Nursery Rhymes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ilovefirst, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

My team members and I have realized how few nursery rhymes the students are coming to school with as background knowledge. Knowing what a basis for reading nursery rhymes can give students, we have decided to increase them in our teaching in the fall especially.

I have been looking at amazon and various teacher resource places and have found a TON of teacher resource books regarding nursery rhymes. I was wondering if any of you use any or have some favorites you could point me to

or

favorite lessons you'd be willing to share. I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the amount I'm finding online and would like to know someone else uses it and likes it!

:thanks:

3. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

I saw that too, so we made a book of nursery rhymes and the kids helped color and illustrate it.

Rock 'N Learn has a video (and probably a cd) of nursery rhymes put to a modern beat that my kids loved.

4. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jul 30, 2008

The 4 yr old PreK students all picked and memorized a nursery rhyme and recited it from memory at their "graduation" ceremony. So cute!

There are lots of fun books that are a spin on a traditional nursery rhyme. I have a list at school. One of the new ones this past year was called Dimity Dumpty. It is the story of Humpty Dumpty's little sister. You could use this in conjunction with learning the traditional Humpty Dumpty.

5. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

6. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

Thanks for the ideas! Keep them coming, PLEASE!

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2008

I used some nursery rhymes and fairy tales for reading skills reviews (state test review sessions) in 6th grade and you're right, kids didn't know them. I can't remember the exact lessons but I think there was prediction, rhyming, character, point of view, that sort of thing.

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2008

My students do a nursery rhyme diorama as one of their monthly family homework projects. They have to depict the characters and setting of a nursery rhyme inside a shoebox. They are so cute!

I've approached nursery rhymes many different ways. Sometimes I do a unit and sometimes I do one a week to go in a poetry folder. Sometimes I just do them randomly as they fit in with something else (like Humpty Dumpty when we learn the letter H).

I love having students act out Jack be Nimble and inserting their own name. We just all sit in a big circle and recite the rhyme over and over again using each child's name. They get to jump over a candlestick.

We make little lambs with cottonballs for Mary Had a Little Lamb.

We highlight rhyming words in nursery rhymes.

We've acted them out with our 5th grade buddies before. We give them a few buddy sessions to work on them. Sometimes they make costumes/masks and backdrops and props, too.

9. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I LOVE these ideas from everyone! Thanks sooooo much! I'm making notes - keep suggesting. I'm also getting excited about this!!!!

10. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

Dr. Jean has a nursery rhyme CD.
    I just did a project on this for my Master's class, but don't have access to my files while I am on vacation!!
    One thing that I am going to try this year (I teach K) is the kids are going to have a notebook. They will glue a nursery rhyme on one side and draw a picture on the next page to go with the nursery rhyme (I will do one nursery rhyme a day) I am hoping it helps them remember the rhymes when they look back in their book.
    I wish I had access to my files, I would send them to you! Sorry!