November activities

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by sjgriffith, Nov 3, 2010.

1. sjgriffith

sjgriffith New Member

Nov 3, 2010

Hi! I am a new kindergarten teacher. Thus far, I feel a tad bit lost and overwhelmed. Can you make some suggestions for Novemeber activities that deal with squirrels, Thanksgiving, Squanto, and fall. Also, what kinds of things are helping for teaching/practicing patterns? Thank you in advance!!

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 5, 2010

My student teacher is doing a lesson on "What we are thankful for." The will draw/write on a turkey, decorate it and we will make it a bulletin board.
    We read stories about the 1st Thanksgiving and compare/contrast to the present day Thanksgiving.
    We will have our Thanksgiving feast and make Native American headpieces and pilgrim hats.
    We will make a graph on our favorite food at Thanksgiving.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2010

I'm doing a unit on The Little Red Hen, since there is much talk about food, helping others and baking in the story. We're baking bread one day, art with painting the little red hen, etc.
    I'm touching on Native American Art, staying away from the "Indian head dress," as I've learned that this item is very sacred to their culture and it's offensive when we make the paper ones with the kids. We'll focus on being thankful and finding favorite foods, charting, etc.

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Nov 6, 2010

We do a writing lesson on what they are thankful for and another about their family. We read several books about family and learn the words for different family members.

We just finished a fall unit that focused on living vs. nonliving things and we sorted them. We also played charaides with different things you do in the fall to practice using -ing correctly.

6. sjgriffith

sjgriffith New Member

Nov 6, 2010

Thank you guys so much for your ideas!

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 7, 2010

After reading A Turkey for Thanksgiving - we make Protest Turkeys - they are VERY cute and everyone always comments on them. Each child colors and cuts out a large turkey (kind of cartoony) and then has a little sign that says 'Eat ______' - the child writes another food in the blank. It's quick, simple, and fun!

8. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Nov 8, 2010

Is there a Thanksgiving book where the turkeys actually do protest with signs?

We did a class book "Giving Thanks" today. They each wrote and illustrated one page of something they are thankful for....There is a book, "Feeling Thankful" that really helped give them some cute ideas.
    We have a turkey shape book at the writing center for their Word Wall words. I have a "Roll and Color" turkey at the math center.
    At the easel, a step by step illustration of how to draw a turkey...

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 8, 2010

Love this idea, we will be doing it this week!