Number of classroom rules

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by momtobaln, Jul 11, 2007.

1. momtobaln

momtobaln Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I'm just starting my first year as a 3rd grade teacher. It is my intention to allow the class to participate in the development of the classroom rules. Just for some sort of guidelines, how many rules would be appropriate for this age? I don't want to overwhelm them but I also don't want to be adding a lot of rules all through the year. Any advice on some "must have" rules that any of you have encountered?

3. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

I was taught in college that you should never have more than 5 rules in any grade. I don't know if I agree with that for high school but I think it's appropriate for K-4.

School wide we have 3 basic rules
    Be resourceful
    Be respectful
    Be responsible

Those can cover any situation that might come up!

Congrats on your new job!

4. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I suggest no more than 5 rules, stated in positive terms.
    For example: Instead of "No talking without permission," Try "Raise your hand for permission to speak."

Mine are:
    Raise your hand for permission to speak.
    Remain in your assigned area.
    Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
    Listen carefully and follow directions.
    Complete and turn in all assignments on time.

These have suited me well for years. :)

5. SweetGaPeach

SweetGaPeach Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I agree that 5 rules should be enough for 3rd graders. Make sure they are written in a postive way. I like the rules from luvtchng. Make sure you put a rule about treating others with respect and refrain from name calling and teasing

6. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

I also let the kids design their own rules, with my guidance of course. They usually come up with a list of about 40 rules! I make a big deal out of NEVER being able to learn all those rules! Then I ask the kids if any of them are close enough that we could make one rule to cover several. We combine and pare them down to 4 or 5. Then we rewrite them into positively stated rules (because no one likes a list of "no's". The kids get a real kick out of seeing their list of 40 turning into a list of 4, without losing anything.

7. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

5 or 6 is good. My 6th one is always "Do your best!"

8. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

on the first day of school, my students create class rules on index cards. on the second day of school, we review the rules then realize how many different rules we have so then we sort and categorize. finally we relabel to fit our schoolwide rules. we end up with 5. they are able to see how the schoolwide rules cover all of the things we think are important too.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2007

I was thinking of doing something similar. I was going to have my kids write one rule that they think we must have in our classroom. Then, we will organize the rules so that they fit under my categories of classroom rules (Be Safe, Be Respectful, Be Responsible). Then, I'll take the cards they wrote on, put them on a metal ring and hang them below my rules.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2007

When you help the kids make the rules you can generally 'boil down' what they come up with into about 5 rules. They say: Dont hit, don't kick, don't pinch- the rule becomes "Keep your hands feet and objects to yourself"...

11. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Our school uses Love & Logic and Conscious Discipline so school wide there are three rules (1) Be Safe (2) Care for each other (3) Be ready to learn. The kids are familiar with the rules so on the first day we make charts for each of the rules that list examples of what it look like for each rule. We also use the love and logic line "you can do whatever you want as long as it doesn't make a problem for others".