Novels to Share with 2nd Graders

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by bam451, Jul 23, 2005.

1. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 23, 2005

Hi! I have been teaching 2nd grade for the past three years. I am looking to move enhance my shared reading by reading more novels to my students and doing activities to go along with them. Are there any novels that you can recommend for their age group?

Thanks!

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 23, 2005

During my internship, I read Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater to second graders, and they really enjoyed it. It is an excellent book to read during a Polar Regions unit. It is also a Newbery book!

Beverly Cleary books are also excellent to introduce in second or third grade. Perhaps begin with Ramona Quimby, Age 8 if you want to introduce a Beverly Cleary book to your students.

Sideways Stories From Wayside School is a very humorous book that I know a few students from my internship class enjoyed reading.

This story was in the reading series book, but Jalapeno Bagels was a short story that the children just adored. It brings in multiculturalism. However, it is not a novel. :)

4. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 23, 2005

I did my student teaching in a 2/3 split class. They loved Sideways Stories From Wayside School. I would also recommend the first Boxcar children book.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2005

Have you done The Magic Treehouse stories by Mary Pope Osbourne(SP? ) Those are great stories that really teach in a historical or interesting way. I think you could find lots of activities to do with these stories. I don't know if those classify as novels, but there are a lot of them in the series......I know lots of kids who love those stories!

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 24, 2005

My 2nds also loved "Help, I'm a Prisoner in the LIbrary" and the Polk Street School series... the first is a great read-along in the winter months! The second, we used as novels for novel studies.

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 24, 2005

The Mr. Popper's Penguins book is excellent, as now there is a movie called "The March of the Penguins" which is a documentary about the Emperor Penguins, and some of your class may have seen the movie. If you do this book later in the year, by that time that movie may be out on video!