :)

2. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 14, 2014

Barclay's in Brooklyn…I feel like it's such a ripoff with school supplies…but it's the only supply store I can find in Brooklyn! I also got some stuff from the Dollar Tree in Long Island and from Amazing Savings. I'm probably taking a break after this. And yea, Teacher's Choice sucks.

I'll see how I can send any of my notes. The workshop was pretty much more of interactive learning. But I'll try my best.

I went to the DOE office since the workshop in Brooklyn was right around the corner to get a clearer answer about payroll and salary differential (had a crappy person explain to me nothing but shenanigans). Line was huge. Forget that. Might call tomorrow and have my phone on speaker while doing some cleaning for a half hour. Or during my workout at the gym :lol:

3. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Aug 14, 2014

Was really hoping to land a job for the upk jobs in a queens school... But I didn't :unsure: I was hoping to move back to Long Island. But wanted to say good luck to everyone in their new jobs!!!

4. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Aug 15, 2014

nyteach89 You most definitely need to have your prints transfered from the state to the city. You need to file an OSFRA 103 form ASAP. I filed mine back in April or May and it only took about a week for the DOE to get my report.

5. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 15, 2014

You absolutely need your fingerprints transferred but you can start while it is still being processed (happened to a co worker our first year)

As for the website they were talking about, that is probably engageny.com . You should get some more information from your school. I was in your boat not too long ago, my advice,find someone to buddy up with, like a veteran teacher in your subject area or grade level. Most teachers are willing to help, they just don't know if you need help.

I hope you all have a great first week back but enjoy the rest of your summer!!!

6. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Aug 15, 2014

MissPapa: I called HR Connect again on Monday and was told to check out my Payroll Portal and see if the salary differential form was active. It was, so I was able to submit it. I got an email confirmation, but now have to submit my undergrad and graduate transcripts. I ordered them online with my University on Monday morning and am waiting to receive them in the mail. Once they come in, I have to mail them to Court Street with the confirmation email.

I am constantly getting conflicted answers about some important info. In this case, I was basically told that I could have done the salary differential form last month! I was so upset because I could have had everything all mailed in already too. Just wanted to let you know so you can look into it.

Speaking of spending money, I have spent approx. $500-600 on classroom supplies, decorations, etc. It is insane. I know it won't be this much every year, but my bank account is taking a hit this year for sure! I still need to buy some new clothes too and probably need a few last minute items.

Since I have not received any curriculum materials, I am lost as to where to begin planning. I guess I will just write out some stuff that I want to get done the first 2 days (mostly procedural stuff, right?) and then start to plan actual lessons after Sept 2. I go into my room the last week of August to set-up and will definitely need the whole week lol. I may have to rent a U-Haul to bring all of the stuff I have been buying.

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 15, 2014

Sunshine: so you need both undergrad and grad transcripts? That's good to know. Is mailing them the only option or can you go down to court street and hand deliver them to an office?

I guess I should order my transcripts.

8. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Aug 15, 2014

The email said "transcripts"; didn't really specify if it was only grad school. I ordered both (they are free) to be on the safe side. I would prefer to send in both than to only have one and not have the paperwork filed properly.

I was told, by HR Connect, to mail them in and the email also said that mailing them in was the preferred method. Originally, I was going to hand deliver to Court Street if I get the transcripts next week (figured it would speed the process along), but since they specified to mail it in, I guess I will just do that. I also think it has to be done through certified mail just in case in gets lost.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 15, 2014

Hmmmmm. Ok makes sense. Im just the type of person who likes to hand things in person. Unfortunately I went to 2 different schools for undergrad and grad. So hopefully they just want grad.

10. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Aug 16, 2014

I am still going to hand deliver mine. They said that you will get a receipt in your hand for the application when you do it that way. I don't trust it otherwise. They only prefer mailed in so they don't have a line.

11. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Aug 16, 2014

I would prefer to hand deliver mine as well. I didn't know about the receipt...maybe I will call HR Connect again once my transcripts are delivered.

Bunnie: You may only need grad school transcript. Try giving HR Connect a call to find out...the email is really not clear.

12. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 16, 2014

I can't even LOG IN!!!!!

I have a MacBook Pro, where I don't have internet explorer. The Payroll portal doesn't support any other browser. So I waited until I went to my fiancé's because he has windows. It's been a half hour and it freezes when I log in…on internet explorer.

I don't get it at all. Do the gods not want me to have a job?

And sending in your transcripts? Pain in the butt. My bachelor's isn't even in education!

13. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 16, 2014

I can't log in because my email was disabled. I called IT and have to wait for my P to contact them to enable my email. So essentially more waiting.

I did downgrade my internet explorer to 8 like another post on here said to. So I'm ready to go once I can access my email. Nothing's easy when it comes to this process.

14. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Aug 17, 2014

Yeah, the system is really silly. Did you downgrade to IE 8 on your fiance's computer? When I had IE 11, all it did was keep loading forever and ever. Literally my computer was sleeping all night, then I turned it back on and it was still loading. :dizzy:

15. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Aug 17, 2014

The whole thing with IE is insane. I don't know why they cannot make the Payroll Portal compatible with any browser. When I first tried to do the salary step form, I could not log in and called HR Connect. They said that you can always go to your local UFT office and use their computers (which are supposed to be compatible). I ended up using my old desktop computer to complete the forms, but at least going to the UFT offices is an option.

16. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 17, 2014

I'm probably going to the DOE tomorrow. Get that and the payroll form taken care of.

17. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Aug 17, 2014

Just call before you go. I was told, over the phone, that they do not process salary forms in person. I don't know if this is the case, as I always seem to get different info depending on who I speak to? I would hate for you to waste a trip, but good luck!

Also, by payroll form, do you mean salary differential or direct deposit?

18. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 18, 2014

WELL I COULD'VE WENT. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Haha I'm joking :lol: But anyway, they told me because you need IE 7 or 8, I can go to the following and do it there (we have 6 months, but obviously the sooner the better, no?):

- Your local public library (make sure they have computers)
    - Your local UFT office
    - HR Connect, they have computers on the side (like I said, could've went lol)
    - The school you got hired at might have

I bet you everyone is having this issue so they're used to getting these calls lol

Same with my fiancé's job. He says it's possibly because it's too much money to keep upgrading.

So yea, for all the newly hired, got you some info just incase!

By the way…do you HAVE to send in all your degrees to the DOE or can it just be your masters? The only education degree is your masters, and I went to a private school for college and it is a bitch to get one…

Oh and by payroll, I mean direct deposit. I'm just going to give them the form so when payroll opens, they will have it to process. I did that when I became a sub.

19. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 18, 2014

Good info Miss Papa!

I'm still waiting on my email to be enabled to do this stuff. Grrr.

Can you believe in one week we will all be at New Teacher Orientation?

Guess we shouldn't be posting in the "Job Seeker" board after that. Hahaha.

20. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 18, 2014

Thanks! I was just going to go to the nearest Brooklyn library, but my classmate from grad school is insisting me to go to HR Connect…decisions, decisions. I should probably call the library first to see if they have computers with IE 7 or 8. Don't want to deal with long lines!!!

If anything, I'll poke around here or there giving advice after dealing with one hell of a job search.

Btw the new teacher board is kinda dead. We should start posting there.

Are you guys going to the orientation in Brooklyn? Which day? Thankfully it's going to be only 3 hours long. Been to two 7-hour workshops this past week. The Danielson workshop was at least entertaining. Took the DASA workshop too…that one was a hot mess!

21. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 18, 2014

Yeah HR connect would be the last place I'd want to go now with it being crunch time for hiring.

I wouldn't think to post on the new teacher board, since I'm not really a new teacher, but I know all of you guys are. I guess the Elementary Board or Gen Ed one should suffice since it gets the most traffic? Too bad there's not state specific boards, I feel like there should be a NY, CA, TX, NC and MI board. Lol

I'm not going to the UFT one, not allowed since I have my professional cert, plus I have basically a full schedule next week.

Mon & Tues: Orientation at my school for new teachers
    Wednesday: The only day my co-teacher and I are available to set up our room together.
    Thursday: TC Workshop
    Friday: Finish up setting my room up solo if we don't finish Wednesday.

It's starting to feel real, this is the last week of summer vacation!

22. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 18, 2014

They really should have state boards…maybe we should just make a thread in one of the active boards.

My AP emailed us to go to the UFT teacher orientation. No orientation at the school.

Ooh at my LTS assignment, we used TC for ELA…I really liked it. It was all themed and I felt that you could design your ELA curriculum a bit more with ease. You're lucky…

I'd do the elementary boards since some of us might be special ed. Or if any of us gen ed teachers turn into special ed teachers.

Seriously, after I finish my last paper of my early childhood class, I'm onto planning my first two days of lessons. And finish buying supplies!

Yea I'm just going to the library. I'm calling first to make sure. HR said the library is the best suggestion.

23. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 18, 2014

I vote elementary board! As I think most of us here on this thread are elementary. I am totally done with school I have 2 certs. Gen ed and tech. I'm probably going to do P credits in the spring to work on my +30. I don't want another degree or have to pay $$$$ for it.

I'm SO GLAD my school is a TC school. I don't want to deal with Ready Gen, I've heard from my friends what a nightmare it is on all grade levels.

I'm going to Barclay's tomorrow morning and visiting my sister, niece and nephew (they live in BK). Hopefully tomorrow my email issue gets resolved, so I can get things moving.

24. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 19, 2014

YUP I have ReadyGen :( I think they JUST started using it for this upcoming year. I hope for the kindergarteners it won't be TOO bad. I used ReadyGen when subbing before, all the lessons are TIMED! I actually rejected an offer from a school who uses TC…the distance was too much and better to take a job where a hook-up from someone you know was involved. At least they use a math program I like (Go Math!)

I'm probably doing my 30 and above from UFT, their classes are way cheaper. My early childhood class from Touro College was so expensive!!!!! It was the only early childhood class that still had openings…there is an Autism certificate program from Brooklyn College (where I went to grad school) I want to do, but again, it is a lot of money (although one class is cheaper than my early childhood class!!! But still…) Got a wedding and moving in on my own to save up for…and loans from grad school to pay off…

Let's see…I got gen ed and special ed in grades 1-6, and hopefully soon get those two in early childhood (birth to grade 2). I'll be having 4! Sometimes you just need a class to work on additional certifications.

25. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Aug 19, 2014

Aw, I didn't receive the invite to the workshop. Boo. But I did listen to a webcast of a workshop from last year. Not sure if I'd go even if I did get the invite.

You're right. No one goes to the new teacher board. I'm new to the DOE, but not to teaching, so I never checked it out. I'm usually in Job Seekers, Preschool, Gen Ed and Elementary forums.

RE: ReadyGen. We use it. None of the teachers like it. As a Pre-K teacher, we're using a different curriculum all together. Yay.

26. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 19, 2014

See I thought about extending to early childhood, but I can't stand teaching pre-k or lower. I do like K, I taught it for a year. But my tech license is K-12 so that fixes that. I not sure I have it in me to teach special ed. Plus there are no programs that extend just special ed anymore so if I wanted to, well I can't. I thought about an ESL advanced cert, but again they want 12 credits of college level foreign language. I don't have that, I don't have any, I was exempt being that I did awesome in high school, but I can't speak any foreign language to even test out of it. So, yeah. I'm most likely going to do the UFT P credits in technology to keep abreast of emerging technology. The only other cert I'd go for is gifted and talented as Touro (where I did grad school) has a 15 credit advance certificate program. I loved Touro, hated CUNY.

I did the DASA workshop back in May with friends. I had a good instructor thankfully so it wasn't that boring. But as I said before I have trouble sitting for long periods of time. Lol

I wasn't originally fond of TC but honestly it's a decent program, as long as it's not the only literacy you do. Grammar and phonics need to be taught as well. ReadyGen ugh, that just seems like a hot mess.

Foreal3: same here I generally go in Job Seekers, Elementary and General. I may pop in on the 5th grade board. I'm going to miss this board. It's not entirely the same when you're not looking anymore. I'm more of a lurker type on forums too, but I decided to be more active this hiring season, it was definitely invaluable to do so. I can definitely send my well wishes and encouragement to those still looking. As I feel we were all in this together.

27. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Aug 19, 2014

I would love a NYC board! lol Im going to the new teacher orientation on Monday! AHH feeling so many emotions.:woot: And I start setting up next week too! For me this experience is rather surreal. I still feel like a newbie teacher, taught at daycare for a little over a year, and graduated in 2013. So I'm still learning the ropes day by day.. Perhaps I may liven the new teacher board, and come over here to talk about my experince as a first time public school teacher lol.

28. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Aug 19, 2014

Wow...so much to catch up on lol.

Let me know if you guys head into the new teacher thread...I will def try to follow!

As for the orientation, I did not get an email invite, so I guess I am not going? I don't know. I am in my school all next week to set up the classroom, which is exciting. I still have not really planned anything since I have no curriculum materials. I guess I will just plan out the first 2 days and then sort everything out as I get info. Is this what you are all doing also?

MissPapa: I am not sure which transcripts they need, but am thinking the masters degree one is sufficient, right? Thanks for the info about where to go to use the computers.
    I called HR again and was this time was told that you can go to Court Street to submit the transcripts after submitting the salary diff application online. I was going to go in this week, but am thinking it is going to be a mad house! SO maybe I will just mail it in. I didn't know we can take care of Direct Deposit in person either. Where do you get that form, online or payroll portal?

29. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 19, 2014

Sunshine24:You can't do it in the payroll portal until they open in September. If you just want to get it done and over with (which I'm doing), fill this form out and mail it in: http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/E1791194-48D0-4B30-BA2A-C343608337F1/0/directdepositform.pdf

I'm also definitely mailing my transcript there too. Definitely trying to save a trip there knowing it's going to be hell. Line full of clueless new teachers like me!!!

I'm hopefully going to the library today. I woke up late due to pulling an all-nighter finishing and submitting the last of my work for my early childhood class.

Bunnie: I loved Brooklyn College! Better than when I went to college. Ok the administration sucked, but everything else was great! People from grad school have told me Touro's education program is looked down on at the DOE…but I met a few who went there and got jobs. Yes, CUNY can be a mess. I did the DASA workshop at Brooklyn College and boy was it terrible. Thankfully I got the certificate! I also used to go to Kingsborough, and I remember how horrendous the financial aid line was…

By the way, I LOVE little kids. I like grades like 4th grade, they're cool. But I love the developmental stages of a child!!! No one remind me I gotta use ReadyGen for them…ughhh I really hope it's not too bad for the little ones...

BY THE WAY GUYS, THE DASA WORKSHOP IS MANDATED TO ALL TEACHERS! I only did it to get my additional certification in pre-k, but was told in the workshop that all teachers have to do it. So if you work in a public school, go find a place to take the workshop. I'd try the school you went to for grad school. I didn't get invited either, found out on my own...

30. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2014

We actually already have an elementary board on this site :hugs:

31. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Aug 19, 2014

MissPapa:Okay, great. Thanks for the link. My transcripts came in, so I am going to get all of the paperwork together for the salary differential and the direct deposit and mail them in (hopefully by Thursday). I called HR again (it's becoming a daily phone call lol) and was told the same thing: nothing can be done online or processed until Sept 2, but feel free to mail in or drop off before then. So, I am aiming to get this done since I am in the classroom all of next week to set up.

I never even heard of the DASA workshop lol. I will definitely look into it, so thanks for the information. I have heard nothing in terms of workshops, orientations, etc and I feel like I do not really know what to do in order to be fully prepared to be an active DOE member. I am hoping to get some answers next week as I meet other teachers in my school.

32. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 19, 2014

Ok first, we totally should create a new thread in the New Teacher section because, we are no longer even talking about danielson haha. However I'm sure we will again! I'll start a new thread and link it to this one so everyone is updated because I know people are used to checking it.

Here it is!

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?p=1898340#post1898340

33. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Aug 19, 2014

I think she meant putting the NYC teacher thread in the elementary forum.