NYC in one day

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Aug 11, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 11, 2009

Hi everyone...

I'll be in NYC Friday night- Monday morning...(wedding sunday on long island)

Saturday will be my only day to spend the whole time in NYC. We are staying in a hotel on park ave (loews hotel). I doubt we'll get to see the Statue of Liberty...Empire State building...stuff like that.
    I wanted to see a Broadway show...but it looks like we won't have time :(

If you have been...what are some places that I should try and go visit/eat?

Thank for any tips :)

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2009

I guess it's too late to buy tickets to a show on Broadway. I saw the Lion King there & the US Open pro tennis tournament.

Definitely go to Central Park, shop, & try to go to a museum if that's your thing. If you like Chinese food, try Mr. Chow's. I went on one of those double decker bus tours too, which was nice. And those boat cruise tours around the Brooklyn Bridge & Staue of Liberty.

I really want to go again. Have fun!

4. Ms. Kimba

Ms. Kimba Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

For my money (and patience) I totally prefer The Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center). It has the best view of the city including a direct view of The Empire State Building. Whether you go up during the day or at night its a beautiful view and a cool building. Waaaay shorter line than Empire State building too.

Other than that, Central Park is always nice, and my favorite museum is the Metropolitan Museum of Art (which happens to be right by the park). And since you're a science teacher, I'm sure you'd enjoy the Museum of Natural History, too.

If you're more into just wandering, cafes, and people watching, Washington Square Park and the Village is always nice. Hope this helps a bit! Enjoy your visit!

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

If you look on their tourism website, there are amazing one day (2 hours or so) tours on a bus that take you to the landmarks and to famous neighborhoods. You buy the ticket and you get access to all the sites and the ride is included. I think it's best to do it that way if you don't have a lot of time and if you want the benefit of a guided tour so you get to see it all! Have fun!

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 11, 2009

thanks everyone!

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

You'll be at 61st, so Rockefeller and Times Square are a pretty close walk downtown, and the Museum of Natural History isn't too far in the other direction. And Central Park's about a block away (and I think you're right by the Central Park zoo and children's zoo (not sure if you have children, but if so it's fun)). If you want to go to Chinatown or Little Italy you'd have to take a subway.

The Tickets booth in Times Square often sells excess B'way tickets for shows that day, from what I understand selection might be limited. They've also blocked out a lot of the streets right around Times Square (that area specifically) for pedestrian traffic and put out seats (that's a new thing Bloomberg did this summer, it's not bad).

The Empire State Building on 34th isn't really that long of a trip, you can do it in an hour and a half easy and quicker if you really want to. There are some pretty nice Korean barbecue restaurants in that area (33rd and 34th, east of the ESB) also which are open 24 hours. I suspect Ms. Kimba's right about the Top of the Rock being a better deal, though.

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 11, 2009

thank you :)

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

I'd count out Broadway - shows only at 2pm, so that *really* cuts your day up.

I'm more of a downtown person... I like South Street Seaport to wander in, Chinatown, Soho (ooh, the shopping!)... but if I close my eyes and think "What would I do with one day in NYC?" - I'd spend it sitting at a cafe in the Village, drinking coffee, and just wandering around. I'm not too big into the tourist traps.