Number System

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Jun 7, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 7, 2011

For those who use this how do you use it and teach it? I have heard some teachers say they make the kids memorize the number and file their own papers away. How does this work?

Pros and cons?

I teach first so not sure how manageable this is.

3. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Jun 7, 2011

In the kindergarten classroom that I was in this year, the students had coat hooks, cubbies, and mailboxes each with the same corresponding number. It didn't take long at all for them to remember their number. It was used by the teacher for various grouping of the students mainly, but also as another tool for labeling items that were student specific (ex. headphones).

4. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jun 7, 2011

I use it for fourth grade in the same way, and it doesn't take much teaching at all for them to memorize their numbers. In fact, they all pretty much know each other's numbers! I also use it for my lunch count. When they come in the morning, they put a magnet with their number under their lunch choice. This way, if I lose a student and a new student comes, they can just start using the old number and I don't have to make anything new in the middle of the year.

5. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jun 7, 2011

I use it in the same way, they also write it on their papers. It comes in so handy, after a couple weeks I have their numbers memorized and I can very easily go through and make sure that I have all of their papers. I find it is so much easier to remember who is #1 instead of names in alphabetical order. Also, if we are on a field trip and I want to do a quick check to make sure I have everyone I just call out numbers...it sounds like such small things, but it really comes in handy!

6. samuelarnold

samuelarnold Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

I teaching a pc maintenance course at a junior college. Part of the curriculum is the Binary numbering system. I am looking for an easily understood handout to help my students out.

7. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jun 8, 2011

I hope you check back because I think you'll get some great ideas here

http://www.newmanagement.com/handbook/handbook.html

Look to the right hand side for the links on numbering your students. Unfortunately, these are just exerpts from the book. If you want all the ideas and info you'll have to buy the book. I have mine on order!

Also, just FYI you should take a while to explore that site. Rick Morris has some excellent classroom management ideas.

Enjoy!

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

We use the number system from K-8th grade in our district. Students are so used to it by the time they get to me. It makes it easy to file and record information on students.

9. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jun 8, 2011

The classroom teacher of one of my groups uses this with 3 and 4 year olds, and it works well even for them.

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

I want to use if but I can't figure another way it will be helpful to me besides filing their stuff away. We do not do a lunch count.

This is something I really need to think about during the summer.

11. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Jun 8, 2011

What about grouping the students quickly, and randomly? Also, being able to say things along the lines of, "if you are an odd number, line up. Numbers 1-5 go to this station. Arrange yourselves in number order starting with 1." etc. I'm sure there are plenty of efficient things that can be done with using numbers.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

Handing out and collecting supplies, organizing things from year to year, putting papers in abc order, organizing and assessing kids.

13. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

I think the most helpful for me would be for putting papers in order.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 8, 2011

I assign my kids numbers at the start of school. I have a large pocket chart with 27 individual pockets. When they turn in papers, they turn them in to their pocket. I have 2 sets of numbers that I pull from to call on students (one in the front of the room and one in back by the document camera). I use numbers to have them line up. It's just a quick, easy way to keep the kids in order.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2011

We use numbers too. All the kid's books are marked with their number, and they line up in number order. I haven't seen any cons with it, but the biggest pro is their line is always in order, and since they know exactly where to go in line, it make field trips so much easier. I am sure there are more things you can do with it, like states, as AsherDasher mentions. I suspect filing would work well too this way.

16. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

TamiJ do your kids line up in the same order every single day of the school year?!!!?
    I've never heard of this.

I line my kids up by groups but they can pretty much line up however they want. Some students do need to be separated but its never been a huge deal.

17. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 8, 2011

We use numbers all of the time for all sorts of things. The kids usually know each others numbers before I do.:blush:

18. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 13, 2011

Been thinking about this and now I am back.

Do you give students numbers according to ABC order? What if a new student comes? Do you just add them at the end? What if a student leaves?

Also do you put the students number on their name tags?

19. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Aug 13, 2011

If a new student comes in I would just make them 4A that way the papers are still in order for your gradebook. I did put their numbers on their name tags.

20. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 13, 2011

That is a good idea. I know someone said in a previous post that if a student leaves and another comes in you just give them the old students number. But then that is not ABC order.

21. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

I use 10.5 or whichever number it would be. If a student leaves, just leave that number out unless a new student moves in to that alphabetical spot (it does happen).

I number them according to ABC order. If you have a student with a last name that starts with A, they get used to being first by sixth grade sometimes.

I would put the number on their name tags if I was in a younger grade.

22. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2011

I use the numbers for all the above and soooo much more!
    It's best for entering grades as my numbers are in ABC order.
    When a new student arrives, they become the last number.
    I can arrange that student in my computer grade book there.

It's quick to see which paper is missing.
    Quick to learn which student is not back from gym.
    Quick check on field trips.
    Give one set of directions to odd numbers and another to even numbers.

23. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 13, 2011

I know for sure I will be using numbers in my classroom. I am just sooo worried that I will not remember their numbers.

Seriously(and this is bad) there were so many kids that I never memorized how to spell their last names. :(
    I had many names that were not common. If I can't remember that then how will I even remember the numbers.
    Even when I put my kids in ABC order I could not remember the order unless I had my roll.

Please tell me I am not the only one.

24. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 13, 2011

I wouldn't worry too much about having their numbers memorized... Just keep a master list. The kids usually learn everyone's so quickly that you can be like who is number 5 and the whole class will say "That's Billy" :)

25. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

If you are entering grades and organizing papers in numerical order, you'll get it done eventually. You just use them so much that it's hard not to memorize them!

26. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 14, 2011

Well lets hope I can remember them. I think I'm going to like using this system.