NY TImes Debate..are School Librarians Expendable

Discussion in 'Library/Media Teachers' started by PCdiva, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2011

Maybe the 7th and 8th grades make the middle school rules apply?

2. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2011

Oh, duh!! Thanks for explaining that. I'm so primary!! You're right. That is probably why the Master's is necessary. Definitely because our LMS have scheduled classes to teach.

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2011

So when do you start? Summer or September? Is it 36 credits?

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2011

I start in August which is considered to be the start of the fall semester. It is 36 credits. :eek: I'm not looking forward to going for another Master's and am a little disappointed about having to take all of those credits but I'll have to suck it up. I'll have to do an internship as well with a cerified LMS. One in an elementary setting and one in a middle school setting, 3 months total.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2011

See if they can work with you on the internship- My program made exceptions only for fully working contracted teachers (as in not leave replacements/ subs, etc.) I was lucky I was teaching elementary computers at the time which I was able to count for a lot of the elementary hours. As for the middle school/ secondary hrs required by the state- I did a few hours each day before school- since HS starts much earlier than elementary and on my prep. It was intense and took 6 months to get all the hours the state requires but it was really good for me since I didn't have to quit my job/take a leave of absence.