Now that I have my e-reader: I'm looking for book suggestions?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2011

Now that I have my e-reader: I'm looking for book suggestions

I just downloaded Alice in Wonderland :)

Right now, I'm looking for free books as I pretty much spent my fun allowance to buy this Nook for the month.

Also, I joined some of those website where you can download free books. How do I get them onto my Nook?

So, any good free books you would recommend?

Edit: Moderator, can one of you guys get rid of the question mark in the title of my thread. For some reason, I don't have that ability to edit my titles like other people on this forum. Thanks! :)

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 10, 2011

Peachy, look for anything that is ePub format. That's the one the Nook uses. You'll have to "sideload" it to your Nook with a digital reader if you don't use the Barnes and Noble site. Adobe Digital Editions is available for free, as are many others, but many people use ADE because they are familiar with Adobe products.

One you get your digital reader installed on your computer, you'll download your book in ePub format to it. Plug your Nook in to your computer and you'll see it appear in the side window of ADE (like when you put your iPod in your computer while running iTunes.) Just drag the book to the Nook icon.

Which Nook do you have? The older editions have to put the ePub book in the "my documents" folder of the Nook. I don't know what the new editions are like, but I'm sure it's similar in principal.

The key is the ePub format!

If you purchase from BN, you don't have to do a single thing but make sure you are connected to a wireless network. If you are, the books will download immediately for you. :)

Are you on Facebook? Make sure you "like" the Cheap e-Reads page. It's fabulous!

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2011

5. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

www.smashwords.com

You can sort by free books, length, ratings, etc. There are several great novels that I have read on this site. Many are self-published, so you will see typos or mistakes. I think it's fun to find them, I don't usually find it distracting. Also you can go to Barnes & Noble's book clubs community site, they have a NookBook board.

The Nook is addicting! I have a hard time putting it down on the weekend and during the summer! :)

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2011

You can hook up to many public libraries and download a wide variety of books for free with the Nook. Check it out. My daughters (ages 10 and 12) have Nooks and are huge readers - they each read a book a day or so all summer long. We'd be broke if we didn't use the library!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2011

Thanks guys! :)

I have the newest Nook version.

I've already downloaded a few books throgh B and N. Very easy to do! :)

My main question for this thread is do you guys have any good book suggestions. The books I read are mainly books that people have read and gave to me. So, I typically get books based on other peoples recommendation.

:)

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2011

Well, this summer, I've read (and liked):
    Room
    Ape House (Sara Gruen)
    a bunch of easy, chick-lit stuff by Claire Cook. She wrote Must Love Dogs. She's really funny. The best ones I read by her this summer are Wildwater Walking Club, Seven Year Switch, Best Staged Plans
    Girl in Translation
    Sisterhood Everlasting (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, 10 years later...it's dark in the beginning, worth it in the end)
    And I just started the 1st one inthe Hunger Games, based on a rec from my 12 year old!

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2011

Downloading ADE as we speak.

Thanks Kim! :)

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2011

Heh, you don't find the typos annoying! I found a couple in the Alice in Wonderland and it started to drive me crazy! :rolleyes: