NY Professional Dev. requirements

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by obro, May 14, 2008.

1. obro

obro Rookie

May 14, 2008

Hi, I am at a complete loss when it comes to this. What is required of me as a new teacher? Is it 175 hours every 5 years? What does that mean? How much does a Graduate course count towards that? What about a seminar which is 25 hours in one week?

Any clarification would be very appreciated--I can't seem to get an answer from anyone in the district and with my first Summer coming up I want to know how much coursework I should be looking to do.

Thanks so much

3. b2teach

b2teach Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

I am with you too; I am starting grad school this summer too and I have no clue how many professional development days I need. I guess just take the ones that your program requires and any extra workshops.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

After you have your professional certification you need 175 hours every five years to renew your certification.

If you have your initial certification then you need to get your master's degree within five years to receive your professional certification and you don't need to keep track of professional development at that time.

If you have your professional certification and are doing graduate coursework you get 15 hours of professional development credit for every semester hour credit you receive.

Here's a lot of information about the requirement: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/faqpd.htm

5. b2teach

b2teach Rookie

Jun 10, 2008

Thanks Jessica 26. This will really help.