Now that I've been re-hired......

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, May 31, 2014.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 31, 2014

I will have a full summer to get ready for a new year of teaching...... If anyone remembers from my much earlier postings, I had been hired in late July and really only had a week to prepare my classroom. So I basically bare-walled the room, papered the doors and bulletin boards. and winged it for a year. Now that I have much more time, I would rather spend my time making Powerpoint lessons for ALL my chapters for each class BEFORE doing anything to my room. What made me decide this was classroom mgmt. being much better with pre-written stuff on the Smartboard. However, if I do ALL my lessons this way, my kids will be bored in less than a month!! Any advice for 2nd year teachers? :D

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 31, 2014

You're in high school, right? HS students don't need anything on the wall. Concentrate on your content and lessons.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 31, 2014

adding, I don't think your students will necessarily get bored if all of your chapters are on powerpoint. My chapters are and my students don't seem any less engaged than other core classes (students tend to love electives more, lol). There is something to be said about having a familiar, predictable day/week for the students.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 31, 2014

Middle school math is what I teach.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 31, 2014

All your Powerpoints don't have to be formatted the same. I would caution though against doing all of them for the year. You are getting a brand new group of kids. They will not need things done the same way this years group does. You will have to differentiate your content for a group of learners you know nothing about yet.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 31, 2014

I teach sophomores and seniors. They love my decorated room. I have a mix of aids and things like college pennants. I have borders too.

The older kids do appreciate high school level materials.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 31, 2014

The kids won't be bored just because everything is on a Powerpoint. All my lessons are on a Powerpoint, including the warm up. On a rare occasion when I don't use it (we do grammar, and have it all printed, etc) they equate it being an easy day with not a lot of work to be done (which is not true). This just shows that they like and are used to the consistency.
    You can format your powerpoints differently, you can also use Prezis or other presentation software, and you can also use your docucam and write things on the desk. This will still help with classroom management because you're not turning your back on them.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 31, 2014

A powerpoint is a powerpoint is a powerpoint. The point isn't to engage them with a powerpoint. We're way past the point of wowing them with such simple technology. What it is good for as you said, is it's a good way to organize your direct instruction material. I give notes that students have to take on my powerpoints. However I wouldn't be able to do a powerpoint daily.

If I introduce a concept via powerpoint, we will take that concept and play with it in a lab or a project, or both. For math it could be practice, or some kind of application project.

As 2nd said, it's good to have a routine. If I do a powerpoint, it's only 5-10 minutes long. Then we do some kind of practice to prove that we've learned the concept, and then start on the homework. The next day is usually a lab which could be a physical or computer based one. The day after we have a lab rehash, usually a quiz, and then a review or enrichment depending on how they did on the quiz. If it fits, I might show a video. When all is said and done, it's another 2 or 3 days until the next powerpoint lesson.

Figure out how you want to structure your teaching of objectives. i.e. how do you introduce them to the objective, how do you teach it directly, how do you allow them to play with the concepts they've learned, how do you check they've learned them, and then how do you review if necessary for those that need it. If you do all of this, you and they won't have time to be bored.

10. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 1, 2014

interesting. i guess with 90 minute classes we do it differently. i normally have 20-30 min lecture and 50 min hands on or labs with 10 minute clean up/ reflection

for the walls I had student projects that included posters that we could hang up. also you can have a wall of Fame with examples of good student work, 100 on test, etc.

our school is all about word walls: vocabulary that is interactive.

i would suggest making those if you have time over the summary

i put in my powerpoints breaks when i get the students up and active before going back to notes. there are lots of formative things:

Think-pair-share

is one that is easy to incorporate.

11. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jun 1, 2014

I don't think having your chapters organized in powerpoints is a bad idea. I have most of my units in a combination of smartboard and powerpoint presentations. They are a timesaver for sure.
    What I have discovered is that sometimes I don't always need to show them to the class. There are times when they are on the laptop only and used to guide discussions. I will put key points on the board. My physics classes preferred this.

12. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 1, 2014

You can leave the walls mostly bare and fill them with kids' work/projects throughout the year.

13. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Jun 1, 2014

I think this is a good idea if you're not really the decorator type. Even middle and high schoolers still love seeing their work hung up.

Congratulations on being rehired, Pi-R-Squared. I don't post on here much, but I do read quite a bit, and you seem like you really care for those kids. I'm not a mother, but if I were, I would love for my child to have a teacher like you. :)

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2014

Me too. Warm up, Notes/Lesson, Homework and any Announcements are on my PPT and I use it everyday. I also use other sources of media, but the PPT is key for me.

15. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 2, 2014

That's a wonderful compliment and thanks for saying this. I really do care for my school kids...... and I hope they notice...:D

16. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jun 2, 2014

I am the same way. I really want to focus on my getting my PowerPoints and labs done. As it stands right now, I won't actually start until 8/1 (which is 10 days before schools starts) because I need the money from my current job. The school is completely revamping the lab (which will be my classroom) so I am sure my walls will be bare. I hope by the end of the first semester I can have several lab safety posters/periodic tables up to help combat that!

17. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 2, 2014

SB interactives

Since you mentioned a SMARTboard, I would actually suggest that you spend time making interactive practice-type activities. There are a lot of tools built in to Notebook that you can use to have students manipulate things and reinforce what's in your lecture. My fellow biology teacher colleague and I revamped our notes presentations a few years back when we got new SMARTboards and converted everything from Powerpoint into Notebook, but that's not really necessary, especially if you forsee yourself moving to another school that may not have the SMARTboard. You can always keep the notes in Powerpoint and just interject some Notebook activities here and there.

It has helped me SO MUCH to have short 5-10 minute interactives on the SB. I pull them out if I finish early or have a review going on and some students need to practice at the board. They like the vocabulary games and category sorts, and I also find the "checker" tool to be great for instant feedback. This year I actually made a "master file" for every single interactive slide that I used in the notes presentations for the whole semester. It was a great tool to pull out at the end when they were all studying for exams.

If you have the student response devices that go with the board, I highly recommend using them as well. They are fabulous for practice and formative assessment after a lecture.