Nutrition Unit

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by miss jennifer, Apr 7, 2006.

1. miss jennifer

miss jennifer Rookie

Apr 7, 2006

I have to prepare a nutrition unit for kindergarten. I have a learning center already made up, where the students will sort picture cards as either being nutritious or non-nutritious. I wanted to know if anyone had any idea where I could look to find ideas for lessons / activities for the students. I am not sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Jennifer

3. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Apr 7, 2006

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 7, 2006

Talk about the food pyramid, look through magazines for healthy foods and have them cut them out. Have a healthy snack day and have them make something.

5. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 7, 2006

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 9, 2006

I am a preschool teacher turned Supervisor of Food Services. You can check out the USDA web site on child nutrition for activities. The Dairy Council also has activities. When I taught after school classes, I found so much on the internet that I could not begin to use all of it.

Books I like to use:
    Gregory the Terrible Eater
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar
    To find more, run a search on Amazon.com (picture books, food)

7. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Apr 9, 2006

We have a woman from the local University Extension Center who comes to our school. She teaches the kids using a variety of lessons with songs, puppets, stories, etc. You might check to see if that would be a possibility for you.

We have the Chef Combo puppet, too. There are lots of printables for use in your classroom. You can find information here: http://www.nutritionexplorations.org/educators/lessons/chef-combo/chef-rnav-edu.asp

8. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 9, 2006

Have parents send in healthy snack recipes and make a cookbook with titles such as "Sara's Healthy Dip" "Joe's Yummy Granola Bars..." etc.

Send home a healthy habits chart to use throughout you're unit-parents check off every day if their child had a healthy breakfast (you set the rules for what's considered healthy!), a healthy after school snack, and a healthy supper. After the unit, whoever has above a predermined amount of healthy snacks gets a prize.

You can buy stickers or make certificates that say "I brought a healthy snack to school today."

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 11, 2006