Number of Assessments Per Class?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by darthmojo, Dec 3, 2015.

1. darthmojo

darthmojo Rookie

Dec 3, 2015

Hello Again!!!

Quick question. How many assessments do you use in determining your students grades. I teach high school video production. I feel like I am being pushed to do more "Assessments" but I'd rather be teaching them and not worrying about their "grade." On average how many "grades" do you count towards a grade in your classes? I feel like I do quite a lot of "assessments," but I feel like I'm being looked down on because I'm not doing "enough" and I have to prove my class is important since its an art.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2015

My admin has always recommended that we aim for two grades in the gradebook per week, one practice and one assessment.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 3, 2015

That's about what I try to do at minimum as well. I try to get at least one homework grade in, (usually a homework packet), and one project/lab in .

5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Dec 3, 2015

We are told to have one grade a week in (homework, test, project, quiz, class work, etc.) which equates to about 10 a marking period. I usually have around 12-13. Any more than that is creating too much work for yourself.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2015

I worked at a school a few years ago that required 5 grades per subject per week...I didn't do any teaching, just testing.

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2015

Elementary (intermediate) and no set requirement, but naturally, we're supposed to be giving some sort of feedback to the parents, and that includes the use of our online gradebook. On overall lifeskills / HW completion, I send home something each week to parents, and then there's usually one or two grades across the subjects that I'll put in at some point over that week.

Of course, there's daily formative assessing (exit tickets and such) that I do, but I don't like putting much formative assessment in the gradebook.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 3, 2015

10 daily and 4 test per 6 weeks
    This is for 3-12.

9. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Dec 4, 2015

Three homework assignments and one test per week.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 4, 2015

I do whatever I feel like at the time. Thankfully we do not have any guidelines. I typically test once a week. Sometimes I'll only have a test grade that week and sometimes I'll have many grades. Just depends on my time and what I'm aiming for.

mathmagic likes this.
  11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 5, 2015

My tutoring students are on online curriculums. At Laurel Springs, one of them has 64 history assignments for the semester. At least a third are research essays or projects. Whew. In English, she has 46 assignments.

12. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Dec 5, 2015

3 a week for each subject

13. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Dec 6, 2015

I teach high school English. I give 5-6 tests/papers per semester (approximately 1 every 3 weeks), one quiz per week, and 2-3 homework assignments per week.

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 6, 2015

Oh wow. Three assignments per week, with at least one research assignment or project? That... seems a little excessive.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 6, 2015

You're telling me! I only have this student 4 hours a week, too.

16. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Dec 7, 2015

I also aim for 2 grades per week. One of them is usually a weekly quiz given on a Friday and then a practice (formative assessment) from the week.

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 7, 2015

I shoot for two grades a week. I often get more with my speech students and fewer with my film students, but my film grades are bigger, longer projects.

18. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 8, 2015

I teach high school history and since September 8th (first day), I have 55 grades in the book. That includes homeworks, daily quizzes, classworks, tests and papers though. Daily (every other day due to alternating) homework and quizzes adds up quickly.

19. darthmojo

darthmojo Rookie

Dec 10, 2015

How long do you typically have them working on the same project for film? We are in the block schedule (86 minutes) and it typically will take one week for production, and then another week to edit/color grading their films. Plus pre-production, so it will usually take 3 weeks. Do you grade each step separately or do you just grade it all as one?

20. darthmojo

darthmojo Rookie

Dec 10, 2015

Thank you everyone for your answers!!!!!

As for the formative assessments/some homework that most of you say you use each week, how do you grade it? Do you usually give just like a credit for doing it? a check, check plus, check minus type of grade? If you do checks, how do you make it into a numerical grade to add into the gradebook when calculating their grade? When i do some assessments I'm not sure how many points to make them to make it all consistent all semester and have the points make sense overall.