NY CST Multi-Subject

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by b00b00h, Jan 11, 2008.

1. b00b00h

b00b00h New Member

Jan 11, 2008

Did anyone take the CST Multi-Subject this pass October? [edited for the poster's security]

Does anyone remember some questions on the exam that they took recently that they can share? I am taking the CST in February again and I know sometimes the questions gets recycled. I have the Kaplan study guide and the preparation guide from NYSTCE but was looking for more preparation material or questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2008
  3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2008

b00b00h, we don't post actual test questions on this Web site, and if you reread the rules of participation for CST, I bet you'll find something that mandates that you not share specific actual test questions on pain of having your test scores cancelled - and possibly worse. See also the warning that the A to Z owner has posted at the head of this Web page.

We'd be delighted to discuss issues that are raised by the questions, however.

4. b00b00h

b00b00h New Member

Jan 12, 2008

My apologies. That was an oversight on my part. Thank you for pointing it out.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 12, 2008

To paraphrase badly, the skin you save will be your own, and more than your own - these outfits get a little possessive about their questions (and it turns out that they have good reason to do so, but that's a somewhat different story with which you're free to disagree).

Now, then: Your post raised issues of art history and art interpretation. On a constructed response question in a multiple subjects test, it's quite grand if you can identify the movement in art history to which an artwork belongs, but it's not the end of the world if you can't: if you can show off enough relevant art-related terminology, you can still get quite solid partial credit.

There are some very fine children's books and Web sites that will help you with your question and perhaps also even draw (!) you into the subject - see if you can find the Introduction to Art published by Usborne (and you want the Internet-linked edition), or try one of these for starters:

http://arthist.cla.umn.edu/aict/html/index.html
    http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/fakeart/fakeart.html
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/powerofart/view.php?page=eclassroom&campaign=features_t

As you work through an art timeline, jot down some notes to yourself as to what strikes your eye about the different movements. It doesn't have to be what the art historians notice; for example, one thing I notice about portraits of the Italian Renaissance is that the women tend not to have cheekbones: see the Mona Lisa.

6. b00b00h

b00b00h New Member

Jan 12, 2008

Thanks for the info.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2008

I took the practice exams in the study guide, then focused on those areas I needed work in. For art, I said to myself.................. hmmmm, a multi subject exam would more than likely want to know generalities rather than specifics. So , I made sure I knew about different styles, time periods, and characteristics.

You will do fine !

8. AnthonyA

AnthonyA Rookie

Jan 18, 2008

I just got my score and passed it on the first time....thank God! lol

boobooh, it's a little bit of everyting. Just study the book and do your best! You'll be fine!!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2008

Congratulations, AnthonyA! I know you'd been concerned. Go reward yourself for your accomplishment, please (nobody ever passed one of these things purely on luck, no matter what people say).

10. AnthonyA

AnthonyA Rookie

Jan 18, 2008

Thanks TeacherGroupie!

I agree. It's takes plenty of hard work as well. Thanks again!!!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2008

(beaming)

My pleasure, AnthonyA.

12. Little Teacher

Little Teacher Rookie

Dec 13, 2008

Hey AnthonyA,
    Congrats on passing the test. I agree with the TeacherGroupie, no one passes the CST without studying hard. If people say that they have passed based on their luck, well I should probably say that I do not believe them. Anyways, good luck to everyone who will be writing the exam, it is not an easy one. If anyone needs any help regarding the CST, please let me know and I would love to share my experiences that will hopefully help you out.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 14, 2008

The real reason it makes me edgy to hear people attribute passing a test to "luck" is that it's best if they own their success - the ones who pass don't pass just through luck but through their own effort and willingness to fake the answer they don't know cold because they do know the underlying principles well enough.

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2008

just a note................... would you really feel better knowing that you answered a question correctly or knowing that you understand why the question is correct. For me, I'd much rather understand the true meaning of the questions.

sometimes not passing is a blessing............. teaches us that we still have more to learn not that we have " failed" as a person.

Just a reflection on tests in general!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 14, 2008

The goal of teacher tests is definitely not to wash people out, but rather to send 'em back to the drawing board - and yes, indeed, Frizz, that's a very different proposition.

16. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008

Took it today, seemed fine. Here are some general pointers I picked up both from prep materials and my own experience:

1. The essay ALWAYS deals with teaching reading. Everything else is multiple choice.
    Therefore:
    a. Bone up on your literacy teaching skills, particularly on how to identify a student's needs based on their mistakes, because that is generally the style of the question.
    b. Instead of trying to memorize every fact you can gather on other topics, practice good multiple-choice strategies and focus on general knowledge that can help you figure things out.

For example, don't worry too hard about specific artists in history because frankly the chances that the ones you know will appear on the test are slim. Rather, learn a little about some basic principles of art so you can tell which answers make sense. (For instance, if the question is "Andy Warhol's art is characterized by..." and choice A is "the use of perspective to convey content" then you don't need to know who Andy Warhol is in order to realize that doesn't make much sense.)

Also, the art questions are often accompanied by pictures that can be very helpful. Just stay cool and use your common sense.

2. In general, the test aims at seeing if you are prepared to teach general content, not so much on how well you know it yourself. So instead of having to actually do much figuring out or recalling, you will have to think more along the lines of "what concept or strategy would I advise a student to use to deal with this?" (For example, you may be able to add backwards and forwards and inside-out, but you may have to say that you are using the commutative property. This did not show up on my exam but it's in all the prep books and is a reasonable comparison to some of the concepts that were on my exam)

There's not much else that I remember noticing as a theme... Just practice, because some of the question styles take more thinking than your typical multiple choice. They try to pack a lot of punch into those 90 questions, so sometimes you have to go through a variety of thinking skills to get at the answer.

I was much more concerned about the CST Students With Disabilities... way too much specific information about strategies for specific situations. I can't remember ALL that stuff -- frankly, when I have my specific group of students, I do research accordingly and then learn on the job! How are college students supposed to know all that stuff? Oh well... 4 weeks until we find out how it really went... <settles down on pins n needles>

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 15, 2008

By and large, it is indeed the case that tests from what used to be NES are less about memorization than they are about the intelligent application of principles and thinking strategies. (That's one of the things I like about the series.)

But please don't spend the next four weeks on pins and needles, Bored: find something else to occupy your brain, hm?

(Here's a hug for the meantime.)

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2008

Bored................ Yes! Exactly!

By th way, I'm sure you did fine. The essay is usualy based on the " hot topic" in education and literacy certainly is it these days.... I had to do a smiliar essay.