Now what???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MomtoCAV, Jul 18, 2008.

1. MomtoCAV

MomtoCAV Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

Ok, I am looking for guidance from you experienced teachers.....after working for twenty years in an office environment, I am switching careers. I am going to be teaching 2nd grade and am so excited. I have been cleaning out my classroom this past week, as the old teacher retired and pretty much left everything!
    I am finally at the point where I can begin arranging things the way I want them and bringing in the various items I have purchased for the classroom.

I will working as a team with the other 2nd grade teachers at the school, and I am very excited about this, BUT we will not be meeting formally until about four days before school starts. At that time we will be determining our schedule for the day, classroom management system, etc.

My question is...what could/should I be doing at this point? Should I begin working on my lesson plans, or wait until I speak with the team leader?

I know I am prepared for this new journey, but I can't help but feel l "lost." Any advice will be appreciated.

3. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

Hi! I know how exciting this journey can be!

As far as lesson plans, it wouldn't hurt to make an outline of what you want to do, but I wouldn't set them in stone until you meet with your team. I would definitly be decorating your room to get that out of your way. Try to get everything organized too. Is there anyway you can get a hold of your team to meet to discuss these things.

4. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 18, 2008

I might bring in some ideas you have that might be used by your team.Does every second grade teacher use the same ideas in their classrooms?.Will you be sharing lesson plans,work together on your planning for the week?How do you provide for individual differences?.As a new teacher I would probably do a great deal of listening,but remember you know best once you meet your children what will work best in your classroom.

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2008

Do you have a behavior management system? The nuts and bolts aspect of it might be worthwhile to lay out at this point. Bathroom routines, getting the students' attention, how does the daily flow of your schedule look like, etc. You might also want to do a welcome back bulletin board. Just some ideas.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2008

I agree with the decorating and organizing! Also think about the routines you want to go over and model for the kids. Maybe you can talk with the teachers just to get some basic info to help you prepare:) Congrats on the job!

7. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

Hi Momtocav,

Congratulations! I was in your shoes about two years ago after over 20 years in the business world. You'll love teaching! I do! Anyways it sounds like your team does a lot together so I would not worry about lesson plans. I would be doing things as you have already started, getting your room ready, working on a classroom management/reward system, reviewing the curriculum, deciding on routines/procedures you will teach, preparing for meet the teacher if you have one. If you have a class list you can start making nameplates, folders etc.

During my first year I did not have to write or prepare any lesson plans until January as my team just passed these on to me. It was awesome. The first year was a little overwhelming but I made it. I am a good organizer/planner but when you do not know what to plan or organize it can be frustrating. Lean on your team and dont be afraid to ask questions Good luck!