NPR's Ron Schiller - ready, aim, fire...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Major, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2011

Schiller shot himself in the foot..... Now, apparently, the NPR is in damage control......

Anyone think the NPR is biased in their programming? If so, should the government spend taxpayer's dollars to support the NPR?

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...ron_schiller_on_ice_after_james_okeefe_vi.php

"His resignation was announced publicly last week, and he was expected to depart in May," Rehm said. "While we review this situation, he has been placed on administrative leave."

3. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Mar 8, 2011

I'm not sure I understand the question. Schiller said some foolish things, and he's facing serious consequences for it. My opinion of NPR hasn't changed.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2011

Major, I do so love you (really), but it's bothersome to hear on a regular basis statements like the one you made above. Why must teachers express their opinion on everything related to...well, anything remotely "intellectual"? I don't listen to NPR often so while I read the link I'm not familiar with the story. I'd have to dig a little more to read the actual comments.

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2011

Thank you, JustMe... You made me feel good .... It's been an especially tough day... I have a very good life..... but on occasion I have my own demons .. :hugs:.. Major

6. XOEmmyLouOX

XOEmmyLouOX Rookie

Mar 9, 2011

I am a fan of NPR. I listen to it daily. I don't find it to be biased in its reporting. It is a wonderful way to get the news stories that no one else reports on. I worry that it and programs like Sesame Street will suffer if they money is cut.

7. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Mar 9, 2011

Coming late to this thread, but just wanted to say I don't see why Major shouldn't bring up this as a topic--after all, it is the "teacher time-out" forum. Nothing to do with education, just everyday sort of topics that might interest people.

I thought it was interesting to read that PBS said they too were approached but after looking into the "group" said it seemed suspicious and turned down the offer.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2011

There is no reason why he shouldn't bring up this topic. I think that the comments suggesting that teachers might not have an opinion about this were referencing the content of the deleted posts.