NYC advice from people who live there.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sarge, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2011

My wife and I are going to New York city this summer for about a week and a half. So far, all we have planned is a U2 concert at the Meadowlands, SHOPPING, theatre, and a growing list of restaurants my wife wants to go to that she's seen on Food Network. Last summer we ate at Le Bernardin.

We'll probably stay either in Midtown near Grand Central or near Penn Station. This is based on a favorite hotel that we really like.

Here's the kind of stuff we don't do: Statue of Liberty, monuments, Empire State Building (Top of the Rock I think has a better view).

Here's what we're looking for: Jazz, cool music stores, gnocchi, Irish pubs, art galleries, and really good parts of the city to just hang out in.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2011

What about museums?

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 2, 2011

Well, it doesn't meet any of your categories, but I think Sylvia's may be the best meal I've ever had. It was the best soul food I've had, and I'm from the south!

I'll ask my siblings. They would know for sure.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2011

I know of friends who have done food tours throughout NYC. You can google food tours and see what comes up. One year they did an Ethopian/African food tour and another year they did something else. With so many restaurants there, you really can't go wrong with that.

What about MOMA, the natural history museum? You could also take the train out to Long Island for a day and go to the beach in Long Beach. It's about a 30-40 minute train ride one way.

There's a boat ride that you can take around manhattan island that I did once. Fabulous. it's nice to get to see it all from the river. Took about 2 hours and it was gorgeous.

My sister lives in NYC and we go fairly often.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2011

I seem to recall some fabulous Irish Pubs in Bayside and Far Rockaway. (both in Queens.) There was a time when my car could get to Bayside via autopilot.

Also, consider spending a day on Long Island's beaches. Tracy mentioned Long Beach. Jones Beach is also a good choice-- it's huge with a nice boardwalk, evening entertainment,a golf course and a Friendlys. If you can spare the time to see Montauk, it's fabulous, though it will take some time from the limited time you have for NYC.

As far as restaurants: don't forget Little Italy and Chinatown in NYC. They're very close to each other. It's been a couple of years since I was there, so I can't be more specific.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2011

I've heard of Rockaway Beach.
    Also, I want to get a picture at 53rd and 3rd and eat Chicken Vindaloo on 2nd Avenue.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2011

Little Italy sounds cool. We have a Chinatown in SF. Be neat to compare.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2011

10. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 4, 2011

We always take a ride on one of the water taxis. Get it in front of the Winter Garden and it goes to New Jersey, but don't get off. It comes back past Ellis Island and you get a wonderful view of the city and costs a whole 6 bucks. Walk out the back of the Winter Garden to see Ground Zero.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2011

Little Italy is shrinking...a few restaurants...Chinatown is growing...go to Pearl River Mart for some fun Chinatown shopping.