Now I'm so confused...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lovetoteachkids, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I was called back to the school I interviewed at yesterday where there are 3 positions open, for an "informal interview". I just got back and now I just feel confused. He took me on a tour of the school and told me that he just needed to call some people back in today because he interviewed 7 people yesterday back to back and he wants to get his decision straightened out. So out of those 7 he called back 5. He proceeded to show me the classrooms of where I might be and other parts of the school. Then we stopped in the library and sat down and he asked me about 3 questions to which he jotted down answers for. They were about parent communication, behavior management, and my background. Then we ended up at his office and he said now he will recommend 3 people to HR and I will either get a call or a rejection letter. He thanked me for coming and said good luck. What the heck am I supposed to think now? Oh, and during the tour he had mentioned about some people getting rejection letters and how he had a pile at home because of all the jobs he's applied to in the past 20 years. Now I feel like maybe he was telling me that so I don't feel bad if I get one. I am SO confused. I really want this job and of all the interviews I've had it's my first choice.

3. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Follow up! Send thank you email and back it up with a card TODAY. Maybe he said all those things to see what your stress level is.

4. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Thank you, that's just the jolt I needed. I just sent him a thank you e-mail and I am going out to get some cards and pop one in the mail as well. That's why I love this board...it's easy to get caught up in your feelings and forget what else you can do!

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2007

Look at the bright side. Your odds for getting the job just went up since he already eliminated two people. Maybe he was just making a bad attempt at conversation when he was talking about the rejection letters.

6. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

My husband said the same thing, that he was just making conversation. I tend to over-analyze things way too much, but it's hard not to I guess.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

I'm guessing he wouldn't have wasted his own time if you didn't have a shot at being recommended.

8. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I hope so too!

9. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I've had principals tell me about them being rejected for jobs too. Don't take it personal. I think sometimes they understand what we go thru and want us to know that we aren't the only ones who struggle with getting jobs. Keep your chin up! Good luck!

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

Keep your chin up...I've had those same conversations with principals who hired me! Good luck! (and I agree with the others...you do have a pretty good shot!)

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

I remember applying to this one school where the principal also took us on a tour and even out to lunch! I was so positive that I got a job. Hmph. I didn't. They ended up not needing elementary teachers. They needed middle school. Oh well. I ended up being hired somewhere else anyways.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

I hope you got the job. But this part of seems kind of weird to me.

Oh, and during the tour he had mentioned about some people getting rejection letters and how he had a pile at home because of all the jobs he's applied to in the past 20 years.

Why did he keep the letters? If I get a rejection letter it goes into the trash can right after I open it. Why in the world would any one save them?

13. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

I thought the same thing. I think he was trying to say that he looks at those rejections as a stepping stone to future opportunities...either way it took me off guard!

14. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

UPDATE

You guys have all made me feel a lot better about this. I'm pretty sure I'll know by Fri either way. He didn't give a date but I've interviewed for other positions in this district and they are rapidly filling them....got one rejection letter today. I'm going to be so scared to get the mail in the next few days though.

On the brighter side...I had an interview this morning in a totally different district. They were so impressed with me and asked if I had other interviews in and told me to let them know before I accept any other offers. The asst. principal walked me out. Turns out he is the husband of the superintendent in the district I'm waiting to hear from on those math positions. He said I am an excellent candidate for his district and definately one of the top two. He also said he'd get my name out there for the other district as well. ::::::::::::::::::::::::::crossing fingers::::::::::::::::::: If I didn't get that job, I certainly was lucky enough to meet a wonderful contact for myself!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

If they both come in on the same day, which would you choose?

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

Thats definitely a wonderful contact! Good luck...my fingers are crossed for you!!!!!!!!

17. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

I would definately choose the first one I interviewed with where they had 3 math positions. It's 20 min from my house and they pay more and you don't pay for any benefits. It's my home district.

As for the district today ...I feel that I really "jived" with the administrators. It's for a 5-7th grade building....6th grade science/social studies position. But I'd have the option to teach math in the future. It's 45 min from my house but it's a job. Even though it's a commute I think if you're happy with the people you're working with and it's the grade level you want, then it's worth the extra 20 min drive each way.

If an offer comes from any one of these I'd be on cloud 9 but I do prefer my home district for convenience sake.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

That makes sense ( and I, of course,would love to see another math teacher here)

Just so you've thought it out.

19. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

Absolutely! I am praying so hard that it works out!

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

I currently make a 45 minute drive and it really isn't that bad b/c I do love the people I work with! Although I'd take a 20 min drive anyday! Good luck!!!!!!!! :)