Number of Prep Classes

Discussion in 'High School' started by chasisaac, Oct 15, 2014.

1. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Oct 15, 2014

Is there any study on the number of classes a teacher has to prep for.

I am currently have to prep for five differing classes with only one repeated class. This year I have felt that my teaching has not been as excellent as it should. Three classes seem to be about right.

Is there anywhere to look for the information of the number

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2014

I have never seen a study about this sort of thing.

This year I have two courses to prep for. I teach two sections of one course and four sections of the other. This is the smallest number of preps I have ever had; usually I have three, but occasionally I have four. One year I had five. The year of five preps was not my best or favorite year.

4. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Oct 15, 2014

I have had one prep with six sections that was my favorite year and the best teaching.

I have had three and that seems to be ok.

I was supposed to have four and I thought that was bad. But, I have five and hate this year teaching.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 15, 2014

My first year I had six. Nothing repeated. I have four this year. One of them repeats (three sections). I prefer the diversity. Three was perfect for me. My one class overlaps some with another one this year. It's nice.

6. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 15, 2014

In my department, any teacher having more than 2 preps is strongly discouraged. We only have one teacher who has 3 preps this year and that's only because he fought for the right to teach a special Dual Enrollment class.

This year, I have 2 preps, 5 sections of 1 class and only 1 section of the 2nd. My favorite years are when I have 3 and 3.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2014

I have two preps this semester and I will have 3 different ones next semester.

No one at my school teaches one prep; most teach 2 or 3 and some even teach 4 or 5.