Numbers

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kburen, Mar 11, 2008.

1. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 11, 2008

I'm at a loss for what else to do with this child. She was in pre-school and we are now 120 days into the Kindergarten school year. This child does not know her numbers and NOTHING seems to be helping. Mom says they are using flashcards that I sent home there but the child says they aren't, so I have no idea if they are or aren't. But, I will tell you everything we have done in class:
    * made number books (glitter numbers 1-10 with that number of things on the page. Ex: big glitter 4 with 4 stickers on it)
    * done worksheets for all numbers
    * flashcards daily in class
    * calendar every day (obviously seeing and saying numbers there)
    * sent home flashcards
    * sent home a file folder game for number recognition (I don't know who's seen it, but it's got pickles with dots on it and the pickle container has the number and you have to match up the correct pickle and jar)
    * yesterday at parent teacher conferences I showed "touch points" to mom and sent her home with a paper with numbers 1-9 and their touch points drawn in. I told her it could confuse her more, or it could help. Since she has figured out that she can find the number that I am showing her on the calendar and count to it to find out what number it is, so I hope if she can memorize where the points are, she'll learn the numbers because she can count the points.

Any other suggestions???? Even though they are supposed to know numbers through 35 for report cards, I'm just trying to get her to learn through 10. She was pulled out twice today for about 5 minutes each time to practice the flashcards through 10. She knows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8. And I'm not sure if she really knows them or what...I say this because I showed her the number 17 and covered up the 1...she couldn't tell me the other number was a 7. I'm at a loss now.....:anyone:

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 11, 2008

Sounds like she honestly can't identify the numbers at random. How is she at all the other subjects?

4. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 11, 2008

I know she can't identify them...that's why I was asking for advice on other ways to try to help her. She's great with everything else in math (got a 100 on her first 9 week math test, but there were no number identification on it, got a 70something on her 2nd 9 week test because there was more than just numbers and she had good guesses on which number she circled when it was "count the dogs and circle the correct number"). She's doing fine now with the days of the week, ordering (first, next, last...what happens before and what happens after), and 3-d shapes (identifying sphere, cube, cone and cylinder and knowing if they can be rolled, slide, or stacked and how many flat surfaces each has). She can count to 59 (not as high as she needs to yet, but still not horrible). She's coming along slowly in reading. She can identify most letters and many of the sounds (again, all that she can do is improving, where as her numbers don't seem to be). She can't identify her sight words, but she tells us (myself and her PALs tutor) that she doesn't practice them at home.

5. maroki

maroki Comrade

Mar 11, 2008

I'm sorry to hear she is struggling so much! Here are two suggestions that might be worth trying:

(1) Create touch numbers of your own with some kind of textured material or something for the "touch dots"...the different texture may help her pick up the numbers more quickly.

(2) Get number blocks or magnet numbers and stick them in a sock or box with a hole in it. Ask her to stick her hand in and hold onto a number and identify it just by the shape of it. Start with a small amount of numbers (2 or 3) that she already knows and give her practice with those before introducing new numbers. Make sure you let her feel and explore the shape of any new numbers (and make sure you tell her the number) before you put them in the sock or box. I've never tried this, but a kindergarten teacher at my school swears by this for both letters and numbers for extremely struggling students.

6. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 12, 2008

Thanks! My PALs tutor comes in twice a day. Once for PALs and once just to help with whatever we're doing. She's using the "just to help" time now to pull her and drill her with the flashcards. I'll get something together for her and see if today when she pulls her she can try the numbers in a box suggestion. I have the magnetic numbers already so we'll see what happens!