Novels for Literature Circles

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Lifecoach, Aug 15, 2007.

1. cair

cair Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

Having jobs for the kids is very worthwhile for they need to be responsible. Do you use reader's journal?... This too is great..
    cair

2. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Jul 3, 2008

For a reader's journal, I used a folder for each student with reading logs stapled into it. They summarized what they read each day and gave their reaction to it as well. They also could staple other activities into the folder, so I could grade the folders weekly instead of collect so many separate papers. It worked out nicely since I have over 100 students.

3. cair

cair Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I like your idea of your folder for each child... this way everything is in "1" place...logs.. activity sheet, etc.
    Thanks for the idea. I plan on using this. I have 125 students so I need to be very organized..... kids, also!!!
    cair

4. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Jul 7, 2008

Thanks, Cair. I didn't have enough file folders for all the students, so I folded a long piece of construction paper in half and had them create a cover on the first day of a new novel. Glad the idea helps you. I am enjoying this website very much.

5. KWLme

KWLme Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I love using Jerry Spinelli at this age. We read "Eggs," but I agree with you about his books being quite deep. The students really have to be guided through his writing, so if you use Spinelli's work for literature circles the student's might not be able to discuss as indepentendly as with another author's works. Last year for our final book we read "Throwing Shadows" by E.L. Konisburg. Its five short stories. The kids loved it, and we had many lively discussions. The stories have interwoven themes, and once prompted, the students were able to make the connections.

6. KWLme

KWLme Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

Do you think it might be "Surviving the Applewhites?" I'm not sure of the author, but my daughter read this in 6th.

7. mo60

mo60 New Member

Aug 1, 2008

Lit Circles

Could someone pm me "rules and regulations" for setting up lit circles, as well as the books you use.

I have Hatchet, The View from Saturday, The Cay, and a few others in my closet. They were used by the person who had my room last year. I am not sure if the students will like them. Thanks.

8. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Aug 2, 2008

Try this web-site: http://litsite.alaska.edu/workbooks/circlereading.html

Don't limit the students to those books. The rule in my class was- if the students could find enough copies they could read almost any book they desired based on genre. Of course they had to get teacher approval.

9. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

Anne Frank

10. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

mo60,
    Those are great books. If you're just beginning, it can be beneficial to have the whole class do the same book at first. Most kids like The Cay a lot. Hatchet is also a favorite. Good luck! Have fun.

11. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Or, you can have half the class reading The Cay and the other half reading Hatchet, their choice. These two books have similar "survival" themes.

12. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

And then follow up with brainstorming to complete a Venn Diagram(I love Venn Diagrams.:love:)

13. Lifecoach

Lifecoach Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Wow! I haven't visited this thread in a while! Thank you, everyone, for your fantastic ideas! This year, I'll be teaching 6th gr. ELA and SS, so I'll definitely be back in this thread to use some ideas once I get a list of what novels we'll be reading this year. Thanks again :)!