Nursery Assistant Issues.....please help

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Amy87, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Amy87

Amy87 New Member

Apr 23, 2016

At the preschool I work at I recently was given the lead teacher position in the nursery. I am thrilled about this as I love working with infants and have a lot of experience with them. However, I'm not thrilled with my assistant at all. I am always very concerned about the infants' safety, and there are also a lot of rules and regulations you must follow in an infant room (any preschool room too). Anyways, I can't get anything done with her in the room! I would rather care for 8 infants by myself than work with her. Not only do I have to care for 8 infants, but I'm constantly watching her because she does things that aren't safe. For example, I have an infant that is 10 weeks old and obviously doesn't have head and neck control so his head must be properly supported when he is being held. My assistant picked him up under his arms without giving support to his head and neck. Seeing this makes me very upset and anxious and I told V (we'll call her V) to watch his head. At first she completely ignored me, and I had to say it again. V then told me the way she was handling the baby was fine, and I told her it was not fine and that he needs head support as his neck muscles are still developing. Another time a 3 month old was having tummy time on the floor. I noticed the baby had fallen asleep during tummy time and at the time I was giving another baby a bottle so I asked V (who wasn't doing anything at the time) if she'd please put the baby in her crib because she was sleeping. She just stood there and told me the baby was fine sleeping on her belly on the floor. I asked her again to move the baby to her crib because she is sleeping and according to dcf rules and regulations we are not supposed to let infants sleep on their bellies. She got mad but moved the baby to her crib. Here is one more example ( I have so many examples I could write about it all day). A baby that just turned a year old was just finishing his lunch. He was tired and irritable, and V put him in his crib. I asked if his diaper had been checked before putting him in his crib (I already knew it hadn't). She said no it hadn't been checked. I asked her to please check if it was wet so he could nap comfortably in a dry diaper. V responded with "I prefer not to change his diaper and let him sleep wet because he is very irritable" and my response was "I know he is irritable but you know what happened the last time he took a nap while wet? He peed through his diaper and he woke up with his clothes, sheet, and mattress soaked." After going back and forth a few times, I started to get really angry, and I said I would have to stop feeding the baby I was giving a bottle to and do it myself. She stepped in defensively and said she would check his diaper. She was huffing and puffing the whole time checking his diaper. I also notice that when I'm out for my lunch break she is not changing diapers and feeding infants and the whole nursery is screaming when I come back. She is not sanitary with bottles at all, and I have addressed it with her several times, but she continues to ignore me. I have a family that is extremely particular about bottles, and they bring their daughter 6 clean bottles a day, and they only want us to use a bottle once and then rinse it and put it in the diaper bag. When I brought this to her attention because she was reusing the same bottle she got all defensive and said she didn't see what the big deal was. I explained the situation again, but she reused the bottle anyways. Another thing too is that she wants to be in charge. It is not working. I have addressed these issues with the owner who is very supportive of me, and he has told her I'm the lead teacher and that I am in charge in the nursery and that she is the assistant and that she is to follow my lead. This woman is old enough to be my mother, and maybe that has something to do with it. But she has no idea of what she is doing, is constantly defensive and argues with me, and wants to do what is easiest and do things her way. I am at my wits end. Any advice?

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 23, 2016

Does the owner know all the details? If she is not following DCF rules/regulations, then she needs to be let go, because something is going to happen and a child could get hurt, and then the owner could get in trouble as well (hope he knows this)

4. Amy87

Amy87 New Member

Apr 23, 2016

I couldn't agree with you more ChildWhisperer. I have made him aware of the details. This week I documented things going on and I'm going to show him everything I have observed and documented to show him that she is making no effort to do things right. I really hope something gets done because I can only take so much of this. I have a medical condition that requires me to see a doctor every 2 weeks, and I have anxiety about the nursery while at these appointments.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 23, 2016

If he doesn't do anything about it, you might have to find a new job :(
    But if he's a good boss, he will make things better for you.
    I used to have a not-so-great assistant when I worked in daycare/pre-k, and I talked to management about it; they care about all their employees so they did make changes (I got a new assistant and they put her in the school-age room). Not everyone can work with every age group!

6. Audria007

Audria007 Rookie

May 4, 2016

I have had some really not so great assistance all I had to say to the director was not to put them in my room again because it was a safety concern or I didn't like the way they were treating my kids. It's a good idea to document in case a parent complains or calls child services on you guys you have evidence. If things don't change I would leave and call child services myself.

7. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

May 7, 2016

If the owner doesn't do anything about this negligent assistant, its time to report it to DCF. Save a child's life before we read it in the newspapers. PLEASE. These babies have parents who are thinking their children are getting the best care and it sounds like they are not.