NY/NJ transit HELP

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teachling, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 23, 2012

We are trying to book a hotel to stay at while we visit NY. One option would be to stay in Newark or Jersey City & commute to NY. A long time ago I stayed in a modest hotel in Jersey & just commuted to NY. The ride was about 6 minutes & the train station was close to the hotel. IN communicating with a family member who lives in NJ, she said that staying in Jersey City is NOT good because of the high crime.

I am trying to find something that would be convenient for accessibility to the city but not ridiculous in $$$. I found a midtown hotel for $109 & it's 2 1/2 stars. The problem is I won't know which hotel it is till I book it (it's through Hotwire). Im looking for options/alternatives of places to stay. I've even searched VRBO (I've used them in the past) but most places are not available for the dates I plan on going.

I really would appreciate input from those who are from the area or have experience in traveling to NY. Thanks!

3. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 23, 2012

I think I should make the topic about sources you've use to book travel. I've changed computers & lost some of the bookmarks I had for message boards, travel tips & links to booking fares. If you have any you recommend, I would appreciate that too.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 23, 2012

NYC is accessible by both Jersey City and Newark via the Path Train which is the least expensive way into the City, unless you plan to swim :). From the World Trade Center you can take the Subway to Penn Station (NYC).

There are nice areas of Jersey City but they are more towards the Water Front and I'm not familiar with that area of Jersey City.

Both Jersey City and Newark are like any states Urban Cities. I would not say I've ever felt threatened in either area but I'm a man and I know it's different for Men and Women.

I know there are no hotels that I would want to stay at in Newark near Newark Penn Station (this ones in NJ) so unless you are planning to stay at an Airport hotel (which is a train or bus ride from Penn Station), I would look into Jersey City. I don't have experience staying in hotels in either city though. I live near both cities though, and have traveled through them extensively.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2012

Would Hoboken work?? I don't know any of the hotels or the route you would take, but it's a charming little city just across the river from Manhattan.

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 23, 2012

This was my first thought too! I LOVE Hoboken!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2012

Try the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken...just a bit north of Hoboken, views of the river and city.

http://www.hotels.com/ho127113/sheraton-lincoln-harbor-hotel-weehawken-united-states/

It's got a 3.8 rating out of 5 and the comments seem good.

Hoboken is a fun town...definitely go check out the many and varied bars and restaurants there if you have time, but the hotels can be very pricey...although I do adore the Hoboken W!

8. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 23, 2012

We just went about 3 weeks ago. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park New Jersey. We commuted on the bus which was around 20 mins when you factor in traffic. The hotel was very nice. I've never stayed in such a nice place and it's in the price range you mentioned above. If you decide to stay there let me know and I'll give you the info you need to know for catching the bus back to the hotel from the city. The hotel will provide you with.rint out of bus times too.

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 23, 2012

Might have to try this next time. We just stayed a few nights in Manhattan and the hotel was very disappointing for the price we paid.

We did get to see two great shows on Broadway, however!

10. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 23, 2012

I would be interested in this, please send me the info on the bus route to the city. Thank you!

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 23, 2012

12. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 24, 2012

If you are going to take NJ Transit trains, if you will be commuting frequently during your trip, get a 10 trip pass (so 5 round trips), they are usually cheaper.

13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 24, 2012

Hey everyone thanks for the feedback. After considering location, commuting & price, we decided to go with a hotel in the financial district. This area offers lots of activities & attractions we are wanting to do. There's also easy access to the subway line to travel uptown. We were able to get a 3 1/2 star hotel for $140.

Now the next step is to plan out what we will be doing when we are there particularly in the midtown/uptown area. Any suggestions are welcome!

14. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 24, 2012

Glad you were able to find something. Sorry I didn't get the info back to you but looks like you don't need it after all. have a blast! I will suggest buying tickets for the double decker bus. DH and I bought the 48 tickets for $45 each. It was well worth the money. It includes an uptown, downtown, Brooklyn, night, and bus tour. The bus is hop on hop off and we learned sooo much! We said when we go back we will do the bus again! It's a great way to see everything and you hop off in any of the districts you want walk around in. The night tour was beautiful and the boat your was especially fun bc we got to ride up o the Statue of Liberty. I can not stress how much I recommend this as a must do!!!!!

15. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 5, 2012

How would I find this? This would be perfect activity to do with dh. I'm so doing it. In watching one of my home shows on tv, I saw scenery from Long Island & made me curious about adding it to my travel tour. I can't recall going there & would like to explore it. Any recommendations for places to visit there? What else would be a good idea to do?