NY State Teacher Certification Extension

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 7beckham, Aug 10, 2008.

1. 7beckham

7beckham New Member

Aug 10, 2008

Ok I was a NYC Teaching Fellow, been teaching for 5 years. On 1/31/2009 my Provisional Certificate will expire (I was certified before 2-1-2004). I need to take and pass the ATS-P (the video), but the earliest test I can take is in November (results aren´t out until end of January), plus the application process, which means it´s gonna be really tight come January. What are my options? - Can I apply for another type of certification? Is there some sort of extra fast services that the state can process the application?

All in all, can I take care of this by January 31, 2009?

Thanks for your help!

3. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I would definitely call NYS tomorrow - they will have an answer for you. Try early in the morning so that you don't get stuck on hold forever. I know I've waited on hold well over an hour at times.

I don't really know much about your requirements - I was only certified last year. But calling would be best - I mean you are hearing straight from the source!

4. Calli

Calli New Member

Aug 10, 2008

you can apply for an extension of your cert.

5. 7beckham

7beckham New Member

Aug 13, 2008

I`ve tried calling them, but was put on hold for 20 minutes until they disconnected me. These people are really hard to reach. I plan on emailing them and see how that goes.

I only need the video test to get permanently certified, the only hurdle is that I have limited time.

And to extend the certificate I need like a valid reason, documentation, which I don`t have.