novel

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by tinadog, Feb 26, 2008.

1. tinadog

tinadog Rookie

Feb 26, 2008

Has anyone had their class read My Brother Sam is Dead? I guess what I want to know is: did it keep their interest and was it too depressing for a fifth grader - could they relate to it. Thank you.

3. 5Newbie

5Newbie New Member

Mar 1, 2008

I am almost finished with MBDID with my class. We started reading it to go along with the Rev. war for SS. The kids loved it! I also got the Literature Guide book to go along with it for activities, quizzes and tests.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 1, 2008

I have read MBSID aloud in the past, but I've never considered it's reading level for 5th grade. There is some minor swearing in the first couple chapters, and I usually have to stop and explain some of the events that take place in the novel.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2008

Both of my sons read this novel in middle school...not sure which grade, could be 5th...

6. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Mar 2, 2008

I've done it the last two years and both classes absolutely loved it. I use it right at the beginning of the rev. war unit and it does require a lot of discussion initially, but really helps them understand different perspectives in the war. I highly recommend it.