Number counting help anyone?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by cougars5, Oct 9, 2007.

1. cougars5

cougars5 Rookie

Oct 9, 2007

I have a lot of 1st graders who are struggling recognizing and writing numbers past 10 and counting to 100. Does anyone have any games or strategies to help recognize numbers or even count by 10's and 5's? It is hard to move on in math if you don't recognize numbers and can't write them!!!:help:

3. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 9, 2007

The only suggestion I can give is multiple practice! I unfortunately cannot think of any fun activitites. Give them number worksheets to complete. Have them trace the numbers, have them create tactile pictures displaying the symbol, write the word and picture. pair a more capable student with a student who needs help. Have flashcards they can work on. Play concentration with numbers... so they will have to visually match the pictures.

Maybe during a morning meeting practice counting every day. You can even give the students their own hundred number chart and they have to point to their chart as your read the numbers together. To count by 5's... have the students highlight every fifth number. Have them point and read the numbers together.

Play Sparkle with counting. I play this practicing 5's. I say we will count by 5's to 50. Students stand in a circle. Moving clockwise... each student takes a turn counting. If they do not know the number they have to sit down. Once the last students says, "50" the next after says, "sparkle" and the next has to sit down. Then it starts all over! I am not doing a good job describing this!

Here are free printables...
    http://www.first-school.ws/theme/numbers_preschool_printables.htm

4. Victoriateacher

Victoriateacher Rookie

Oct 9, 2007

those are all great ideas! I also play a card dismissal game at the end of math. I give each student a flashcard- on the flashcard is either a numeral, the number in writing (ie. fourteen) or a picture with that number of items. There is always someone who has a card that will match up with theirs. They must find their partner by trying to match cards. Once two partners find eachother, they can go get ready for dismissal. It's a great way to quickly assess the students and they all leave at different times. I have used this activity for a variety of concepts and it works well.

5. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Oct 10, 2007

Love that idea-- I'm going to steal it! :)