Novel Study: Number the Stars

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by BreezyGirl, Dec 22, 2015.

1. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Dec 22, 2015

What are your favourite activities? I love this book and will be starting a novel study with my 5/6 class in the new year. I have some activities that I will be doing but would love to hear what has been a hit for other teachers. :)

I also have some students where I would like to challenge them.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 22, 2015

One of my favorites, too. I alwaya had rhem predict what they thought the title meant before they read, then again after they had finished the book. I used it with a unit on WWII. We studied the changes to the way of life in the U.S. in addition to the basics of the war in Europe. After reading NTS, we read a book called Lily's Crossing. It is set on Long Island at that same time to see how the children's lives in that book change when a young boy from Europe is sent near them for safety.

desert flower likes this.
  4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2015

Daisy... I will have to check out that book too. We read number the stars last year.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 22, 2015

It is a very touching book and the kids can relate to the characters very well. It is set in a town on L.I. that my mother used to go to for beach vacations.

6. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Feb 21, 2016

I will be using this book next school year for sure. I want to figure out what to do with it as I will only have 5th grade students.

7. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Feb 21, 2016

I am going to start this novel study in April. I was going to start it in Feb but I managed to fall and fracture my hip. :(

I will let you know how it goes and what we did. I have mainly Grade 5s. Love this book. I am looking forward to this study.

8. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Feb 21, 2016

Awesome and sorry to hear about your hip! I'm getting a reading endorsement this summer so that should help with ELA.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2016

Ugh..sorry about your fall. Did you find a study that you liked for the book?

10. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Apr 17, 2016

How's the Novel Study going?

11. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Apr 17, 2016

I am starting it this week. :) I allowed some extra time for my kids to finish work from the sub. I didn't want them to have to do a book report at home and do a novel study. I'm excited to start it, though.

Anyone else start theirs?

12. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Apr 17, 2016

Oh. And my hip is healing. I'm on one crutch now and the physio is really helping. My class is wonderful. They are making sure that the room is tidy at all times so I don't trip. Hehehe... I have a bunch of sweeties in there.

I start full time this week. Excited!

13. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

May 5, 2016

I have started the novel and the kids are loving it! We have done 4 chapters which they just took a quiz on. Chapter 5 starts tomorrow!

I am using a combination of a novel study book guide I bought at our teacher store and online ideas along with my own. The kids have a novel study binder that keeps all their papers.

1. After each chapter they write a summary that includes what happened as well as new people introduced.

2. I ask them questions and they answer in their journals.

3. We discussed the map of Europe during WW2 and they had an activity where they shaded in countries surrounding Denmark. This was good because they got an idea of how small Denmark is to the surrounding countries.

4. We have made Star of David pendants to look like the necklace. We used sparkly pipe cleaners. Very cute.

5. We are currently working on creating a newspaper as a class that will go on the novel study bulletin board. We will be putting ourselves in Denmark during this time. We will be creating a class version of the "Free Danes."

I have other activities planned: postcards, making food, writing poems, etc... The culminating activity is to compare and contrast Canada to another country. If we have time, we will be looking into ways we can prevent this from happening again.

I love this book. I think it's great for students who are thinkers and can handle the
    serious content.