Novel Study

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by just-n-educator, Apr 16, 2009.

1. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Apr 16, 2009

Hello All,

I looking for a novel to do with my 3rd graders. I have never done grade 3 before, so I am not sure which novel would be good for my grade. Could I get some ideas PLEASE?

3. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2009

Jeannie and I have done the Ramona series, and we're currently in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

4. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Apr 18, 2009

The Chocolate Touch is great. I just finished this unit in my classroom. The students really enjoy the story and seems to keep their interest even at the end of the year. I also like the fact that you can incorporate the novel unit in reading, math, writing and science.

5. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 18, 2009

The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl might be a good choice for your first try at this. It's short and entertaining, and if your students have any prior experiences with Roald Dahl they should be excited to read it.

6. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

May 25, 2009

I just finished doing Charlotte's Web with my class. Our literacy coach helped set up a wonderful notebook full of great ideas. Let me know if you want it!
    Sharon

7. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

May 26, 2009

Any Ramona, Junie B. Jones, Roald Dahl, Amber Brown, Babysitters Club book.

8. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

May 27, 2009

My class liked Chocolate Fever, The Mouse and the Motorcycle series (probably best towards the end of the year- a little difficult), and Stone Fox.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 28, 2009

The Phantom Tollbooth went over pretty well.

10. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 24, 2009

I usually start with Freckle Juice because it is an easy read. I also use Magic School Bus Penguin Puzzle,Miss Holly is Too Jolly, Socks(a little more difficult), and sometimes Sarah, Plain and Tall. Won't do that this year, because the 2nd grade teacher borrowed it last year so 1/2 of my students will have read it. Need to find another one.

11. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 24, 2009

I might like to use that. Send me a message and I will give you my email. (Sorry, I'm not the original person that asked- hope that is ok:eek:)
    Angela

12. lemons11

lemons11 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

I like to start with Freckle Juice and then go into Roald Dahl books like the BFG.
    If you google search children's comprehension then they have a good link to other books for this grade level

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 12, 2009

Great suggestions! The other third grade teacher at my school does books from The Magic Treehouse series for novel studies.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2009

The Secret Garden, Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little.

15. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

I usually do some Judy Moody with my class at the beginning of the year. I often try to choose books that fits with a social studies or science theme. For example when we are studying the skeleton one of my groups reads Judy Moody the Dr. is In. Sometimes we do some Magic Tree House but my kids weren't as into those last year. I agree with the Chocolate Touch, The Magic Finger and Sarah Plain and Tall. I like Chocolate Fever but it usually a bit too hard for my classes at the beginning of the year. I also like the Chalkbox Kid for my lower readers.