NYC/LI teachers...advice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kmeteach, Aug 7, 2012.

1. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 7, 2012

I'm still looking to find a full-time job in either elementary or special ed in either NYC or LI, but I'm at a loss as to what else I can do at this present time. I'm in the teacher finder for NYC, and as for LI, I've sent out many emails to principals. I've mostly had no responses, a few that said "sorry, but we're not hiring," and 2 interviews that didn't work out in the end. Is there anything else I can do? I'm starting to get desperate. Anyone know of any openings? Bueller? :help:

Also, for anyone with NY certification....if I were to try for something out of state (especially NJ, PA, or CT), how difficult would it be to get certified in those states? Would they automatically accept my NY cert., or would I have to take different tests, etc?

Thanks for any help!

3. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Aug 7, 2012

NYC has lifted the freeze and is hiring in all boroughs except staten island...i know a TON of NYC teachers and im sure you do too. ask your friends in they can pass your resume directly to the principal, especially since you are in the teacher finder database. you can also email principals directly especially if you find out there is an opening in the school.

i see a lot of ads for charter schools. check the nytimes & craig's list as well.

4. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 7, 2012

I don't know any NYC teachers, to be honest! Anyone I know who does teach is either a TA or a sub for a LI district. And they're looking for new jobs themselves. :(

I've come across a lot of preschool/toddler/etc jobs on those sites, but I don't think any of those would count toward my certification. Even so, I applied for some of them....and haven't heard anything.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

Apply to every charter, private and public school within a reasonable commute distance...regardless of any or no postings. Do it today.

6. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 8, 2012

I'm in the exact same position ... My best advice would be subbing ... Right now that's my only option since I still need to work for my professional certification

As far as moving to a different state ... I was once told that it's easy but you have to take their certification tests and maybe a class or two ... I heard getting a job with a ny certification is very easy in other states because we are very high on the ladder so to speak

7. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 8, 2012

keep searching, revamp your resume and cover letters. I was in the teacher find for over a year with no calls and no sign that it even did anything, and then this past year i had numerous calls based on my teacher finder information and I was hired for this coming school year. Keep searching. Search for special needs schools as well, any learning center, or even a tutor place. Just dont give up!

8. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 8, 2012

I'm definitely applying to every possible school I can! Just heard back from a school that I emailed this morning, I have an interview next week with them. Crossing my fingers big time!

9. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 8, 2012

Congrats! Interviews lead to jobs! :) brush up on questions and practice answering them and get your portfolio ready and GO GET EM!

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2012

Good luck! Are you elementary.

11. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2012

Oh just re read element and sped. At this point in time I wouldn't worry about ts time not counting for your Prof cert. After 5 years if you font have 3 full yrs teaching it just costs $50- to extend. And you don't have to start the 175 Prof development hours until you have the Prof cert anyway do its win win

12. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 10, 2012

Thanks PC....do you know how long the extension lasts? Someone told me it was seven years and I thought there's no way it's that long!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2012

14. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 11, 2012

Alice....yep, I've emailed around 90% of those schools/principals. Will be emailing more starting tomorrow. I've mostly gotten no responses, and a few principals saying there are no jobs. But I have interviews Monday and Tuesday in two different districts, and heard about some potential good news in my old district. I am crossing my fingers like crazy for something good to happen next week!

15. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

Its only 2 years for$50. But you can extend it more than once

16. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 12, 2012

I just applied for and received my professional certifications. My advice, if possible in your situation, would be to sub as much as possible while job searching! It took me until almost the end of the 5th year to have enough teaching days with subbing, leave replacements, and per diem teaching experiences. I was soo close and didn't want to pay for the extension ($50 per certification adds up, especially when I found out I'd have to pay $100 per cert to get my professionals!). If yours will be expiring soon, be sure to apply as soon as possible, as the state is very back logged! Best of luck!

17. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

Shades.....do you have to pay $100 every 5 years?

18. LITeachTeach

LITeachTeach Rookie

Aug 12, 2012

19. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 12, 2012

PCdiva, is there a limit as to how many times you can extend it?

LITeach, would that reflect badly one me though, to get it reissued? Would schools assume I am a brand new teacher with no experience if they looked at the new date? My certification doesn't expire for another 2 years, but it's something I'm starting to think about.

I don't think I have enough subbing days because the districts I worked for hired hundreds of subs, I was lucky if I worked 3 days a week. I'm frustrated that NY doesn't count TA positions toward permanent certification. I was teaching lessons while working as a TA.

20. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

I'm not sure.....I would think with the number of teachers unemployed and the fact that nys just wants to make money there would be no limit.

This got me thinking about my dates and certs so I logged on to teach and my gen and spec ed feet's expire at the end of the month...not sure if its worth $200- to renew them.

21. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 13, 2012

Thank goodness no. $100 per certification to go from initial to professional. I believe after that you just have to keep up the 175 hours of professional development to keep them effective, there's no expiration date.

22. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2012

Ok....another question u may know.....if you have multiple feet's...I have 6...do you have to maintain those hours fir each? I have more than 3 years gen ed but never had the year of mentoring til I got my library job...and only have a year and a half of library...can I apply for professionals for each of them?

23. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 13, 2012

NYC

I would immediately go onto the NYC DOE website and email EVERY principal in whatever burrough you want. If you are from LI, I would suggest Queens. Open Market just ended and principals are just finding out now that they need more teachers.

EMAIL AND FAX EVERY SINGLE PRINCIPAL!!!

I did this 3 years ago and had about 25 interviews and the market was not much better then