Novels for Literature Circles

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Lifecoach, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Lifecoach

Lifecoach Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Hello everyone! I'm in the midst of planning the ELA component of my Humanities class and I'm looking for some good novel recommendations. Last year, I tried using literature circles for the first time and my students really liked it (we started with the novel "Bud, Not Buddy" by Christopher Paul Curtis). In your opinion, what novels lend themselves toward literature circles for 6th graders?

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 15, 2007

The Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick.
    Freak the Mighty.

4. Lifecoach

Lifecoach Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions thus far, BR.

5. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Aug 16, 2007

When I student taught in 6th grade we read Maniac Magee... The kids really loved it!!!

6. Lifecoach

Lifecoach Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Great ideas! When I had 8th graders for Sustained Silent Reading, the students really liked listening to The City of Ember. Thanks so much for the suggestion, Ms Teacher!

7. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

Island of the Blue Dolphins

8. Mishmosh

Mishmosh Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

The kids love Maniac Magee, as someone mentioned, but I think it's a little too deep for literature circles. The kids miss a lot of the nuances and meaning. I like using Bridge to Terabithia, b/c it's just a straightforward story that the kids like and don't need too much guidance with.

9. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Aug 17, 2007

Maniac Magee is a book with many underlying themes, such as racial separation and racism. It is deep and we did discuss it. This is one of the reasons why I LOVE the older grades, we can have many in-depth, informative, discussions. We were able to have a lesson centered around the discussion of Hurricane Katrina and even a few socratic seminars (although this is off the topic of literature circles... :cool:)

10. Charger

Charger Companion

Aug 18, 2007

The lang arts teacher in my school uses The Great Gilly Hopkins and Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry with the sixth graders.

11. Lifecoach

Lifecoach Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Thank you again, everyone, for the suggestions. I really like the plot of Maniac Magee and I'm familiar with Roll of Thunder, Here My Cry because the 7th grade Humanities teacher used it with his class last year. I'm also thinking about using Virginia Hamilton's M.C. Higgins the Great, although that may be too simplistic for a 6th grader. In any case, please keep the suggestions coming! :)

12. Nick_A

Nick_A Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I used Where the Red Fern Grows and The Westing Game in my class. The kids loved both books. We had lots of tears (and GREAT discussions) at the end of Red Fern.

13. imalith

imalith Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

lit circle books

City of Ember
    Tale of Desperaux (easier and good for lower readers)
    There is a Girl in my Hammerlock
    Freak the Mighty
    Brian's Winter
    Lily's Crossing
    The Applegates (?)

I have more, but I can't think of them! I know I use another adventure book with an author from Montana, North...something. It is really good about two boys trapped in the Canadian wilderness when their waterplane and pilot gets swept over a waterfall. One boy's uncle is there too, but he doesn't speak English. Anyone know the title?

14. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Hi, how do you begin a lit. circle. My second year and I will like to add that to my teaching this school year. Can someone tell me exactly how this is carried out. Thanks.

15. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

My sixth graders have really enjoyed Holes, Among the Hidden series, Spirit Bear, Stargirl, and Thief Lord. Hope that helps.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 21, 2007

I am trying to implement lit circles also-I have used informal groups before, but I don't feel like I have to the full extent that I could. I am team teaching reading with the Title teacher this year (yikes-I am feeling a bit intimidated by that) and I really want to do a good job. My main concerns are:

planning-if I have 3-4 different groups going, what is the best way to continually have activities for each group to do?

materials-I am a bit limited in the books I have to choose from. Is it hard to keep groups going with novels, all in different spots? Is it better to choose short leveled readers, and if so, how many times should it be read?

responsibilities-I have talked with the Title teacher briefly, but I really don't want to seem like a rookie! This is my third year, but my last two classes have been high enough that I did not receive any services.

management and accountability-where do I start?????!!!

I have been researching online and I have a few ideas, but any recommendations you all have here would be greatly helpful!

Thanks,
    kcjo