Novels or No Novels???

Discussion in 'High School' started by mizpruett, May 29, 2017.

1. mizpruett

mizpruett New Member

May 29, 2017

I'm wondering how others are working in novels in their English classes. I teach English I (9th grade) and my district provides SpringBoard workbooks written by the National Board. The district encourages us to us SpringBoard and to teach with excerpts. We are discouraged from reading whole novels. I like doing whole novels, but was wanting others' input.

Do you teach whole novel? How do you incorporate the novel? What novels do you read?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 29, 2017

Oh, how awful. I hate the use of excerpts. My tutoring students read novels independently and then work on projects related to their chosen books. In the classroom, I taught elementary, so that won't help you too much. i assigned home reading and then read aloud those same chapters prior to discussion and reading journals.

4. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

May 29, 2017

In 9th grade the only full novel I taught was To Kill a Mockingbird. We also did all of Romeo and Juliet. Otherwise, it was all short stories and poems from the literature textbook.
    I moved to 10th grade last year, and taught out of a horrid Common Core Coach book that I felt obligated to use since I was the one who convinced the P to purchase it to help improve EOC scores. I. Hate. It. And since I hate it, the kids hate it.
    Next year those terrible things are going to the book room and I'm teaching Elie Wiesel's Night, Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart, and Shakespeare's Julius Caesar in their entirety with connected readings (informational and poetry), a lot of meaningful writing assignments, and some vocab and grammar on the side.
    I know the stupid test has lots of excerpts on it, but I can't go through another minute of the misery I've endured over the past two years. The standards are met with the full texts, and I believe a happy teacher has happy students who do better on tests. :)

Obadiah likes this.
  5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 29, 2017

Don't be afraid to consult No Fear, Shakespeare. It can really help the kids compare modern language to Shakespearean language.

Caesar753 likes this.
  6. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Jun 10, 2017

What do you dislike about Springboard? I have a colleague who used it in her last school and loved it and wants us to adopt it.

I do two full-length works and the rest are short stories, articles, excerpts, and poems. I teach on semester-long block scheduling, FWIW. In 9th grade we do Romeo and Juliet and To Kill a Mockingbird. 10th is Night and Julius Caesar. 11th is Great Gatsby and the Crucible. 12th is Macbeth and excerpts including Beowulf and Canterbury Tales.

7. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jun 12, 2017

We read a ton of poetry and short stories. But we also do "major" works each year.
    9th: Romeo and Juliet and Lord of the Flies
    10th: Julius Caesar and To Kill a Mockingbird
    11th: Great Gatsby, Night, and The Crucible
    12th: Animal Farm and Macbeth

I also teach AP Lit and not doing "major" works can really hurt the kids who take the AP Lit test as the third essay is an open prompt where they have to draw on their previous readings. I teach Frankenstein* to the AP kids because I swear it can be used for almost any open prompt. But it's nice to have a deep well to draw from.

Obadiah and Caesar753 like this.
  8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2017

I think that it's important for students to build up their literacy stamina, which can't be done by reading excerpts alone.

Bioguru, DAH, Obadiah and 1 other person like this.
  9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2017

It always seems to come back around to the middle of the pendulum being the best: not black, not white, but a mix of the two :)

10. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jun 12, 2017

A friend of mine piloted Springboard with her 8th graders. The program itself is respectably rigorous for college/AP preparation; her problem was that it was inaccessible to well over half of her students. The kids hated it, not that that says much. She still did a few novels with Springboard.

Maybe it's just my state, but I did quite a few full works in HS, and so did my college friends from other schools. For me, I can remember doing R&J, The Glass Menagerie, TKAM, Walden, Animal Farm, Of Mice and Men, Huck Finn, When the Emperor was Divine, A Raisin in the Sun, and Pygmalion during freshman and sophomore years.
    Junior and senior years were Beowulf, the "clean" parts of Canterbury Tales, Gatsby, The Catcher in the Rye, Hamlet, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, most of Faerie Queen, Paradise Lost, Tale of Two Cities, The Secret Life of Bees, A Separate Peace, The Rape of the Lock, and a Victorian/Gothic novel of our choice.

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2017

Our district piloted this year. We were presented with three options. Springboard was rejected immediately because of the lack of full-length works.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 13, 2017

There are so many things you can do to extend your novel study that it would be hard for me to give up. I'm only tutoring now, but one of my students has had quite a few assignments based on her current novel, Stargirl. Today she started writing a script for a documentary on a social justice issue of her choice. She will 'interview' a character for it. She also wrote a letter to an editor on a social justice topic from her character. So much fun!

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 13, 2017

Are the excerpts all centered around a theme or genre? Could you incorporate literature circles around the same theme, but use the excerpts for teaching specific reading strategies? Sorry, I am not familiar with the resource you are talking about - something like that would never fly here. I am so thankful for our professional autonomy.

Is there time for independent reading every day so students at least have time to read self-selected novels? Maybe they could compare/contrast their self-selected novels with the excerpts?

14. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jun 15, 2017

I'm elementary, but I'd like to add my 2 cents to this discussion. I remember reading assigned novels in high school and I feel they enriched my education tremendously. A good book always fortifies the reader in many ways, but most importantly the student's brain expands its depth of knowledge, understanding, and wisdom. An excerpt can't accomplish as much as the entire work is capable of. The author didn't just write an excerpt and hope it sufficed. The author wrote with a mission and a passion to pass on her/his thoughts to the reader.

I recall some favorites, Lord of the Flies, The Outsiders (which I had already read prior to the assignment along with other Sally Hinton books), and The Hiding Place (an autobiography rather than a novel). As a class we read Romeo and Juliet; I recall wishing it had a happier ending. As a student, I didn't care much for The Scarlet Letter; I'd never admit it to my peers, but I thought it was too scary. I appreciate the introduction to various literary forms, ideas, and content that only an assigned novel could have provided.

15. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2017

I don't think it is appropriate to have one at the exclusion of the other. Both provide benefits. Excerpts allow focused practice of skills much like a sports team will practice distinct skills before being put in the game. It also allows demonstration of the standard across a wider variety of writings. So, instead of seeing how this skill comes up in just one or two circumstances, a student can see it across genres and across the style of different authors.

Novels show the process from beginning to end and how all of the pieces fit together. It is the game.

Although teaching the 7 different types of stories is important, and learning to love reading is a hope, are we really teaching novels or are we teaching skills so the students can use those on any written work?

Obadiah and MissScrimmage like this.
  16. nerdyinglasses

nerdyinglasses New Member

Jul 4, 2017

I do think that novels are very important. Whatever you may think, expect reading in the class, I give extra bonuses for reading at home or in the free time.

17. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 30, 2017

Springboard needs to be pulped. I seriously hate it. I just loved "Purple Hibiscus" and cannot recommend it highly enough.