November 4th

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by corps2005, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 9, 2008

I've never had to stand in line more than 30 minutes, and that was the year that they had changed to the computerized voting machines and so many people had trouble using them.

Our polls open at 6:00, and I stop in before I go to work. Most of the time we're off on election days anyway.

2. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 9, 2008

I guess I'll probably take the Monday before it off, get up at 4:30 or 5 and head up there. Lines are ridiculous here. Today I had to simply renew my driver's license, nothing more, and I waited over 1.5 hours. I went after I got off of work at 3. I wasn't really anticipating a line at the DMV. How silly of me. P.S. I never wait in lines for Xmas shopping :p I always buy in advance or get a giftcard while I'm in the grocery store. Or I might just wait in line after work and take the next day off instead. That way, if the lines are as short as everyone says they are, I can always cancel my sub. :p

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 9, 2008

I'm in Fulton County...polling place is in Alpharetta...UGH! I am trying to go vote early...but not sure if I can get off in time to go...co-worker went and said she just walked right up and voted. Maybe I'll have the same luck.

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2008

My wife and I will vote for Palin-McCain by mail.... no waiting time required.......:):)

5. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 9, 2008

Scienceteacher,

It didn't take long here on Tuesday either. They said Monday (the registration deadline was a madhouse though). I highly recommend the early voting after having gone through both types.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2008

I'm going tomorrow to vote early. A co-worker said there were long lines and it took her husband quite a while in our county. (over an hour) Hopefully it was just a fluke on that day. I want an in-and-out deal.

7. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 10, 2008

I'm going to wait until next week and check my status online again. Hopefully, they'll have me in the system by then. The lady at the library said they might not have me in there until Nov. 4 :(

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 10, 2008

Just remember, all of us, that if we don't vote, we forfeit all whining rights for four years.

As for me, when I consider what my "foremothers" had to go through to get the right to vote for me, I would be ashamed not to vote just because the line was long, or I was tired. I think voting is far more important than many people think, and no matter how I feel that day, I'll drag myself to the polls and do it.

Have we forgotten that women went to PRISON and were beaten and even tortured, for trying to vote and for assembling to try and get the right to vote? No, being tired, or seeing a long line, or bad weather, or whatever. . . I will be there to vote.

9. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 10, 2008

How long did it take today shouldbeasleep?

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 11, 2008

I'm an election judge in a well populated area, and in my precinct, if you come after 5, you're going to be waiting at least an hour to vote!

Like the others said, I would try to vote early. To the OP, when you registered, did you do it in person at the DMV or by mail? If you did it by mail, at least here in Texas, you would need to show some additional ID on election day. I don't know about your naturalization certificate. If that *is* an issue, they'll resolve it before you actually go to the polls. The poll workers and election judges wouldn't have the authority to verify that (again, at least not here in Texas.)

For everyone, absentee voting is a GREAT solution to standing in the lines. Do it if you can!

11. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 11, 2008

I went to the public library and the lady there had me fill out the paperwork. She said they take care of it. I had my naturalization certificate with me and wanted her to make a copy and mail it in with it, but she said I didn't need it. I just don't trust these things though.

12. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 11, 2008

Well said, Mamacita!

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2008

:happybday: corps!!

14. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 11, 2008

We also have an inservice that day & I live about 30 miles from work so I am voting absentee. :D Less stressful that way! ;)