numbering system for students

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by scienceteach50, Aug 3, 2006.

1. scienceteach50

scienceteach50 Companion

Aug 3, 2006

I was reading other posts talking about giving students a number so that you can alphabetize papers more quickly and thus speed up grading. Has anyone used this for 8th graders?

We have a lot of kids comming and going throughout the school year. So if i were to use this numbering system, how would i incorporate the new students?

My electronic gradebook automatically sorts students by last name, so if a new kid comes in mid year with the last name somewhere in the middle it would screw up my numbering system.

Any Ideas?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2006

I seat my kids in alphabetical order. Each paper they hand in has their row number on it. That does it for me!

But what you could do is number the first kid 10,then 20, 30... It will allow you to add in a 15, then a 17 and so on.

4. mathquest

mathquest Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Hello Science Teach 50,
    I have not used the numbering system in a classroom, but I first learned about it while I was teaching 8th grade math. I would ABSOLUTELY use it in 8th grade. I plan on using the system with my 9th and 10th graders this year.

I also like Alice acc's suggestion about using 10, 20, 30, etc and inserting a 15 or 17. Good luck with it.

5. Lydia

Lydia Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Do you ever find that parents get upset with the use of a numbering system? Personally, I find it very impersonal.

6. mathquest

mathquest Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Lydia,
    I haven't used the numbering system, but I have had to deal with unreasonable parents who could be upset about this impersonal system. Numbering is just like alphabetizing. It makes ordering easier. As a math teacher myself, I would rather deal with numbers than letters and the numbering system will be part of my classroom management.

7. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Aug 3, 2006

I am going to number my students. They use a class set of books rather than bringing a book back and forth from home to school and their number will correspond to the book as well as the gradebook. As far as the coming and going goes, I just deal with it. Their are maybe two students in the class that will be out of number order and I just put a post-it on that page in the gradebook to remind me.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 3, 2006

I use a numbering system with 7th and 8th graders and it works great. My student's numbers are set-up with their class period first then a hyphen and there student number. For example, Johnny who is in my first period class and is #16 in my first period class would write 1-16 on all of his papers. My gradebook lets me add in students where I want if they come in later so I usually don't have that problem.

9. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

I give my students a number that corresponds with their number in the roll book - I use that number for their mailboxes and this is where I return their papers. I don't think it is impersonal, they also put their names on their papers, it just makes it easier for me to hand back their stuff.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2006

I use it in second- the kids just put a number after their names on their papers that get turned in. I don't call them by their numbers-I use their NAMES at all times and use the numbers only for organizing paperwork....(ok ok maybe sometimes I use it to reinforce a math idea like if your class number is an odd number you can line up......) I know all my kids well, their learning styles, abilities, skills, strengths and struggles so no, the number system is not impersonal for me- just a convenience. Reallly, if parents are going to get upset over it they reallly need to get some hobbies. I work too hard differentiating, planning lessons, integrating content across the curriculum, going to IEP meetings, collaborating with colleagues,making decisions about how to best reach all my learners, handling misbehaviors, keeping communications going with home and school, etc etc, juggling, keepling as many balls in the air at one time as I can, dancing as fast as I can-LIKE WE ALL DO...so noooooo we are not being impersonal at all...the numbers are just a strategy to maintain a little sanity...

11. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Aug 9, 2006

czacza...WELL SAID!!!!!! I applaud you!!! :)!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2006

Thanks MrsRich!!! I just know how hard we all work!! Anything to make it just a little easier is good by me!!!!:D