NY Jobseekers out there?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by StarrShine2, Aug 13, 2010.

1. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

I know there's a bunch of us from NY who are jobless. Just wanted to see how you all were coping with the situation.

I'm on Long Island...feeling very sad about not having a job. I get interviews, do well, move forward in the process...but then nothing. I honestly don't think it's personal...especially when I see/hear that that one position starts with hundreds of applicants and at each stage of the interview process has like 20 people. Even though it's not personal and it's just the way it is, it's still hard.

After doing a bunch of leave replacements, I think it'll be hard to go back to subbing...

3. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 13, 2010

Im from LI also. I had some great interviews on LI, and met with superintendents, and was offered TA jobs. I felt that every district had someone in mind already.

I was eventually offered a job in the city. It is close to home, but it was not my "dream job". I think you need to look outside the box and be open to new locations. I am thrilled about my new job and so excited for sept.

4. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 13, 2010

How, if I may ask, did you get hired in the city with current restrictions. I have a Special Ed cert and was told that they couldn't even hire new SPED teachers in the city under any circumstances because there were so many waiting in the excess pool.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2010

I live in CNY and have been looking in all of Upstate NY (except for the big cities). This is going to be my last year looking for a teaching job for awhile, regardless of whether I get a teaching job or not (although I hope to get one!). The constant rejection and unknown is getting to be too much. If I don't get a teaching job I'm looking to go full-time at the grocery store I work at (even if it means relocating to a new market). I want to move out of my parents' house and become independent again.

This hiring season I have had seven interviews throughout Upstate NY with another next week for a variety of jobs (I'm certified in Childhood Ed. 1-6, Literacy B-6, Early Childhood Ed. B-2 and Math 7-12). I hoping that what everyone has told me about hiring being late this year is true and I get something in this last month.

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2010

I'm here too! 10 LI interviews this season, 4 2nd rounds and a demo and NOTHING! So frustrating- I love subbing but feel like a failure when people say what do you teach....Oh you're just a sub. booo!

Hoping for the best...3 more weeks til school starts!

7. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

How do you guys get interviews on the island? I've been teaching in the city for 3 years and haven't gotten any interviews through OLAS! I'm general ed Elem, maybe that's why? I'm satisfied where I am in the city, since it's almost the closest thing to teaching in the suburbs...but of course I would love to get a job on LI.

I have a few good connections to some districts, but the connections said the districts were laying off.

I would love to get in the district I graduated from...but the connection I have there said they won't have multiple openings until a good amount of elementary teachers retire, which won't happen for another 10 years or so she said. She told me the openings on LI tend to happen in waves.

8. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

I'm not having any luck getting any interviews either. I currently have a job which I enjoy but not making any money, and need to get back into public school or private school teaching.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 13, 2010

That's exactly my problem. Even though I do have a job, it's in a private school and I don't make as much money as I would in public schools. I really want to get into a nearby district. I am getting desperate and just applying everywhere, even in Westchester which is an hour away. My husband just paid for my 2 summer classes so I could get an additional certification. I'm hoping it helps.

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2010

I sent a resume/cover letter/brochure to all the districts within 20 minutes...I also stalk OLAS daily and visit every district website every few weeks, NY times.com every Sunday and Monday and I get a lot of emails from friends, college list serve, etc. when they hear of an openings.

This year I only applied to about 34 districts, interviewed at 10 and turned down 2 interviews (1 bc I knew the girl they had already pre determined they were hiring and didnt want to take a day off for nothing and the 2nd bc I had another interview at the same time and they were 1hr away and neither district would give me a different time slot)

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 14, 2010

I don't know how it is in your areas, but OLAS does not list a LOT of the school districts around here. There are only a handful on there. I have to go to the local BOCES website for most of the districts. Even then, I found the list of districts that used the site and noticed some other districts weren't on there either. Also, there is the private school directory you might want to check. I just saw an ad in the newspaper for another school so I applied online. It was not listed on OLAS so I'm not sure if it's private or not. Check the NY Times Weekend in the Review too. The schools in there are all too far for me but it might help some of you.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2010

I counted one day (had freelance work I wasn't in the mood to do :) ) Approximately half of Long Island's 125 public school districts are on OLAS.

The rest are easy to find using Google-- there are several lists-- but you have to be smart enough to realize it's necessary.

I would assume the same is probably true in other regions.

13. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

My very first leave replacement position came off of OLAS. That was a couple years ago and the market was bad but not as bad as it is now. I have no idea how I got that job off of OLAS but I did.

My second leave replacement came off of OLAS. My third *I think* but can't remember 100% came off of OLAS.

OLAS does work even though sometimes I believe it doesn't. It's very random though...I have a friend with identical qualifications and experiences (our resumes probably almost look identical) and sometimes I'll get called off of OLAS for a position and she won't and vice versa.

I do know that some schools even if they are registered to use OLAS, they don't. One of the districts I did a leave in had a probationary position open this summer. They did not post it anywhere, but I found out through a friend who is still in the district. Only those people who randomly mailed/emailed their resumes got called in to interview....of course they already had someone pre selected....but still.

I do have a question though. For those with multiple certs, how did you find out what additional classes you need? I am certified in Childhood Ed and Literacy. I want to get a special ed cert and early childhood cert. If I apply through the teach website, will they give me the exact courses I need (in addition to the CST I know). I'm worried if I apply through TEACH they are just going to tell me I need courses but won't tell me which ones. Anyone know?

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

You will have to do some sort of student teaching hours to get the additional cert.

I emailed them whenever I hada question bc phone number was always busy...they took a while but always responded.

15. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

Since I'm just looking for extensions, I am pretty sure I don't need to do student teaching again. Just need the additional coursework. I have a general idea of what courses I need but just wanted more specific.

Thanks for your input though :)

16. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 14, 2010

I have a sped cert and was hired. Sped is one of the only certs you can hire. go on teachnyc. to see guidelines.

17. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

Oh, Im not familiar with the guidelines for extensions. When I got my Reading cert. (while holding elem/sped) I had to do a certain number of hours with a student-administering tests and basically tutoring and that fulfilled the "student teaching" it wasn't in a classroom it was after school. For my library cert. I had to do a couple of hours each day at another building that started earlier before going to my building bc that was the only way I could fulfill the 240hrs that were required by the state for the certification. I'm thinking an extension would be shorter but I don't really know.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 14, 2010

For the extension I'm getting, I just needed a few credits and I had to take a workshop and 1 test. They sent me a letter saying that I needed 1 math class and 1 science class. When I applied for a different certification a few years ago, they sent me a very detailed list of courses I needed to take. I would have needed to do student teaching but I had classroom experience so I got a waiver signed. I think it just depends on what you need. Sometimes you can pick what you want to take as long as it satisfies certain credit hours and sometimes they are very specific about what you need.

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2010

The best thing you can do is apply and send it to your local BOCES (it usually is much quicker and easier to reach the people at BOCES than at State ED) and they'll tell you exactly what requirements you're missing. It will cost $100, but you will know exactly what you need and if you are unsure if a course will meet the requirements then you can submit a course description after they have your application for a certificate on file. A lot of times you will end up needing less courses than you originally think, so it is good to get the evaluation first (I have heard of a few people taking courses they didn't end up needing because they took courses before the evaluation). I don't believe you need to do a practicum or student teaching for the students with disabilities certification and know that you don't for the early ed certification.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 14, 2010

Now I have students with disabilities 1-6 and 7-12. Does anyone know if it's worth it to go for B-2? If it's a load of coursework I might not bother. Especially if I have to do some kind of student teaching.

21. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 17, 2010

Yes, I am in NY too and getting rejection after rejection. Unlike everyone here I am not currently employed in a private school or have had several leave replacements. Only day to day subbing. I would do anything for even a 3 week leave replacement or a .2 teaching position. Everyone is looking for an experienced teacher and I know I can't offer that until someone offers it to me. If you think you have it bad looking for a job--you could be me stuck again with nothing subbing day to day in a school that won't ever hire you.

22. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

I understand your frustration. I started this process a few years ago but here is how it went for me. I subbed in 2 local districts for a year straight. I was planning on going back to being a sub (because I couldn't find anything) but I got word that there was a teaching assistant opening last minute (a week before school started). This district ONLY hires TA's who are certified teachers. I dropped my resume off in person and was hired on the spot as a TA. I spent 2 months as a TA while applying to every leave I found in other districts. One finally gave me a chance.

When I interviewed, I played up my subbing and TA experience to an extreme. As a TA, I had my own group I worked with so I was able to speak of real experiences. I often wonder why someone gave me a leave with so little experience but they did.

I guess what my point is, I know it sucks, I know it's frustrating but keep applying. Someone will give you a chance when you least expect it.

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2010

I just had an interview today and already got a rejection call. The principal was very nice, though, and asked me if I had any questions, so I asked him what I could do to improve. He told me that I was well prepared with all of my certifications and that my literacy answer was great, but that all of the people being asked back for second interviews had been LTSs in the district, which I totally get. And that getting more experience (the only experience I have besides student teaching is teaching seventh and eighth grade math for a semester) would make my answers better, because then I could talk about more specific examples.

I'm just so disappointed that I didn't get second interview, because I felt that the interview went so well. I've been on ~25 interviews in the last year or so for so many different kinds of positions (math, reading, math AIS, elementary, preschool, LTSs) and I haven't gotten anything. I have worked so hard on my interview skills, resume, cover letter, brochure, etc. and nothing has seemed to help.

I have another kindergarten (an LTS one, though) interview tomorrow, so hopefully the interview today and the advice that the principal gave will help me tomorrow.

24. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2010

Wow you got a rejection call? I've never gotten one of those (only letters ) I think its great that you were able to talk to the principal and get feedback.

Best of luck tomorrow!

25. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2010

Thanks, PCdiva!

It seems that in about half of my interviews they've called me to tell me that I didn't get it. It was really nice of the principal to give me advice!

26. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2010

Wow half? Where are you from?

I've had 10 interviews this season..9 rejection letters and one no answer so far.

27. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2010

I live in Central New York, but I've interviewed throughout Upstate NY, but it's weird now that I'm thinking about it all of the calls that I've received have been from jobs I've interviewed for within an hour of my house.

It seems like it's really just up to individual principals around here if they want to call or send a letter, because in one district I've had three interviews and two have called to let me know and one sent a letter. For one job I got two rejection calls (principal and HR) and a rejection letter...Now that was a kind of hard, but at least they cared enough to let everyone know.

28. womby

womby Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

I can second the emotions regarding rejections. Over the last 2 summers, I've sent out so many resumes for positions all over NYS, and though I wouldn't expect to be called for interviews for all of them, it's nice to have them at least acknowledge that I had applied. It's funny though, for some of the jobs I've applied for on the other side of the state, I received rejection letters that said things like "Thank you for your recent application, but..." or "We have received your application, but..." and for others IN THE SAME COUNTY I LIVE IN I didn't even get a letter.

For one job that I was really hoping for, in a district that I subbed for, I got my materials in the day after the job was posted, I had my former principal call and talk me up to the current principal, and even subbed for several days for the teacher that would be retiring, but never received a call. Finally, after school ended for the year (as I thought, maybe they were just waiting till school was over and things settled down to do interviews) I called to see what the status was, and I was told the position had been filled. The next day, I received a rejection letter, dated the day I opened the letter. There's so much about that experience, I don't even know what to think...

Last summer, I even interviewed for my first teaching job. To clarify, I mean my original teaching job. I left it to take a position at a school close to my home, and it didn't work out, and the person who took the position after I left, didn't last, so I interviewed for my old job. In all fairness, it was with a new superintendent, but on a panel that included teachers that I had previously worked with, a board member that had previously recommended me for tenure, and students that I had taught before I left. I received a letter telling me that they decided to go with a teacher that was a better fit for the district. Wow! What a slap in the face.

If you haven't figured it out, I hate rejections. Rejections of all kinds. Letters, phone calls, not getting phone calls, not getting interviews, not getting letters. Rejection sucks!

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 18, 2010

I don't remember who wanted this website so I'll put it here. It's for a NY teacher placement agency. It's a little late for this year but they could help someone for mid-year openings.

http://www.nysteacherjobs.com/

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 24, 2010

Keep looking guys! OLAS just posted 2 new jobs in my area so I'm sure there are many more out there. Just keep at it. Don't give up yet!