Now This is Odd ...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Chef Dave, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 14, 2008

A teacher at my school resigned at year's end to leave the classroom and take a job in the private sector. It's now been what ... about two months ... and he just asked administration for his job back.

It turns out that things aren't always peachy in the private sector. I could have told him that since I spent six years in the private sector after I quit my job as an elementary teacher.

His job was just offered to someone else and the building administrator told me that if this other person doesn't take the job, he'll consider other applicants. He'll only take this teacher back if he can't fill the position.

Have any of you ever known a teacher to resign only to realize that he/she made a horrible mistake and would like to come back?

Even if this teacher is allowed to come back, I think things could be a bit awkward for him. This person allegedly told others about how great it'd be to work in the private sector and how much money he'd make etc.

Speaking for myself, I think he came across as arrogant. I wasn't sorry to see him leave because he was clearly only "marking time" until something "better" came along.

I think students ideally deserve teachers with better attitudes. Teaching for me is more than just a job. It's a lifestyle choice.

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

I agree- I'm sure that it would be pretty awkward for that teacher. I'm sure the principal is thinking of "loyalty" of sorts because who knows if this person would be in it for the long haul?? Man that is an odd sit.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

I took this job as a secretary until I could find a job for this fall, and it sucks. I can't wait for my vacation time again. I feel like I'm doing two jobs and getting paid/being given time for only one! I work on my school stuff and read A-Z all day. Can't wait until that's my only job!

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 14, 2008

One of my friends that I met at my old school left b/c he thought he found a better job. At the beginning of last year he kept telling me to talk to the principal and get him his job back!!! I was like...umm...what?!?! Apparently he did "real work" at his new job...and couldn't slack off at the place where we worked together. ha

6. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 14, 2008

Yep ... loyalty is also an issue.

If he came back, would his attitude be any different? Would he be willing to stick it out and dedicate himself to his teaching job or would he use the school to mark time until something "better" came along.

How does the old saying go?

Once burned, twice shy.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Now you got me singing George Michael, Chef Dave!

8. RLucas

RLucas Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

that is funny you posted this because I resigned in May and I am meeting with my principal on Friday to discuss taking my old job again. The difference is I left because the former head of the math department had it in for me and my life a living hell! She would call me not so nice names in front of her class and if she saw students spending time with me she would try to fail them. My principal came after she did and she was tenured so he was somewhat stuck and understood why I had to leave. He is the one that contacted me about meeting because he didn't want me to go.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 14, 2008

My father retired two years ago after almost 35 years in the same high school, the last five years teaching media and running a television show. His replacement is going to be out on maternity leave for the beginning of this upcoming school year.

Is my dad's offer to return and serve as a LTS being considered? Nope. His former district says the contract only allows LTS salary for a minimum of a semester's service. As my father was on the bargaining committee for the most recent contract, he knows this isn't true. They just don't want him to come back. He's accepted this, but he's dreading when parents call him at his home when the television programming the classes manage do not hit the air.

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

OI think I would be too embarrassed to go back to my old school under those circumstances. Someone who started at my school this year used to work there. Then she and her husband moved. THey got a divorce, so she moved back up and got her job back. I think its' fine in her situation, but if I was bragging about leaving and how great it would be I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for my job back.

11. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

I had a teacher last year who said she wasn't coming back. Then, sometime in July she said she hadn't found anything, did I have something part-time for her? She did an awesome job part-time until a full-time teacher left and she stepped into her spot. Now she's one of my best teachers. Sometimes people just have to explore other options to realize how good they have it.

Of course, she didn't talk smack about us...

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

A teacher did this at the HS I graduated from. He was a basketball coach and math teacher. The kids loved him and he loved teaching but his wife kept pressuring him to work for her dad (more $$). He did continue coaching. After 2 years, he came back because he couldn't take the other job anymore and missed teaching. He is a GREAT teacher and they knew the circumstances and hired him back (which he is lucky because jobs in MI are very hard to come by!). He had to be a "mobile" teacher (no classroom- moves from room-to-room with his stuff on a cart).

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 14, 2008

I don't think it's the question of a teacher leaving a position to persue a better teaching option (more pay, closer to home, better fit, etc). It seems the difference is that some people use teaching as something to "fall back on" if their _______(fill in the blank) career doesn't take off. Do those people actually have a passion for teaching? I think that is the reason the pricipal in Dave's school told that teacher to take a hike (well in so many words).

14. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

As with any job, you have to be careful how you leave, if you do. I worked retail along with my teaching job this past year and decided to quit. I didn't give two weeks notice because I couldn't stand working two jobs anymore, plus, they weren't willing to work with my schedule. Anyhow, they tried to convince me not to quit without at least giving two weeks notice, or I would NEVER be able to go back to that company. Unless you KNOW 100% that you'll never need that job again, you should be cautious in your actions when leaving (common sense for most of us).

15. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

A teacher at my school was not hired back after doing a year long interim After a year away, this teacher was hired back. I don't understand it at all!!!

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 14, 2008

And Great White!

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

I know of an exec who did the same thing. And they hired him back. I would not feel comfortable at all. I think when you leave, it should be a clean break.

Also, I don't understand when you sue a place, why the lawyers are determined to tell you to stay there. Do you want to keep/get hired at same job, or go somewhere else? Sheesh, if I had that much trouble, I certainly would not want to stay there!

From that minute on...as everyone says.. all trust is gone. Nobody will like you. And whatever you say or do will be watched and recorded.

It will be downhill from then on out. You will be automatically gone within 6 months. They will make up stuff, and it will look all legit. And you will be so frustrated, and nothing you can do about it.

Crazy mess, I tell you.

Burn bridges.. and keep going. Don't come back unless you need a verification letter. Not to be confused with a reference letter. They don't have to refer you, but they do have to prove you worked there.

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 14, 2008

One of the former teachers I was hired to replace worked for two years, quit, ask to come back, worked a year and quit again. She applied for her old job when I did and the new principal didn't interview her. She was bad mouthing the principal to the other teachers she still hung out with socially. So one asked the principal about it and she told her that she had been given strict orders by the Supt. to not to interview her. He said he was not allowing her name to go to the board because she wasn't a loyal employee. He was told that the first time she quit it was because of her children, but after the drama of the second year...he didn't quite believe it. The funny thing is that we all hang out together (our kids are in the same activities) and the Supt. and her husband are very friendly. She doesn't speak to him.

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

At our school, you'll definitely be "shunned" if you ask for a transfer to another school for whatever reason, and then ask to come back after a few years. There have been a few who left to work closer to home, missed being at our school, but couldn't get back in. The last three principals are/have been very big on "loyalty".

20. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

How many times does she expect them to hire her back. She should take it as a lesson learned and not badmouth anyone for her poor life choices.

21. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

My story is a little different.

This teacher left her school after 3 years-just when she was to be tenured-to pursue nursing. She is a great teacher but insecure with herself. They then figured out that they wouldn't make it financially with just one salary so she went to work for my district with a huge cut in pay. Mid-year she went and spoke to her previous principal to try to get her job (or any other) for the '08-'09 year. By this time she was pregnant and the team didn't hire her. Then she interviewed at another district but the teacher who was leaving ended up not leaving for whatever reason. Now she's still in my district on maternity leave, working on her masters, and still looking for other positions (!):confused:

22. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2008

Sounds like he should have told the wife to get a better-paying job (if she works) or leave :)

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

She works for her dad already. She wanted him to, too. She comes from a lot of money and was always a bit uppity.
    I wonder if they are still married... I was sort of friends with her in HS (he was a few years older). We had a child care class together where we ran a preschool. There are only 10 HS students in the class and you have 3 hours of it, so you become close.

24. RLucas

RLucas Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I don't believe that I will be shunned when I go back to my old position. My principal did not want me to leave but could not get rid of her (no one in the district would take her because of her mouth) I never bad mouth our admin and was really sad to leave but I could not work with her anymore. Even in my exit interview my principal kept saying I had 39 months to change my mind! When I resigned I stated we were moving out of the district and still did not bad mouth her because I did not want my principal to look bad to the district. Her resignation goes before the board tonight and he emailed then called me to meet after it is official. So I guess my situation is different.

25. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I know someone who totally talked trash about the school that they left- they moved & ended up coming back here ---> they tried to butter their ex principal up and thought they were a shoe in for a job. They weren't & had to start the year subbing. Ended up taking a position too, but it wasn't what they wanted.

I try not to burn any bridges... you never know when you will need them ;)

26. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 16, 2008

I read in the paper this weekend that Bret Favre pulled this exact same stunt with the Greenbay Packers. He waffled about staying for a couple of seasons, announced his retirement a couple of months back, and now is asking the Packers to release him from his contract so he can go play for another team! So much for retirement (and loyalty!) The Packers wont release him, so he asks if he can come back and play for them. They told Bret he could return, but they have already named someone else as starting qb. From what I understand Favre is at the bottom of the totem pole again, just a glorified holder for field goals or something. I don't what he has decided (or if) to do.

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2008

yeah, life is not good for wafflers.

the grass is not greener on the otherside..

unless you water it!

I can kinda relate. I think for more reasons than I realize, I too am hesitant, nervous, jump ship when the first wave comes, and always looking for something better. Lack of stability in a job, home and relationships does not look good, and makes you cautious. It also makes every one else leery of you.

Why do you have gaps in your employment?
    Why did you move from here to there?

What I want to know is, "Why do you need to know??"

As if I will tell you I was divorced _ times.

Is one related to the other? Before OJ and stalking laws were created, you just had to sit there and wait for crazy rejected lover to show up.

Even the military isn't safe. Poor girl was killed by army husband.

let me get some breakfast... I am going way off into the deep end..

28. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2008

Yeah, your situation is different. It sounds like the principal would have chosen you over her if he could. Everyone reaches a breaking point and I don't blame you for leaving if it means you have to be miserable.

29. slinkytoy

slinkytoy Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

One of my friends quit at the end of the year- about four years ago. She had a job as a salesperson. By July, she knew she had made a mistake. She mentioned it to her principal's wife; the principal called her at the end of July and offered her her old job back. She gladly accepted. She had to take some teasing about her return, but she handled it well and admitted that she made a huge mistake. It was a good lesson for her, but all the rest of us learned from it too.