Number Sense activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherlissa, Nov 3, 2009.

1. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Nov 3, 2009

I need some ideas for teaching 3rd graders number sense and basic place value. I have never had students not be able to turn to page 123...they can't figure it out. Not this is just a handful and I am having someone come in and pull them into a small group but I need them to know the basics because trying to teach them 3 digit subtraction just isn't working. :lol: I guess my question should be directed to 1st grade or maybe even kindergarten...something fun..possibly a center type activity.

THANKS A BUNCH TEACHER FRIENDS!! :p

3. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 3, 2009

It's not a quick-fix, but it is a great number sense activity. I do a "secret number" daily with my math kids (grade 3). Here is how it works: I pick a number (beg of yr, 1-50; now 1-100; later 1-1000) and they have to guess my number by asking fewer than 10 yes/no questions. They learn quickly not to guess individual numbers, and I coach them to use mathematical terms like greater than/less than. They LOVE it.

Right now, however, we are using an activity called "estimation jar" instead. I provide a clear non-breakable container w/ a tight fitting lid and I filled it initially w/ some edible food item. They estimate how many are in it, and the person who is the closest gets to take it home and fill it for the next day. An individual student may only take it home 2 times, then it goes to the next closest student. We have had anywhere from 58 lollipops to 852 red-hots! It is fun for all and it only takes about 3 minutes of class time. I think we will continue using it until everyone has had at least one turn w/ it...or Thanksgiving...

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2009

Great idea, tgim! Consider it stolen...

5. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Nov 4, 2009

Cute idea!

6. learning2B

learning2B New Member

Nov 4, 2009

love the idea! :)

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

I'm probably way out in left field here, since this sort of math is NOT what I do all day.

But are you asking for page "One twenty-three" (which is how I would say it) or page "One HUNDRED twenty-three" (which is the way my daughter would say it)????

Could you make a game of it?? Have several teams, each armed wtih identical textbooks. At the word "GO" they have to find the 5th word on page 106 or something...

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 5, 2009

On another thread about place value, I mentioned that I thought that many children in upper elementary who struggled with place value hadn't had adequate hands-on preparation and practice in K, 1st, 2nd. I still think it's true, and even more so for kids that don't seem to be born with good number sense. I also think that a daily calendar program which progresses in complexity and abstract thinking and problem solving is absolutely necessary - through 6th grade or so.

These kids probably didn't get enough work with patterns, sequential ordering, problem solving ..... all the basics.

9. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Nov 6, 2009

I think I do both now that I actually sit and think about it...but I am definitely going to catch myself when I call out a page number. I hadn't really thought about that before.

I really need to find things that can be done in a small group with an assistant type of person. I will need to plan small activities but hand the lesson over to someone else. Thanks!